“nice relaxing time.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 40 Hotels in Montauk
Brooklyn, New York
“nice relaxing time.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed here saturday 3/2 into sunday 3/3. The resort is like going back in time when you first pull up, however there have been alot of updates done. the welcome area for check in is very cozy, and the rooms are very nice with all the amenities you would need. the bed was very comfortable and so was the sofa we had in the room. we stayed in room 102 which was right on the beach the patio was very clean and the view was awesome. just keep in mind when you stay down on that level there are alot of steps to climb. if you do not like to go up and down stairs that is not the area for you. we ate at the restaurant sea grille, it was pretty good but the service was lacking. i think since it was off season that they were short handed so i do not think slow service would happen during peak seasons. if you are looking for a nice quiet weekend and do not mind paying for it , give this place a chance. Also if you try the spa it was very nice but it also will cost you some nice bucks.
my recommendation is try off peak like september,october because there are less crowds and you can still have nice weather to enjoy.

Room Tip: check how many flights of stairs you have to climb before booking your room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
East Islip, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed overnight and it was wonderful! The ocean front room was georgus, and so was the balcony. We were there for thier christmas party and it was a lot of fun. there was an open bar and non stop food. they had a live band and lots of dancing. I would def recomend gurneys for a couples retreat!!!! Ginney our host was so helpful getting our trip ready and she made sure our requests were met. She is the best!!!!!!! If you stay here you wont be disappointed. Trust me :)

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view but ask for ocean front rooms. Much better location in the resort
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My friends and I were staying at Lenhart's Cottages just down the road from Gurney's and decided to come for lunch and the view. The view was amazing, the food and the service were sadly lacking. The best part of the meal were the crackers they serve in lieu of bread and the french fries. As we walked to the Hostess stand we were greeted by a server who immediately told us breakfast was over at 11, then asked us what time it was. We told her it was 11:20 and she proceded to walk away. The manager came out and seated us immediately with the lunch menus we were there for. I ordered the French Dip and it had no seasoning or flavor. I didn't even bother eating more than a few bites. My friends ordered the Turkey Club witch was average and the Tuna Salad which was good but nothing special. Our server was fairly absent and uninterested our experience. After looking online I was not surprised to find that this resort had recently been on an episode of Hotel Impossible on the Travel Channel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Southold, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

To be fair, I have stayed here overnight only once--but come here several times a winter as an escape. The rooms are adequate and cheaper during the off season--
But Gurneys is really about a state of mind--relaxation.
My 20 something daughter says this is like spending a day in the Bahamas. We pay for a daily visit and swim, relax on the lounge chairs in the sun(inside)- and enjoy the whirlpool.
My 70 something mom loves to swim in the salt water pool and take some pressure off her arthritis.
I love the escape, the water, the staff and going with other women.
The massages are totally relaxing and the whole atmosphere is one of pampering.
Definitely a favorite winter place!
Take a drive even if you only have a day.

• Stayed January 2013
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Not the typical Montauk Hotel. First time we had stayed here. A Sunday overnight. Place is dated, but the room was surprisingly nice and clean. Had a junior suite. The bathroom had been redone nicely. Staff was helpful, took the time to show us around the place. Restaurants were very good, food was fresh and tasty. Get the meal plan. The Spa was great, had a nice couples massage. It's off season so it is not so crowded. Place is no 5 star resort, but it is a nice getaway. Will definitely come back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My girlfriends and I have been coming to Gurneys for 10 years now for an annual girls weekend. We always come on Martin Luther King weekend in January. We are part of a large group so we get a group discount on the room with the meal plan, breakfast & dinner. This property has recently been " freshened up" in the common areas as it was unchanged for many years. We always have a great time but I think that this property that is billed as a " luxury resort" may be overrated. The rooms have not changed in all the years as well as the buffet dinners. The buffet is definitely hit or miss. Sometimes is ok sometimes it's terrible. This goes for the service in the dining room as well. Many times we are sitting waiting for for someone to come to our table and we are ignored. I haven't complained because I figure we are getting a group rate so you get what you pay for, but there are other people there not part of our group that are eating the same food we are and sitting in the same dining room we are. If I was paying full price, I would not be happy. On a positive note the spa is fantastic. I have had several treatments there over the years and the staff was always professional and the facilities kept pristine. When you enter the spa it's as if your in a different resort. The staff is friendly, don't get me wrong. I am simply saying that for rates that can be as high as $700 per night during peak times, the rooms, lobby and common areas should feel a little more luxurious.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Greenwich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I typically don't write reviews, however I feel it's important to write one for Gurney's after just having spent the weekend there. Based on the online reviews, I expected a much nicer property than what it turned out to be. The location is spectacular. Our room had a private deck overlooking the ocean and even on a dreary weekend it was stunning. I can only imagine how nice it would be to enjoy the numerous sundecks as well as the beach during the summer.

However, for the amount of money they charge for rooms, I definitely expected a more updated property. "Tired" is the best way to describe it. While everything was clean, it just all needed a facelift from its current outdated feel in the common areas, halls and rooms. The "lobby," if you want to call it that is dark and cramped with a tacky, fake fireplace. Not a great first impression. Our room was clean, but the towels were very scratchy and both that I used were frayed and had rips. While I expect to hear incidental noise, I was disappointed that I could hear so much hall noise (and there were no loud guests on our floor). I could also hear people's conversations in their rooms while walking down the hall.

I love how the property is spread out in a rambling fashion. They need signage, however. Navigating the property is not intuitive. We made wrong turns a number of times and I heard a number of guests expression the same frustration.

We each received spa services, which were excellent. On the whole, tho, I was very disappointed in the spa facilities. The massage rooms do not have actual doors. I could see other guests coming in and out of their room while I was in my "room." I was disappointed that there was no co-ed hot tub, as well, that I could enjoy with my boyfriend. Based on the rates and literature, I expected a much more high-end experience. I use Mohonk Mountain House's spa as my benchmark for a truly high-end experience and Gurney's fell considerably short of that even though their prices were comparable.

My conclusion? Loved the location and view, but if you want to feel like you've had a high-end getaway, Gurney's is not the place.

Room Tip: The rooms/floors are terraced. Ask for a top level room so you won't have guests on the floor ab...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa? Share your experiences!