“Worst experience ever- watch your credit card!” 1 of 5 stars

Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   290 Old Montauk Highway, Montauk, NY 11954   |
Ranked #19 of 40 Hotels in Montauk
Queens, New York
“Worst experience ever- watch your credit card!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

My husband & I went for a long needed what we thought would be relaxing weekend. We should have listened to other reviewers but did not. Everything went wrong. Although the room was OK, and the view of the ocean beautiful, it could not make up for what we went through. Having a bad back and leg, I looked forward to the treatments, but came home in worst shape from them. My one nice day at the beach was interrupted b/c the hairdresser did not show up, so the receptionist had to blow out my hair in the early afternoon. Then there was no sun, so I looked forward to my tanning service, but the machine broke. The restaurant, food and service was terrible. But, the worst part started when we checked out. The girl at the front desk attempted to overcharge us $500, which would have meant that my 2 day weekend stay, instead of being a "mere" $1800 would be $2300. After objecting strenuously, a manager finally came out and corrected the bill, taking off the non-existent $500 charge. But that was not the end - 2 days after arriving home a $431.00 fraudulent charge appeared on my checking acc't. When I called Gurneys they blamed it on the bank!(what?) They did nothing, and I had to go to the bank to dispute the charge, and of course it was immediately removed, since there was no such legitimate charge made. This became one of the most stressful times for me, and I tried over and over again to speak to Christine, who was in charge, and instead of her returning my calls, being apologetic, offering compensation for so much stress, she threatened me with harassment. I know that they are fighting over whether or not to close the inn entirely, and they don't seem to care whatsoever about the maintenance of it, or the service to the guests. I have been to and reviewed many other hotels on this site, always favorably and I strongly suggest that if you are considering a stay at Gurneys, and do not want to heed my advice or that of so many other bad reviewers, watch your bill carefully!!! Seriously, don't go!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

Staying at Gurney's on an off-peak weekend was the best plan I could have made for a weekend mini-honeymoon. We almost had the place to ourselves. I read reviews here and was horrified that I would be regretting every minute. Quite the opposite, I found the room cozy and clean - not moldy and shabby like the reviews said. The meals which were practically covered in the cost of the room were good, service was good, selection was excellent. Get a prenatal massage with Joan, the sweetest massage therapist who knew exactly what she was doing. The heated saltwater pool was luxurious and I was so happy all of you complainers were just that - people who like to complain.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Long Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

My mom and I have always enjoyed our self at Gurney Inn.
The staff is excellent and go out of their way for you.My mom had three teeth pulled and had a hard time finding something to eat on the menu thanks to the staff and chef she find food to eat. They were very helpful,thank you all.
I would highly recommend this great resort !!!!

Stayed February 2009
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

My mother and I had driven out to Gurney's the day of New Years Eve, even through a snow storm..they were expecting about 5 to 7 inches up until 8pm that evening. We checked in and settled into our suite - which was beautiful and very comfortable, plus we had a very nice view. Afterwards we had dined at the Sea Grille, and had a wonderful lunch there, then made some late afternoon appointments at the Spa.

The New Years Eve party was so much fun, between the lovely cocktail hour, then the dinner afterwards. The live music was great, met wonderful people throughout the night, so overall it was a great success.

We will be back to Gurney's soon :).

• Liked — Just very relaxing to be there.
  • Disliked — Nothing I can think of.
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2008

Ok, so it is not perfect - but if your looking for a great place to just relax, then this is the place. I think it is more hectic in the summer, but the winter months are less crowded. The spa facility is very peaceful, and Vivienne was more than attentive. Christina, in the salon gave the best manicure and pedicure. Mine lasted at least 12 days. The salon Manager Candy was very efficient making my experience more than satisfactory. Roberto in the gym was great at explaining the equipment, and handing out towels. The best part??? The bakery. They have these pretzel looking pastries that are sprinkled with powder sugar and drizzled with dark chocolate. Perfect after a good work out. The rare tuna on garlic bread with some kind of sauce was the best I ever had, and I dont usually eat fish. We were there for Valentines day dinner last year, and the food was out of this world. We are planning on going back.

• Liked — Very friendly staff.
  • Disliked — Going outside from roomto spa
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2008

My husband and I went to Gurney's for the beautiful location - overlooking the beach and the spa.

The spa is wonderful, the treatments, massage, the facilities are gorgeous. Staff are kind and pleasant. The yoga classes are great. The gym is reasonably good too if a bit cramped. The rooms are old but acceptable.

The first major problem is the food: it is unbelievably bad. We only ate there (this time - we have been there before) because the resturant in which we had hoped to dine was unexpectedly closed.

The second was the scheduling. Now at first this might not seem like a big deal: classes at the spa, start at around 8:10 in the morning. Well if you want to take a class it might be nice not to have to rush through breakfast. But this is what one has to do because breakfast is not served until 7:30 in the morning - in the hotel dining room.

To make matters worse when we complained, and we did, twice, and asked to speak to management nobody followed up with us. When we asked to speak to a manager before we left, he was apparently unavailable or could not be found then either. This left us feeling essentially ignored.

• Liked — location and the spa
  • Disliked — The attitude of management - multiple requests to speak to a manager were essentially ignored
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Deer Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2008

Montauk, Gurney's Inn
Stay-November 28-December 05,2008.
Janet and Frank from Deer Park
Had the most restful and enjoyable stay at Gurney's Inn. My husband and I own one winter timeshare and one summer timeshare. We absolutly love both times of the year. Winter time we take advantage of the wonderful spa facilities and in the summer we enjoy the world's most beautiful beach.... We have a fantastic view with the ocean right in front of us. The whole resort is spotlessly clean. The staff is always doing something. The management is terrific, Mr. Paul Monte is a wonderful person, caring and willing to make your stay at the Inn very pleasant. The food is excellent quailty and presented gourmet style. For the location the Inn is very reasonably priced and so are the restaurants at the Inn. My husband and I have done lots of traveling and we love Gurney's the best. Just a drive of 2 hours and no hustle and bustle of the airport and airlines. This is the way to go. Also the spot to got to..

• Liked — Looking at the ocean. The cleanlyness of room. The wrapped wround decking.
  • Disliked — Not a thing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa? Share your experiences!