“Nice in the off season” 4 of 5 stars

The Montauk Beach House
55 South Elmwood Avenue, Montauk, NY 11954   |
Ranked #22 of 40 Hotels in Montauk
New York City, New York
“Nice in the off season”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Spent last weekend there with my bf and loved the place - it does seem most appropriate for couples and younger folks. Restoration Hardware furnishings, everything new, quiet since it was mid-September and we felt we nearly had the place to ourselves. The Travel Channel was onsite one afternoon to shoot so there was a party with a DJ, but we were aware of the plans and made sure we were on the beach instead lol. All in all, fine service and, while not the Montauk most would come to expect, was a nice change of pace. The bar by the pool was a convenient spot to get champagne, and all the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Thanks we had a great time!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

I am actually speechless! This was very unfortunate in every aspect of the word! This place does not belong in Montauk. "creepy"! I never have written an online review but I really felt the need to try to save someone else the mental anguish that me and my boyfriend encountered. This place is very poorly run. There are young inexperienced people running this place. As someone else stated it was never presented that we had to pay $500 to sit by a pool. The crowd was just weird! The rooms were soooo small with no where to put your belongings. No dressers at all! No shades on the windows to block the light but they felt the need to put a curtain right outside your room. I saw alot of intoxified people almost strangle themselves in the useless curtains. I think they definatwly have their priorities screwed up! But they had a bean bag chair, go figure! We had a room facing the parking lot. The light blaring in the windows kept us up all night! When i complained they dismissed me right away with no solution. I hope this helps someone from wasting their time and money!

• Stayed September 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

I have been going to Monuauk since I was a kid and this was by far the worst experience I have ever had. I booked this hotel obviously for its appealing new decor. When I booked the room at a mere $500 per night, I was not told that we could not sit at the pool without paying an additional $500. When i booked the room I specifically asked if the hotel accomodated children and they said yes there were other families who have stayed there. So for the person that said we chose to have our children go in the pool with a bunch of 20 and 30 year olds, trust me it was misrepresented when I made the reservation. This is Montauk not the Playboy Mansion. The people were groping one another like it was ok. Terrible management also. We were not even given an opportunity to speak to mangement. To me whoever runs this place is a coward. We spent a lot of money and did not choose this atmosphere. I would be shocked if it's open for another season.

• Stayed August 2012
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here as a group of friends primarily for the atmosphere and for a great pool party during the Labor day weekend. Newly opened for this season, the amenities were fresh, hip and modern. The 2 pools with surrounding day beds went with a Miami style which was nice but lacked any umbrellas or misters. Lasting a whole day at the pool party is draining without shade. Pool snacks and drinks were tasty and the bar staff was nice.
The rooms were amusing. Based on the description given at reservations, we were expecting 2 queen beds and one bunk bed. The reality was 2 bunk beds (double on the bottom and a single on top). Considering we had booked rather last minute, none of us minded that we were at an expensive overnight camp. I wish I had a photo. Otherwise, the rooms were clean with simple decor. Instead of a couch, we had a giant bean bag. Also there are no drawers or closets only a hanging rack and a row of hooks. These details really didn't bother us but for others it may help you pack accordingly. The beds were very comfortable and I loved the down pillows. Air conditioning was icy cold and maid service was considerate.
The location of the hotel is unbeatable. Within walking distance is the beach, shops, restaurants, and our favorite spots. I would not recommend this as a family vacation stay though 2 families decided to have their kids swim/play alongside groups of 20's/30's drinking in the pool and the DJ pumping out tunes. If you're looking for a short stay in Montauk with a relaxed upscale social scene, this is the place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

This place was not at all officially run.this place ruins the whole concept of montauk...family.a bunch of drunk people everywhere and is basically a club.the owner showed no responsibility when I asked to talk to him.when I asked to talk to him he sent over a front desk women.he made the front desk women tell me that he was somewhere else when I saw him drinking by the pool.if u do stay here and want to lay back and enjoy the pool u have to pay 500 $$ per seAt. Nothing really good to say about this place!!

• Stayed August 2012
ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

It's definitely not a family-friendly place - it's meant for young, beautiful people, but it's very nice. The rooms are small but well appointed. There is no closet but for a quick stay the hooks will do. The bathroom is tiny but has great water pressure (and lovely bath products). The linens could be cleaner but they are definitely luxury quality. The rooms could stand to have a bit more light - the dark decor is lovely but it's hard to see anything (especially if you are trying to put on makeup). All in all - lovely hotel option and new addition to Montauk. P.S. CRAZY prices so you can't be price sensitive to go.

Room Tip: Be careful not to get a room facing the pool on a party night - no sleep due to the partying.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Ashland, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We had a terrific time at The Montauk Beach House during our 4 day, mid-week trip to Montauk in July just a week after they opened. The staff couldn't have been more helpful, and the owners and business partners were always on-site. It was an added bonus to us that the owners mingled with the guests to insure that they were enjoying their stay and have a perfect experience. After having met the owners, we are certain this was by design and not by accident. It is newly owned and newly refurbished and clearly a property where the owners planned every little detail intending to create an upscale, boutique hotel with sophisticated decor and service. It is a property that would appeal to clientele who would appreciate attention to service and style. The in-town location made it convenient to beach as well as to shopping and restaurants by just walking. It should be noted that such in-town convenience lends itself to the sounds of everyday tourists, residents and services as well. Staff, maid service and pool attention were superb. It was casual and relaxing. The amenities leaned more towards an adult guest resort than a family hotel although families were guests as well. There is no restaurant on premises, but there is a lovely coffee shop reception room with music, a wonderful pool with awesome lounge seating and a cozy and welcoming bar for friendly, easy socializing. No matter who passed by the hotel, they were intrigued by it and it was so attractive many were drawn in to take a look. We look forward to returning and revisiting our new friends at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Montauk Beach House? Share your experiences!