“Magical Resort” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   290 Old Montauk Highway, Montauk, NY 11954   |
Ranked #17 of 40 Hotels in Montauk
“Magical Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Gurney's is an unpretentious beach resort. The rooms may not be 5 star luxurious, the cuisine is not a gourmet's dream, but the surroundings are so beautiful that from the moment you arrive you feel transported back in time to a place where you have no cares or worries. But what really made the experience special for me was meeting Alicia, The Maitre 'd Hotel. She noticed that I had not received my food at dinner and asked why, I mentioned that I had certain food allergies and wasn't able to have the first two courses. She found that unacceptable and spoke with the chef to arrange for other options. She personally hand delivered my entree and found me the next night and did the same. She gave me her card and said that I should call if I needed anything, and she meant it. I felt extremely taken care of and she was an absolute delight and extremely professional. We may be planning a Family Event there in the next few months and she introduced me to the Event Planner Ginny was also very attentive and professional. I am looking forward to returning very soon, maybe for a Romantic Winter Getaway with my Husband. Don't miss this Gem on the Ocean!! You won't be sorry!!

Room Tip: Book an Ocean View, if you are in the Main Bldg, it may be noisy on a Friday or Saturday Night, if y...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
New York, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

September 15 – 19th

Let me begin by stating we will absolutely return to Gurneys Inn, as the location is stunning and the main staff is stellar. Having said that, I will now try to give a comprehensive Pros/Cons review and suggestions:

The Pros:
Location! You’re at the beach for a reason: So, make sure and get an oceanfront room overlooking their gorgeous beach and vast Atlantic Ocean. The front desk staff is terrific, friendly helpful; checking in and out was a breeze. We had a large oceanfront room and deck. It was clean and quiet. The bed was very comfortable, the sheets soft. We slept well, and spent a lot of time on our deck watching the pounding ocean and gazing at the boundless sky which is a real treat for us NYC folks. The food at the Sea Grille is excellent. We had the freshest fish, shellfish and best beef we’ve had anywhere. We especially loved their Gurney special salad and important occasion dessert presentation. Make sure and make dinner reservations as it fills up. The salt-water pool is state of the art, as are all the spa facilities.

We were at Gurney’s for a large wedding, which was spectacular, ending with a huge late night bonfire on the beach. But we stayed additional days because we needed some R&R. If you are planning a wedding, Gurney’s is a superior venue and Ginny; Gurney’s Wedding Planner is extraordinary. Never have I seen one person cover more bases with such care, concern, cheerfulness and good judgment as Ginny, who created a beautiful and memorable wedding for our friends.

CONS:

Stairs: There are steep long staircases to get anywhere and only one service elevator, which you can use but only from the main level to the catering hall level. To get from there to the beach, it’s two fifteen-step staircases. So, if you have knee or hip problems this is something to consider. Gurney’s should really put in a covered escalator or something to get down to the beach, and another elevator, as so many people
(They had many senior travelers there) were having trouble getting up or down those stairs.

Cell Phone Service: No cell phone service in the Inn itself, but you can hunt around down on the beach, or drive up the road to get it. This means any calls you need to make while in the hotel will most probably be long distance calls from your room phone, which you will pay for.

WIFI: They have WIFI, but while we were there the last two days the signal was weak or non-existent. Could be because it was a bit stormy. But if you have a letter or files that must go out it could really be a problem. We called the desk about it, but no one got back to us.

Maintenance: While our room was clean, the bathroom was shabby. The toilet seat had scratches all over it; the bathtub was in serious need of caulking. The door was missing a doorstop, plaster form a repair was smudged around the floor, Refrigerator needed defrosting, hair dryer didn’t work (I called about it, but no one came)

Parking: Its all Valet, and it can take about half an hours to get your car sometimes. So know this in advance.

Room Service & Staff Issues The Sunday room service we ordered turned into a comedy of errors. They only had one delivery person on staff, who was clearly well intentioned, but untrained. He delivered our food without utensils, condiments, the wrong items, a filthy grimy coffee pot and a black hot water pot for tea that has a broke spout. Back and forth the poor guy ran trying to get it right. He was obviously new, and terribly apologetic. But we ended up with a cold uneatable breakfast and beverages in containers we didn’t dare drink from. And the waiter felt frustrated and terrible. Gurney’s needs to train their new staff and have a check list of what goes on the tray or at table, as we found in Monte’s and The SeaGrille, new staff, again and again didn’t know to fill water glasses with water, bring bread or utensils and napkins with the appetizers.

Things to Know: When we went to the SeaGrille without at reservation, even though the restaurant was half full, we were told by the hostess, Alicia, that she had reservations for all the tables and would we care to have drinks and appetizers outside and wait? We agreed. I had an appetizer and my husband had wine. After about half an hour we were told a table was now available, but would we settle our bill with the outdoor waiters, I balked wanting my appetizer to be deducted from my MAP dinner credit, but that’s not allowed anything you eat or drink while waiting to go into the restaurant is separate. We paid as was requested, then went back to the restaurant which was still barely half filled, which made us question the whole thing. Why’d we have to wait, and why couldn’t we use our dinner credit toward the shrimp cocktail I had been invited to order by the hostess of the restaurant, which came from the restaurant kitchen? Didn’t make sense, but she was adamant.

The waiters at the SeaGrille or Monte’s will want you to pay the balance of your bill (what ever is over your dinner or breakfast credit) and the 18% service charge in cash, which benefits them and you’re usually glad to do, just make sure you don’t then sign the bill too.

Everyplace has its Pros and Cons but Gurneys is a very special place.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a full ocean view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Husband and I spent our Labor day weekend at Gurney's Inn Resort. For $420 a night, excluding taxes.... we got a free breakfast and $26 credit each for dinner. Place was nice, but don't expect it to be luxurious. So here's the breakdown.

Positives:
+ spa and pool
+ dinner pre-fix 5:30-6:30 for $25.95 (although we didn't know there was a time window, so we missed the pre-fix. However, our meal was delicious!
+ beach umbrella and chairs are provided, and you can choose where you would like to be setup.
+ 2 beach Vball courts
+ each room came w patio and furnitures. Updated bathroom. Strong shower
+ perfect beach location
+ nice bonfire lounge outdoors
+ wifi on beach and throughout the resort

Negatives:
- old scratchy sheets
- Breakfast buffet was mediocre. At least juice is available which is hiding all the way in the back corner "juice station".
- lots of stairs.
- poor Verizon cell signal
- hard to book a spa package. I was trying to book a massage with them, and I had asked what was available. She told me 1pm was available. And I was like yes, I want that time slot. The phone rings, she picks up the phone and proceed to book the 1pm slot that I had already told her I wanted. She hangs up the phone and informs me that the time slot I wanted wasn't available anymore. Can you believe that?
- Montauk is cold in September!! I was on the beach wrapped up in two towels! Did not even dip my toes into the water.

Room Tip: They will put you all the way in the back if you want a quiet room.
Ronkonkoma, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I held a conference for 14 people and fromt he second we checked in it as first class treatment! All my guests received an agenda printed by the Resort. The front desk was attentive. The Sales Managers Ginny, Paul and Pylis where available to us at a moments notice checking in on AV equipment and meeting room needs. The food was great for all 3 meals. The view and rooms where fantastic. Everyone who attended was very impressed with my choice of this resort. We are in the restraurant business ourselves so to give such a glowing review is well deserved coming some of the hardest critics!

Room Tip: The cottages are breath taking!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

From the spa to the outdoor decks to the hotel rooms, Gurney's is being rebuilt and rejuvenated. The spa is beautifully renovated and has a nice indoor pool and comfortable amenities. The outdoor decks are in the process of being renovated and the ones that have been completed don't disappoint making the oceanfront spots more comfortable to relax on. The hotel rooms are all nicely redone with comfortable sleeping and sitting space. Definitely recommend a visit if you are looking for a place on the ocean in Montauk. Fair warning - it will empty your pockets.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Montauk is montauk. You go there for the ocean, not the room.
The place is nice, not new. The staff are overly attentive. The spa is great. Parking is terrible though.
The restaurant food is quite good. Once dinner is over, so is the nightlife though. Needs a good club on premise. Pool and gym closed at 8.
Nice little food and grog shack on beach.
I will return, but won't make it a week long trip.

Room Tip: Panoramic is nice. So are the forward watch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have been searching for an exceptional hair stylist and colorist for the last two years. Who knew that person would finally be found less than two miles from my home in Montauk!! Her name is Paula Chacon and she can be found in the luxurious salon at Gurney's Inn. Not only is she personable, kind and understanding when a customer has had too many bad hairdos, she is also a true artist! She has the gifts of creativity and imagination. Paula is not afraid of a challenge, in fact she welcomes them! So, need a new look, color correction and someone who really knows their craft? Go make an appointment with Paula. I look forward to going back to her. Thanks again Paula!! Just a quick note, the entire staff in the salon are truly positive individuals. They are friendly and truly care that everyone feels comfortable and are satisfied with their service(s).

Room Tip: Off season oceanfront rooms are heavenly! Great value during that time.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Gurney's Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa? Share your experiences!