“Could have done better...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Harborside Resort Motel

Harborside Resort Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Montauk
Harborside Resort Motel
You added Harborside Resort Motel to your Saves list
371 West Lake Dr., Montauk, NY 11954   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Montauk
Brooklyn, New York
“Could have done better...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

Just got back from a stay at the Harborside and have to say I was a little dissapointed. The location is somewhat odd, the establishment is located on West Lake Drive which can be a somewhat busy street and is across the street from two marinas - (each of which have restaurants!).

Despite the odd location after coming out from the city it was nice to see the calmness of Montauk. We were assigned to Room 21 which appears to have been one of the rooms that has not been fully renovated (as opposed to the others). The room was huge though but it featured an old air conditioner that was placed in the bathroom area so air that came out wouldnt flow into the room. The room featured a small room with a sink and AC and then another room with a toilet and a small tub. The area around the bathroom was very outdated...old wood.

There were two beds, two sitting chairs, a desk and a small TV which had a ton of chanels. Outside there is a parking lot, a fenced in outdoor pool which was very clean and tennis courts in the back.

What didnt go over so well with me was that a day after we arrived a group of individuals checked in and were assigned to the room next to us (room 23) which appears to have been renovated. Room 23 had a new air conditioner that was placed in the room and not in the bathroom, had the refrigerator and TV on a new piece of furniture and had new windows that opened up. These group of individuals also felt the need to walk outside the rooms at all hours of the night while partaking in drinking. Why my family and I were not given this room is beyond me. When I pay close to $200 for a room that I booked directly through the hotel and not through Priceline or Expedia I expect a decent room considering I can get a hotel room for a little more then $200 in Manhattan.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2007

Cheapest place we could find in Montauk. Provided a nice, clean, comfortable room. Nothing fancy, but more than suitable. Fine location.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Size of the bathroom
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
staten island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2007

I am a globe hopper. Thanks to my job as an entertainer; I have traveled afar. I am now a spoilt tourist, with unique tastes and demands especially on the places I choose for my accommodation, be they hotels, motels or apartments. They must provide me with the comforts of being at home; away from home.

As it turned out, that was indeed the magical moments I enjoyed at Harborside Motel. It is a resort with a difference. It’s where the ambiance is beautiful and serene. The service is prompt and efficient and the staff is ever so courteous.

Harborside is constantly maintained by a devout staff that dutifully addresses your concerns. The rooms are exceptionally clean and well furnished. The pool and the tennis court are invigorating challenges to any sport enthusiast.

“Merle,” as her clients simply refer to her, is the manageress. She is quite an inspiration to her many guests. She is the innovator in making your stay at Montauk Harborside Motel, an indelible experience.

Thank you Merle for the courtesies I was able to enjoy. I felt at home, away from home and it was absolutely stupendous.

-Clarke

• Liked — the excellant attention that was given to me and my friends
  • Disliked — the beach front was a bit stony
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
Danville PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2007

After staying in Montauk for over 40+ summers, we have found the Harborside to be one of the nicest places at Montauk. The staff is outstanding and go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. Close to the Docks and Fishing, but only minutes to the ocean beach. Plenty of great restaurants nearby.

• Liked — Staff, Quiet friendly suroundings
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2007

We stayed at Harborside during the off-season in March. The Harborside is a no frills, clean, pleasant motel. The room we had was an efficiency and was very clean. However, everything in the room was very outdated. The TV was from the 80's possibly 70's, the phone, it even had a percolator! Everything functioned fine but it was like being in a time warp.

No tub, but a fairly new looking large shower unit. The location is great and judging by the other nearby motels outside appearance (run down and scary), this is definitely the nicest and cutest. It is also affordable, but again it was the off season. i would stay at the Harborside again if I were looking to save some dough and wanted a basic, clean, safe place to stay.

• Liked — location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — outdated-ness, drab looking
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Hyde Park, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Harborside recently and have decided it is the best kept secret in Montauk. Clean rooms, friendly staff, well maintained. You can walk to the Dock, play tennis or just sit by the pool and relax. Merle was very nice and helped to make our stay enjoyable. I would definitely recommend the Harborside.

• Liked — Clean rooms and friendly staff and quiet
  • Disliked — No coffee on premises in the morning
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
Holtsville, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

Last minute, I was looking for a place for my wife and I to stay for one night without breaking the bank. I am also very particular about where I stay - cleanliness is my number one factor. And I almost never stay at motels - I prefer the chain hotels, but this is not an option in Montauk. After searching the net and finding numerous Montauk motels, which either had minimum stays, prices over $200 or poor reviews, I decided to give the Harborside a call, given all the positive reviews on TripAdvisor. Luckily they had 2 rooms available - I chose the 2nd floor which is normally my preference. For $165, it seemed like a good price, so I was wondering if there was a catch. I checked out the photos on the motel's website and it seemed fine though.

Driving toward the hotel, I was nervous about what it would look like, but upon getting to the Harborside, I breathed a sigh of relief. It seems to have been updated recently (roofs, etc.) and is maintained very well. The 2nd floor room, while decorated in 90's style (white formica furniture and pastel colored bedspreads), was very clean and neat. The beds were OK - not the most comfortable, but better than expected.

The pool and pool area are very well maintained. We happened to watch the maintenance person spend a lot of time carefully cleaning it the next morning.

The motel is conveniently located and easy to find. It's not walking distance to a beach, but reading other reviews it sounds like mangement has passes to give out (we didn't take advantage of this due to lack of time).

Overall, we didn't spend much time at the Harborside, but for a picky person like me, I would definitely make this my choice again if staying in Montauk. I suggest the 2nd floor rooms as I believe they were updated a lot more recently than the first floor.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Could not walk to beach
  • Tips/Secrets — 2nd floor rooms are updated
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Harborside Resort Motel? Share your experiences!