“Excellent family condo hotel with a good location” 4 of 5 stars

You added Beachcomber Resort At Montauk to your Saves list
Beachcomber Resort At Montauk
727 Old Montauk Hwy, Montauk, NY 11954   |
Ranked #4 of 39 hotels in Montauk
“Excellent family condo hotel with a good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Spent a week here with my husband, 9 year old and( part of the time) 20 year old. We stayed in unit 210 which is a lower unit in the front building. The upper units get sun on the balconies and probably have a better view of the ocean, but the lower units are shady and you can sit out if it rains which we prefer. The front building is a shorter walk to the beach which when you are carrying your gear and have young kids is a consideration. This room is a studio but it was very large and I did not feel crowded with our crew. If the 20 year old had spent the entire week, I might have. There is a comfortable queen bed and pull out couch that was reported comfortable by the kids. Plenty of clothes storage (furniture looks new) and a closet and hooks. There is a flat screen tv that can be angled for viewing. Free wifi. A little slow at times but we were satisfied. Nicely appointed kitchenette that had everything we needed including a dishwasher. They give you detergent for dishwasher and sink, paper towels and toiletries. We ate breakfast and about half our lunches and cooked one 1 dinner in the room. The bathroom sink is separate from the shower/toilet which is handy when you have several folks getting ready at once. The sink area is new. The shower was not but had good water pressure and plenty of hot water which is all I care about. The room was clean when we got there. We had the choice of daily maidservice but we chose to have it cleaned once while we were there and had towels changed once. (We had our own beach towels and they provide towels for use at the pool.) The room towels were good - I really hate it when they are scratchy.

The heated pool is very nice and landscaped prettily. A heated pool made a big difference to our stay in June when ocean is still cold. My daughter couldn't get enough of it and there were other kids for her to play with. The pool was behind our building but the rear buildings have a view. If you have a few kids who are old enough and can go down together, a rear unit with a view might be nice for parents who don't want to go to the pool, but can sit on the balcony and watch them. There is an attendant on duty and plenty of towels and chairs. There are umbrellas for shade. Pool has a shallow and deep end. There is an outdoor shower which was handy for getting sand off when coming from the beach. I found out halfway throught the week that there are showers, changing rooms, sauna and vending machines for drinks/ice cream in the buidling closest to the pool. There is a tennis court as well.

The walk to the beach is down a path lined with wild flowers and bushes. The beach is wide and clean. We were there in June so the water was pretty cold, but we waded and dug in the sand and took walks. We loved it. You might want water shoes if shells/rocks bother you a lot in the water. Lots of cool birds diving for fish and if you went early (before 9 am), people walking their dogs on the beach. If you want a lifeguard you can drive about 1/2 mile to a free parkiing lot at the edge of town where there is a lifeguard.

A paved walking/running path runs along the beach side of the road that the resort is on. My husband and I took several long walks on this in the mornings. Lots of walkers, runners, bikers along the way. Beautiful views, nice houses to look at.

One night my daughter and I got a free firework viewing by standing in front of our unit and looking down the beach. My kids went to see a first run kids movie at the small seasonal theater in Montauk (no 3-d) and had a good time.

Five minutes away by car in town, there is a park in town with a pier on a lake. The 9 year old went fishing here. Didn't catch anything but we saw lots of wildlife and spent a pleasant hour there.

It's 1.5 miles to the center of town where you can pick up anything you might have forgotten -pool toys, flip flops, - or to pick up breakfast or lunch. The grocery store is very expensive so you may want to bring stuff with you. Also bring sunblock - it was really expensive.

We ate out quite a bit and I have posted reviews. We also visited the Montauk Lighthouse which was great.

We would definitley stay at the Beachcomer again. Convenient, comfortable and clean with a great pool.

Room Tip: If you like a shady patio and the choice to sit outside if it's raining, choose a lower unit. If...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Had a great two nights $275 per night though, Beautiful views nice pool which is very small for such a big property. Decent tennis court and hotel staff. Check in and check out was simple. Every room is individually owned so each room is a different decor. Ours was stuck in the late 80's early 90's and the shower could use a refurbish. It was also odd that the kitchen was next to the bed. Dune resorts seems to have a monopoly in the hamptons so all the rates are high and around the same.

Room Tip: Pick an upstairs room for the views
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

What a great place to stay, and what fabulous management! You know your stay is going to be great when the first person you meet is the manager, and she is fantastic! Liz was so sweet and funny while we checked in. What a fun place to work! I told her that I would come and work for her ANY TIME!
Our room was comfortable and clean. And our stay couldn't have been better. Thanks for a great vacation, Montauk! See you again soon!

• Stayed July 2012
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I haven't ever stayed out on Montauk before, and what a great experience it was! The Beachcomber Resort is top notch, and the staff there outshines the sun in the sky! Liz was especially knowledgable about what there was to do in Montauk besides go to the beach. Not only did she share a list of possible things to do, but she also called to check avalibility! It's not often that you find that kind of customer service.
The room was clean and comfortable. We were very pleased. We would stay there again, and again, and again!
Big thanks to Liz, Stacy and the other staff members at Beachcomber Resort for making our first family vacation to Montauk an enjoyable one!! We'll be back as soon as we can!!

Room Tip: Just ask Liz!! She helped us get the best bang for our buck!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I've stayed here for a few years - along with a number of other wonderful DUNE resorts. We checked in this past Thursday, already having prior approval for early check-in (at 1.30pm instead of 3). When we went into the lobby at about 1pm, hoping to check in even a few minutes earlier since we beat traffic...the weather was beautiful -- so we just wanted to drop our stuff off and hit the beach!

When we CALMLY discussed the early check-in with the lady at the front desk, the manager named LIZ came out, guns blazing. She was extremely aggressive and unprofessional, telling us all check-ins were at three (even though we were explicitly told 1.30pm was suitable a few days beforehand), and essentially called us liars to our face. She treated us as if we were inmates, not caring that we were paying customers. I want to reiterate the fact that we were not unruly customers - we were civil and kind the entire time. There was no apology, not even when we tried got Dune management on the telephone after this occurred.

I am absolutely floored and disgusted that this woman named Liz is allowed to be an employee at the resort, let alone even be considered a manager.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Elizabeth G, General Manager at Beachcomber Resort At Montauk, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
In regards to the above mentioned post I do believe that you called a few days prior to your arrival and at that time the unit was probably not booked the night before and therefore you were extend a courtesy of an early check in. With this oppressive heat we have had people are booking reservations last minute. Regardless that you arrived at 12:34, as our system notates the time and date each and every time we open a reservation, we also take down contact numbers so we may contact you as soon as the room is ready. Clearly the room was not ready or I would have been more than happy to accommodate you. We in fact put priority on your room and checked you in at 1:47pm. There are many guests who do the same thing as yourself to get an early start to beat the traffic, I apologize that you could not get in your room 2 hours early as we have many check ins and check outs. Our housekeeping effort strives for excellence and every minute counts for my staff to do room turnovers. I take pride in my position as manager and always go above and beyond to make sure guests are satisfied as you can clearly see from other posts. We endeavor to make all of our guests feel welcome and satisfied with the service they receive as well as the accommodations they occupy. It is our goal that all of our guests be happy with their overall experience at the Beachcomber Resort at Montauk.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Our first stay was back in June, the room was clan and the staff was great.... My 4 year old daughters Teddy bear must have gotten mixed up with the laundry ... when we figured out it had gone missing my husband and I were beside ourselves knowing what bedtime was going to be like. We went to the office and the entire staff it seems was deployed to find that bear. The manager came to us by the pool with the bear ( it's name is jaja) and had a note that said what an adventure jaja had been on but how happy he was to be back in time for bedtime. My little girl hugged that poor woman and got her soaked and the manager just laughed. FOR this alone I will recommend the Beachcomber every time a great staff!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I booked this hotel for my daughter and her friends (all of which were over 25) for a girl's weekend. The girls did not know what to expect but when they called me from the hotel they were so excited. The room was perfect with a kitchenette. It was sparkling clean, beds were comfortable and the service impeccable. The pool was great and the beach was just across the street and beautiful.
Staff was excellent from the front desk, house cleaners. and any other staff we met.
My daughter and her three friends feel the Beachcomber Resort and was an excellent choice. They all said "they will be back"!!!
If you are visiting Montauk and want an excellent vacation...stay at the Beachcomber Resort!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Beachcomber Resort At Montauk? Share your experiences!