“Perfect beach getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 39 hotels in Montauk
Hauppauge, New York
“Perfect beach getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

I love the Breakers. This place is affordable and great for families. The hotel was recently renovated and the rooms are clean and cozy. The beach is great and its an easy walk into the village. We loved the pool and private deck. We'll be back every year.

Room Tip: Each unit is different. We love the cottages.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bronx, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

...It's kind of a rustic place, good for families on a budget. We rented a two bedroom cabin (double bed in one room, two twins in another, plus a pullout double in the main room), offseason for $150 night. Anywhere else, it would have been less than $100, but this is Montauk...

I know from experience that an "equipped kitchen" means 1 pot, 1 pan, and dull knives, so we brought our own to cook with. The stove had 4 burners and an oven, so it was fine for us...there was also a working coffee maker and toaster, forks, knives, plates, glasses and coffee mugs. The beds were firm, the shower was hot with good pressure, and there was a large screen HDTV with cable. There was also a heated pool, ping pong table and the motel is dog friendly. I would say half of the guests brought dogs (including us); they were everywhere.

Our little cabin had a big porch with umbrella and picnic table, and a charcoal bbq...our children liked it, and so did we. Cheap bar of soap, cheap towels, but we brought our own, so it didn't matter...the kid behind the desk was new, so he couldn't help us with any details about the town, but he was friendly enough...

The real story is walking across the street to the beach, which is what Montauk is all about...quiet, clean, not many people. We made a fire at night, had some s'mores...I would come back here again, most definitely. Just don't expect the Ritz Carlton!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Last year I had stayed at the Beachplum resort which I absolutely loved, and planned to return to again this year. However they were fully booked and referred us to The Breakers Motel, right next door.

After reading reviews we were a bit weary, but it was one of the most affordable beach motels still available at short notice. Since last summer they had undergone renovations and assured us that many of the units had been fixed up, plus AC was guaranteed to work in our unit (#8)

We arrived early and was able to check in right away, service was friendly and efficient. The furnishing in our room was very minimalist/no frills - Wood floors, wood panel ceilings, white walls, simple wood furniture and touches of navy blue.

Bathroom was very tiny, but clean and served its purpose. Only bars of cheap "complexion soap" was provided for us, so remember to bring your own body wash, shampoo!! (not a big deal in my book)

The fridge was in good working condition - clean and great for keeping leftovers and alcohol. Cabinets are stocked with wine glasses, cups, cutlery, plates and a brand new sponge, dish soap and drying rack. One could cook a decent meal here, though we really didn't see a point with all the nearby restaurants.

Bedding was clean but I found the mattress to be softer than I was used to, my bf had no problem with it though. Walls were thin as I could hear my neighbors coughing up a storm next door.

We loved that we were literally a 5min walk to the beach and about 15min walking into town, and they allowed us to park right on the lawn (7ft from our unit)

PROS: for mid season (til mid june) the $150 per night is not a bad deal for beach front, location was good, service efficient, rooms clean, AC working, some cable channels

CONS: Wireless internet did not reach our unit, thin walls, spare amenities, claustrophobic bathroom.

Overall: Price worth it for mid season times, great location, modest but clean rooms. I would consider coming back here, though we would like to try out one of the direct-walk-onto-the-beach-front motels next time.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011 via mobile

Hotel rooms don't have walls between the rooms so it's very noisy and you don't have much privacy because your neighbors can hear your whole conversation.

• Stayed June 2011
North Babylon, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

This is the 2nd time we stayed at breakers and had a great time, as other reviews said kitchen small , ocean right across the street with great fishing, close to town, super marget and 7-11 is a 3 minute drive, Breakers is dog friendly, even though a neighbor just let there dogs run loose, i wish Breakers would enforce leash dogs, but we all had a great time and i will be going again next season

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010 via mobile

Wasn't sure what to expect after reading the other reviews - booked anyway because it was one of the few places with a vacancy. We were in a two bedroom cottage; kitchen was small and old - fridge was clean and there were plenty of pans and dishes, but I can't imagine cooking in there. Bedrooms were basic, beds more comfortable than they looked. Worst was the bathroom. Very small with a nasty floor and shower. Good deck with picnic table and two lawn chairs. Best was beach directly across the road - path was manageable even with two small kids and a wagon full of our stuff. Did not swim in pool, so can't comment. I would have trouble recommending it. We only stayed two nights; it wasn't terrible (we didn't spend much time in the room other than to sleep), but we wouldn't stay there again. From owner "it's like camping with hot showers" - not sure that $350 a nite for a campsite is worth it. Our first time in Montauk - had a blast, and accomodations didn't ruin our stay.

• Stayed August 2010
new york,ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2010

Let me start off by saying that I came here with my boyfriend, we are in our early 20's and did not have high expectations of the place. We booked about a week in advance and were happy to find a place with a vacancy. We have stayed in really nice places, and this place I would not consider one of them but it was fine.

Location: Right on Mtk. Highway. Had to walk across street and through dunes to get to beach. If it's really hot like it was when we stayed, not very desirable. Also, grass is really tall, careful for ticks. If you have a car, you should be fine, just drive into town and use the beach there, thats what we did. ( They give you a parking pass-just ask for it)

Rooms: Ok- not ritzy, but it's Montauk. It had a two beds, a small bathroom, dining room table, full fridge, small stove, and sink. We didn't cook but the full sized fridge was great for beers/fruit. Ok and here's the worst part. We were there the end of August and there was NO AC!!!!!!!! My boyfriend was miserable. Even with all windows open, and 3 fans blowing it was just awful. I don't think he slept once the three nights we were there.

Grounds/ Amneties: Parking Pass was helpful. They had grills outside that I saw many families using. Pool was great, always empty would just hop in after coming back from beach.

Service/Staff: Staff was nice and provided my miserable boyfriend with many extra fans to make up for lack of ac...didn't help but still, the thought was there.

Overall, if your planning on eating out for all meals/ being out all day and just looking for a place to crash it was totally fine. Like I stated earlier we are a young, laid back couple who just wanted to get out of the city, drink, eat, and be beach bums! It was nice, but def not glamorous and I'm not so sure I would bring kids here if I had any.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Breakers Motel? Share your experiences!