“Just Perfect!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Burcliffe "By The Sea"

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montauk
Burcliffe "By The Sea"
Save Saved
You added Burcliffe "By The Sea" to your Saves list
397 Old Montauk Hwy., Montauk, NY 11954   |
Larchmont, New York, United States
“Just Perfect!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My 15-year-old daughter and I wanted to go to the beach for a couple of days, and I am so happy we found Burcliffe by the Sea! The room was clean and spacious (though not updated) and had a lovely patio with a view of the ocean. The owners were courteous and professional, and best of all the beach was beautiful and pretty much empty. Because Burcliffe is not surrounded by other hotels/motels, it really feels like it has its own private beach! Town is only a 5 minute drive away, We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

My husband and I booked Burcliffe at the last minute for Memoral Day weekend. We choice first, on availability and second, because they are pet friendly! It was great to be be able to bring our Morkie pup and have the beach right across the street. The owners were beyond nice and the studios were amazingly clean. We would stay here again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Forest Hills
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

I work in NYC in a cancer hospital and my days are long. This is the one place where as soon as I get in my car and start driving east I leave my stress behind and I begin to decompress. It is like coming home again...each and every time. I have been going to Burcliffe for way over 10 years. Currently, Robert and Lorna are the main keepers/owners of this long established family run business which only continues to get better and more beautiful with the passing years. It is clean like your mother would keep it clean, safe so you can feel secure and sleep without any worries, private and not crowded and it keeps on getting better. There are new mattresses, new TVs, new carpet, new drapes. Eachand every time I come I discover some new improvement. I could not ask for more becaue the simple pleasures of life are to be enjoyed here.

Room Tip: Bedding, bath towels, hairdryer, pots, pans, glasses, utensils are provided
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Best thing about this place is that it is away from the main stretch of B&B and Motels on Old Montauk Highway, giving it a secluded quietness and tranquility.

It is across the road and the dune from the wide sandy beach. Such a nice feeling to walk briefly up the dune and arrive at our room for a warm shower.

We stayed in oen of the efficiencies. They are on top of a grassy slope, overlooking the Atlantic. I could have stayed on the porch all day if the beach weren't calling to us so strongly.

Our room was very clean. Nice carpeted floor; comfortable couches; equipped with tv and air conditioner, dining table, a double bed and a twin bed. I love the spacious bathroom. The porch had reclining chairs on which we spent much time reading. Between the porch and the room is a large glass door entrance through which sunlight generously pour in.

Our efficiency had a well-equipped kitchen, with fridge + small freezer, microwave, pots and pans, plates and silverware, kettle, coffee maker, tea bags, salt and pepper...

Nowhere to eat nearby so we had lunch in town before arriving, and ordered in for dinner. We could have cooked too if we wanted to.

It was about $10 short cab ride from the main town area where restaurants and shops were. The ride to the train station was also $10.

The owners were gracious and very helpful. We called them several times before we arrived for various advice.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Forest Hills, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

We have been staying at Burcliffe during the summer months for the past 10 years, and we were hooked during our very first stay. Owners, Bob and Lorna Burke are gracious hosts, and very accomodating. We stayed in a studio efficiency that was spotless, with a private deck overlooking the blue Atlantic. Just a short one-minute walk through the dunes, and you find yourself in an uncrowded, beautiful clean beach. The beach is good for boogie boarding, surfing, and fishing. You are far away from the bustle of the town beaches. The grounds at Burcliffe offer privacy. You could lounge, or cook at one of the grills in the backyard without seeing anyone. This is truly a home away from home, and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

This was the first time we stayed at Burcliffe by the Sea. We had read all of the excellent reviews on TripAdvisor and decided to try it out. We went for a weekend and we were very impressed with the 1 bedroom cottage we rented, The cottage is rustic and charming it had a kitchen, dining room, living room with a wood burning stove and the bedroom had a queen size and twin size bed. The beds were extremely comfortable. We had our own pation with table, umbrella and chairs along with an area to barbecue. The ocean was right across the street, just a minute walk over the dunes. Lorna and Bob were very accommodating and friendly. The day we got there was very foggy and we wanted to take a walk to a nearby restaurant and they gave us flashlights. The beach was spectacular. There are plenty of good restaurants a short drive away. I can't say enough about this place and highly recommend it if your looking to lay back and relax in a tranquil setting. We are planning to go back next summer.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Manhattan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

Burcliffe is just lovely. The efficiency I stayed in definitely has a motel not hotel feeling - yet immaculate and clearly excellently cared for by the gracious owners Bob and Lorna.
The bathroom was new and spotless, the kitchen exceptionally clean and stocked with all cooking essentials, the TV was flat screen and the WIFI appreciated.
The view from my room was tree tops and the ocean beyond, which lies directly across the road, and my little deck area was sweet.
The landscaping here is beautiful, and the beach is found through a small path across the road which leads to a more tranquil stretch of Montauk.
If you want a peaceful getaway, this is the biggest bang for your buck!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Been to Burcliffe "By The Sea"? Share your experiences!