“Don't understand the negative reviews” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sands Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montauk
Sands Motel
You added Sands Motel to your Saves list
South Emery St. and South Emerson Ave., Montauk, NY 11954   |
Ranked #28 of 40 Hotels in Montauk
NY
“Don't understand the negative reviews”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

We're two mature women who go here every year for our "girls away at the beach" retreat. The room has always been ready early when we get here around 11 am. The pool is nice, it's steps from the beach, and conveniently located 2 blocks from the main street and resturants. Once we park our car, for the next two days we can walk to everything. We stay in the separate suites bulding. Large bedroom, clean bathroom and kitchen/dining area with private terrace. Smaller separate parking lot. I don't understand the comments about staff being unfriendly. We have always found them nice. We are planning to come back here next year for our 2012 retreat. I would recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
di2254, Owner at Sands Motel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank you, Ms. Pocchia for your review. We always look forward to seeing you for your "girls retreat."

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

Our room was a pricey little sucker and stinky too...literally. Close to the beach and a clean pool were about all this motel had to offer. Actually the room was tidy as well...but I didn't trust it due to the strange odor that kind of choked you until you got used to it. Did someone die there recently? I wonder. I still can't get past how much it cost my friend and I to stay one night ....It was more than some NYC hotels ($240)!!!!! All in all Montauk is a great beach town and my friend and I had a blast. Anyway...this was better than where we almost stayed (Ronjo).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Smithtown, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

Number one this place is not cheap. As for the people running this place, they need a lesson in hospitality. When I go to a place to vacation, I dont care for top five star service but a little service would be nice. Talk about rude. We had 5 rooms at this place so we were paying for what I could see is their income for the week. I have never stayed at a place where I didnt feel welcome except this place. I had people drive out for the day to go to the beach and as soon as they pulled into the empty parking lot, the owners were tryingto get money from them. They were asking if they were going to be using the showers or the pool so they could charge them 30 dollars. EACH. Well we had more people coming out and they wantedto stay overnight. For conveience we asked how much for two more rooms. I could believe my ears. This place was empty and they wanted 260.00 for one night. That was 100 dollars more than I spent for this dump. AND THE PLACE WAS EMPTY. We went down the road to Dautes and got two more rooms for 110. Here is the kicker. WHen we checked out the owner asked who stayed in my room. My son was standing around and she tried to get 30 dollars from my wife, I could not believe my ears. He didnt stay there. The next thing is the icing on the cake for the rudest people in Montauk. We stayed there for a few nights we checked out and were on our laptop trying to look something up and sitting outside. The owner and the worker guy come walking up to the table we were sitting at and get this and I qoute "You need to move this is where we eat our lunch" twelve tables nobody around but we need to move. NEVER AGAIN RUN THE OTHER WAY. give your money to someone else

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
nEW YORK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

What a great charming place right in the heart of Montauk. The bathrooms looked brand new, the beds were great and everything was SUPER CLEAN!!!! Some people on here complained about the balconies but it allowed us to meet a great group of people we now call friends. They took us the day of for 1 night only for a great price! Seemed to be the most reasonable in town. They have a pool and a very nice staff! They accomodated all our requests and let us park in their lot even when we checked out for the day. There are plenty of clean bbqs, and the rooms were super quiet..never heard our neighbors. Water pressure and tempature were perfect. They are not on the ocean, but right across the street which is close enough and this part of the beach is very quiet (the beach and pool at Royal Atlantic was over crowded..not for us!! Looking for a quaint clean inexpensive place to stay, I strongly recommend the Sands Motel! You won't regret it and you will always cherish one of the greatest charms of Montauk!

Room Tip: Get the top floor with the balcony, room 29!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I have been staying at the sands for a number of years. I enjoy it becuase of the great location, situation right across the street from the beach. Its almost like your own private beach since the other hotels are down a ways. There is the grocery store right behind you to get sandwiches and snacks for your beach trip every day. Reasonably priced for Montauk.

The one thing that never changes in the attitude you receive from the front desk. Booking a room seems like you are bothering whoever answers the phone. To me, i would think they would be delighted for the business but when you get off the phone you have an uneasy sense of what you are going to discover when you arrive at The Sands. I recently called to ask about the cottages and how many were available to set up a surprise birthday, i received an answer of well i have one.... So i asked if they were booked all summer and he said pretty much. Not accomodating or trying to help or tell me my other options. If this place wasnt so conveniently located i would go elsewhere.

I guess they missed the memo on being HOSPITABLE when you are in the HOSPITALITY business.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

Well it was really fun I have been going with my family since I was probably in 1st grade (im a child) I love the pool and beach plus the swing set by the pool its really fun but last year we ran into some problems. Well once we got there I wanted to watch some T.V so I took the remote and it did'nt work so I opened up the back and guess what I found out? SOMEBODY TOOK THE BATTERIES!!! Then we opened up the fridge and there was food in there even in the cabinets above the sink and oven.The A.C did'nt work at all so we called downstairs and told them and they said a guy would be up there soon so we waited and waited but no guy came so we called back down and told them AGAIN I actually forgot what my brother said but then the man came and fixed it (New one). I opened up the door to go on the deck and this piece on top that holds the curtains fell right on my forhead and gave me a ernormus scratch. Internet does'nt really work there either it keeps on going out it's really annoying, They had to clean the pool because somebody went pee in it but that did'nt stop people from going in after it was cleaned up. The pool is a great place to swim,tan,and relax but you gotta be 18 or older to be in there so either go with an adult or sibling.The swings are mostly fun while waiting to go into the pool or something you can also play shuffle borad and take long walks on the beach or through town maybe even to the game room.The game room is really fun last year I won prizes so did my brothers and sister.

Room Tip: Have a lot of FUN!
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Orange, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

I am a contractor with a passion for fishing. I've been staying at this hotel for 3+ years for work and fun because it's simply the best around. There are a variety of rooms - singles to a condo with 2 bedrooms and a full kitchen. The rooms are clean and equipped with everything that you need, and the staff is fantastic. The rates are very competitive. The hotel is across the street from the beach, and next to the center of town. There are several restaurants and bars in walking distance. The hotel has a beautiful pool and is family friendly.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Been to Sands Motel? Share your experiences!