“It Pleased the Whole Family!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Rockland County, NY
“It Pleased the Whole Family!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

For every occasion, our family goes out to eat to celebrate. We are 6 adults and 2 children under 5. It is very difficult to find a good restaurant convenient for everyone, kid-friendly, affordable (we pick up the tab) with good food, efficient service and pleasant atmosphere. This restaurant is now at the top of our list of wonderful restaurants. Everyone really enjoyed the food, especially the three fussy eaters. My penne ala vodka was delicious and my apple tart dessert could not be beat. The prices are moderate and the entrees come with salads. Portions are large and their is a big selection of entrees.

We had a nice round table outside on the porch. It was perfect for the children, as they enjoyed the view standing in the corner of the porch when they finished eating waiting for the rest of us to finish. They were safe and out of the way from the other customers.

I’ve been to their sister restaurant in Suffern (Tripadvisor lists it as Vera Cucina) that also has excellent food, but I think the atmosphere is a little nicer here. Both restaurants are worth going back to.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

80% Recommend
New York City, New York
“Awesome Tastes Like Grandma is in the Back cooking!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Home cooked meals.. friendly staff... Great for family ...

Aspargas Appetizer wrapped in Proscuitto and eggplant with Gorganzola Cheese and aged balsamic was OFF the Charts good...
Followed by Chicken Francese so fresh & tender - Huge portions which is great cause I got to enjoy it again for lunch the next day!!! (just as good, an excellent re-heat)
I'll be back

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Going downhill”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

We have been coming here for years but have noticed a decline in food and service. My husband's dinner came and it was the wrong dish...The waiter said sorry and took it back and did not offer him anything else. We shared my meal. Waiter could not careless. We will not return.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Insults and poor management - my three hour ordeal.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I brought a party of eleven to La Vera Cucina for my daughter's graduation (yes, we had a reservation). Our waiter was a nice enough guy, and took our orders promptly. However, once the service started, so did the antics. In the amount of time it took for our table to get through appetizers and salad, we watched a party of five complete their ENTIRE MEAL! Two hours into service we were still waiting for our mains, and the owner never showed his face - our waiter was sent to do all of the apologies, and we were given a round of drinks on the house. Now nobody ordered anything unusual, so there was a no reason for the delay. We watched food going out into the main dining room while we waited, and all we got were more apologies. Again, even though staff knew we were unhappy, the owner (who was there) never showed his face at our table. We were finally served dinner at 11:00, and after that we were given coffee on the house. When the bill came, it was $430, and we now asked for the owner so we could discuss the bill. He came over and repeated the "we were very busy tonight" line (isn't that why we have a system for reservations?), told the waiter to take another $25 off and walked away without another word. Then a woman (either the owner's wife or the manager) came over, repeated the "we were very busy" excuse, and then told me that we hadn't arrived at 8:40, but rather at 9:30! After telling her that I don't like being called a liar, I handed her my card to pay and said "here- I don't want to discuss this anymore, just ring me out" she wouldn't even take the card from me, instead had the waiter come and run the card, and stood in the dining room clutching a child while she continued to play down the inconvenience (we were now the last people in the restaurant - it was midnight) and things were getting heated because my wife was getting annoyed with the whole experience. As we left, a waitress standing behind three waiters said "yeah nice - very trashy"! My daughter left the restaurant crying.
Now before you dismiss this as a one-off review, feel free to look at my other reviews. I am not a person given to rash behavior, and I have never been so mortified in my life as I was tonight on the eve of my daughter's graduation. My wife and I used to eat here frequently (we live 10 minutes away), and after this, I will never step foot inside it again.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Albany, New York
“Just as Lovely the "Second Time Around"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We were driving back to Upstate New York from the City, but wanted to eat on the way. We scrolled through the GPS's list of Italian restaurants near Woodbury Commons since we couldn't remember the exact way. We called from the car & were told they could seat us. It was a very busy Saturday night, but we were welcomed at a table for two. My husband had the Veal & Sausage Cacciatore-the wine sauce-sooo good ! I enjoyed the Shrimp Soprano and took half home. Dinners come with house salads - a lovely honey vinegarette dressing. The owner is so friendly - a worth it detour from the Thrruway !!!

• Visited June 2012