“Yoga-Spa weekend at Gurneys” 4 of 5 stars

Gurney's Inn Resort, Spa and Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   290 Old Montauk Hwy., Montauk, NY 11954   |
Ranked #19 of 39 hotels in Montauk
New York City, New York
“Yoga-Spa weekend at Gurneys”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This was a great, relaxing weekend to get away with my friend-a weekend of yoga and to hang at the spa. The view from our ocean front room was perfect and to fall asleep/wake up to the sound of waves is incredible. The spa amenities are great and all the staff at Gurney's were pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

357 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
North Bellmore, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I had my annual Convention here during September 2012 and everything went BETTER then planned. Between the upgrades their doing at the Resort, their professional staff, and most importantly (to my crew anyway) the food was second to NONE! I still cant figure out how they can order such beautiful weather when we go there. It's our 3rd time at Gurneys and I'm sure there will be many more to come. Congratulations to the Monte Family....Keep up the Great Work!

Room Tip: The views from all rooms are great, however if you can get on the Ocean....Do It!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Washington, DC and environs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Due to a last minute problem with the site we'd originally selected to host a 40 person luncheon, we scrambled to find another site in the East Hampton area. I recalled how helpful Gurney's had been when we originally were searching for a site for our luncheon and re-approached them. (Yes, I wish I had selected Gurney's - I didn't because of many mixed reviews.) Ginny Davis found a way to accommodate our needs and was a delight to work with. The staff - from Gretchen, the concierge, to Alphonso, who ran the set up of our room and was around to solve any problems, and the all wait staff - bent over backwards to answer every question and attend to any need. They worked with us to decorate the room, developed a great menu in our price range, and made a specialty cake with our logo on it (their idea!). The look was bright and sunny with a lovely view of the ocean. Their AV system worked perfectly. If you are going to show a movie or PowerPoint during a sunny day be aware that the windows have no curtains - so plan accordingly. In our case, Alphonso and the waitstaff hung up several dark table cloths to block the light.
The first impression of entering the hotel is that its old and worn down - but hey, it IS historic! And it is on the beach. Just consider it quaint or 1950s charming and move on. The parking lot is tight but they somehow accommodated our event and a wedding. Some luncheon attendees stayed at Gurney's but I didn't hear from them about the rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Somers, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We just returned from spending 3 nights at the resort. After requesting oceanfront and told nothing was available we were told we could get ocean view and also to request a terrace. Well we ended up at the parking lot and the terrace had no ocean view at all. Needless to say we did not use the terrace located right in front of the parking area and a wedding at the resort made it even worse. We had a package which included breakfast and dinner. The dinners were good and the staff wonderful. Only a few minor hiccups but the breakfast staff and the supposed service was horrendous. It was like having no service at all. Too bad because on the weekend they offered a fairly nice buffet. Also noticed on Sunday when we went to get breakfast there was an empty beer bottle at the front entrance another inside the lobby and cigar buts and matches on the rear deck. The location is beautiful with a lovely deck overlooking the ocean and a beautiful beach. But the resort really is not up to speed and it is truly a shame. They have such a fabulous location but need to get their act together.

Room Tip: Only book if you can get the true ocean front rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The scenery is beautiful- for sure! But the staff had attitudes in general the place run down. I felt like they were resting on their reputation. For example, we got room service for breakfast and they brought coffee but no sugar and we asked for milk- which they put in a glass so when you poured it it spilled all over. Not a big deal at all- but it was indicative of a bigger picture- they just didn't try to make you happy at all. I was there for a wedding so I got see a lot of the other places around and Driftwood is much nicer, in my opinion.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
scarsdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Our daughter recently got married at Gurney's and it was an amazing experience from start to finish! John O., Ginny & Phyliss worked together to create a beautiful, fairy tale, dream come true wedding. John O. was the actual wedding coordinator and attended to every detail with professionalism, concern and warmth. He stayed throughout the wedding and even made sure that our daughter & son-in-law ate & were well cared for throughout the night. My son-in-law actually toasted John, as he did our other family members! He became part of our family in planning for the event with my daughter & son-in-law.

Although Ginny was not on-call for the wedding, she was there in a flash to give us keys to the bridal suite when they were accidentally misplaced by a nervous bridal party member. Her beautiful smile and awesome attitude radiate a positive energy aura that makes everything work out well!

The food was outstandingly delicious from the cocktail hour to the wedding cake. Even though there were well over 220 guests, the food was prepared to order with a gourmet flair.

This was our 2nd. wedding event at Gurney's- our son was married in 2010. John O., Ginny & Phyliss were just as accommodating and a pleasure to deal with now as they were then. The physical presence of Gurney's with the ocean as a backdrop is incomparable!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Gurney's is an unpretentious beach resort. The rooms may not be 5 star luxurious, the cuisine is not a gourmet's dream, but the surroundings are so beautiful that from the moment you arrive you feel transported back in time to a place where you have no cares or worries. But what really made the experience special for me was meeting Alicia, The Maitre 'd Hotel. She noticed that I had not received my food at dinner and asked why, I mentioned that I had certain food allergies and wasn't able to have the first two courses. She found that unacceptable and spoke with the chef to arrange for other options. She personally hand delivered my entree and found me the next night and did the same. She gave me her card and said that I should call if I needed anything, and she meant it. I felt extremely taken care of and she was an absolute delight and extremely professional. We may be planning a Family Event there in the next few months and she introduced me to the Event Planner Ginny was also very attentive and professional. I am looking forward to returning very soon, maybe for a Romantic Winter Getaway with my Husband. Don't miss this Gem on the Ocean!! You won't be sorry!!

Room Tip: Book an Ocean View, if you are in the Main Bldg, it may be noisy on a Friday or Saturday Night, if y...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Gurney's Inn Resort, Spa and Conference Center? Share your experiences!