“It was OK” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Culloden House Motel

Culloden House Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montauk
Culloden House Motel
Save Saved
You added Culloden House Motel to your Saves list
540 West Lake Dr., Montauk, NY 11954   |
Ranked #28 of 39 hotels in Montauk
New York
“It was OK”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We are still here at Culloden House getting ready to check out after a rainy weekend in Montuak. The room was a little run down, however, clean. A paint job and new carpet would improve the room's atmosphere. Maid service was good and the location is nice and convenient. I don't know if I would stay here again, but I am not totally disappointed with the stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

This place was a motel. The owner proprietor was very nice. We had no issues so I can't address that. It was clean , no smells. Therewasafridge and stove sink small coffee pot ,microwave and dishes. Nothing fancy but convenient. The room we had was a queen. We had a decent closet and table w 2 chairs. There was free wi - fi. Which was a huge plus. Some places charge per day for that.

This place would be great for handicapped people in wheelchairs , everything seemed geared for this sort of visitor including a huge bathroom w bars and sink w nothing under it. The plumbing worked fine. The shower was good, clean.
All the decking looked brand new. There were front and back doors to each room. There was a communal back deck that I never saw anyone on. Good place to put your towels, coolers, bikes etc.

This was within walking distance to gosmans , which is on the bay side. You could walk to a quiet beach on the bay. Very beautiful.

This is not walking distance to town or ocean.

All in all I would recommend as a clean comfortable safe and affordable montauk motel.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

With Montauk's transformation in the past four years the true town it was to many people is a tougher find. Culloden House though is what Montauk was and in places if you look, still is. Real walking distance to Gosman's, 5 minute cab ride into town, and right next to the north side beach. Two steps out the door of my room I could see the channel marker blinking.

The rooms are clean, the tv's small as well as the spotless bathroom stocked with clean, new towels. This isn't a posh resort but the perfect spot to crash after a long day fishing, stay the night before to hit the sunrise surf, or just have a place to put your head down after a long Montauk day.

More than one of the best values out there, Culloden House is a piece of Montauk that made it the town it is.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed there with some friends during 2011's Montauk Triathlon because the Harborside was booked out. It's clean, close to the beach. But a little bit of a walk (probably over 10 min) to where the restaurants are clustered. (By the way, West Lake Clam Chowder House, best fish sandwich ever had, so fresh, and the staff/owner are awesome. We went there for dinner 2 nights in a row, highly recommend). Harborside motel and the Snug Harbor is within shorter walking distance to those restaurants. We all in all had a good stay. The only problem is the thin wall. I had to be in bed by 9:30 to be up early for the triathlon, and I forgot my ear plugs, I could hear upstairs walking around, and probably got 5hours of sleep total. I also needed a refund because they made a mistake in the room rates. I read reviews before that people had problems with that, I had to be very tactic about it - They were the most co-operative about that. But truth be told, I got my re-fund without any problem.

Room Tip: Maybe upstairs room be better for the noise.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

I've been here two years in a row. It's a bit out of the way from the main beach and town, but it's quiet and close to the marina and shops and restaurants at Gosman's Dock. The rooms are simple and the blankets dated, but the most important thing is that it's clean. They have rooms with stoves and sinks if you're inclined to cook. TVs aren't big, but they have cable. It's definitely a great deal for the price particularly in Montauk in the summer.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Southbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

After reading some good reviews on this motel, my husband and I decided to give it a try. It was a pleasant surprise. Like much of Montauk which is pricey and run down, The Culloden was clean, up to date and well maintained inside and out. We hope to return soon.

Room Tip: #25 in The Soundviewer
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

We stay in Montauk several times a year from May to September and decided on Thursday before Memorial Day weekend that we wanted a quick escape. It was my husband, myself and my 8 year old child. Only trouble was we could not do the 3 night minimum most places required. Trish at Culloden House answered the phone with a smile, had a great way about her and immediately I felt comfortable booking this Harbor area motel. She did not require a 3 night minimum and the rates were great ($100/night) for Memorial Day weekend. The motel does not have a pool but is across the street from the ocean (access about 200 feet down the road). We were assigned room 20 which has an ocean view (there is another motel across the street). Room was clean and bright. It had a refrigerator. We brought our travel coffee maker. One short block to a great market/deli (expensive but good egg sandwiches and lunch wraps). We got food there each morning and walked over to the beach to enjoy it. There is a BBQ area and tables and large ice maker. The next door neighbor was a heavy snorer and my husband did hear that in the morning but it did not negatively effect trip. Others commented about thin walls in previous posts. They probably are thin but for the price and the cleanliness, it was worth it. Walk to Gosman's Dock for dinner and Ben & Jerry's for Ice Cream. Normally we stay in a little more expensive property but get an efficiency and cook every meal. This time we were able to eat dinner out both nights with the savings from the hotel. For a mom, this was worth it! ***Added bonus, they have beach parking passes to loan out FREE (they return your $20 deposit when you return pass). This was a super extra bonus for us as we like to go the beach by Ditch Plains but do not have parking pass to do so. Other motels charge a per day rate to use the pass but here it was no charge. Basic room with drawers for your clothing, small table for 2, a new clean shower and plenty of towels, color TV and FREE Wi-Fi. You really can't go wrong for the price at Culloden House Motel.

Room Tip: Ask for room 20 if you need a little extra space
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Culloden House Motel? Share your experiences!