“Absolutely Wonderful - A perfect weekend in the Hudson Valley” 5 of 5 stars

Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   220 North Rd., Milton, NY 12547   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Milton B&B and Inns
NYC
“Absolutely Wonderful - A perfect weekend in the Hudson Valley”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

My Husband surprised me with a weekend at the Buttermilk Falls Inn and Spa for my birthday. Everything was absolutely wonderful. The grounds are gorgeous, from the llama pen, to the albino peacock, to the two ponds filled with koi, to the swans and geese, to the falls themselves and the short hike down to the hudson. We stayed in the Juniper Room - great bed, electric fireplace, jacuzzi and large balcony overlooking the gorgeous grounds. Romantic...luxurious...cozy.

The spa is absolutely lovely. A modern addition to the traditional grounds, it is a glass enclosed cube filled with a sauna, steam room and "endless" pool. We both had fantastic massages, and when we weren't in the steam room we sat and watched the trees, the birds, the hudson....

And wonderful as the room, grounds and spa were, the best part may have been the staff. On our first day there daily tea consisted of a quiche (looked great- didn't try it) wonderful home made chocolate chip cookies, and the best apple pie my husband had ever had. We mentioned to our wonderful inn keeper CJ how much he loved the pie, and sunday- despite the fact that we were the only guests staying that night - we came home from the spa to discover an apple pie waiting just for us, complete with two forks. And later that night as we headed out to Beso in New Paltz for dinner (incredible)- Innkeeper Bernadette handed us directions to the restaurant that she had personally typed out for us.

I can't say enough about how fantastic our weekend was. Buttermilk Falls exceeded all of our expectations. An absolutely perfect weekend.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

243 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

-Beautiful grounds
-Good breakfast. Lots of variety and delicious items cooked to order.
-Service was lacking. They seemed to only have one girl working and she was running the whole show... she was answering phones, greeting people, taking reservations, cleaning tables, answering questions, taking orders, etc.. wayyy too many jobs for one poor girl to be doing even if it is their slow season.
-Do not go here if you want a true bed and breakfast "feeling" we were not expecting to sit down and play chess with the owner or anything, we just thought there would be more of a welcoming feeling here.
-We did not see the inn keeper the entire weekend
-We were told there would be dinner served on Saturday evening.. this was not the case and we were not warned about this
-Spa was decent. The spa was clean and well maintained. Sauna and steam room were very small but very nice. Spa services were on par with the pricing for the area. The spa technician who did my reflexology was the nicest staff member we came across throughout the whole visit.
-Pony's pad was well appointed
-Stayed for 2 nights and although I paid a hefty "service fee", we did not receive any housekeeping in our room. Definitely not on par with the prices we paid.
-Bath towels were ripped and we only received 2.
-Bed was comfortable, though the duvet was ripped
All in all it was a good stay but I would not say it was worth the money

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Saugerties, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

My husband and I made an appointment for couples massage. The spa changed my reservation and never notified me. So, what was supposed to be a great Valentine's experience, turned into an awkward and unfulfilling experience. We were down the hall from each other, not even close. The therapists were wonderful. Management never responded to my concerns. I will never go back there again.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

I can't imagine having a better time. Just about everything was perfect. We stayed in the Captain's Room on the second floor for two nights. Although not particularly luxurious, the room was comfortable, well appointed and clean. The grounds are beautiful, even in winter snow, with a duck pond, winding trails, a barn with animals, picturesque small bridges, a small water fall and a close-up panoramic view of the river. Breakfast was excellent -- a choice of two hot dishes served by a waitress plus an excellent buffet (nova, home-made biscuits and muffins, several types of toast, cereals, bagels, a great assortment of fresh fruit, yogurt, juices, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, milk, etc. (I'm sure I missed a few.) The strawberry pancakes, waffles and omelets were delicious and served fresh and hot from the kitchen. Unlimited complementary cold drinks are always available from the refrigerator. The entire staff was exceptionally helpful and friendly. The reception desk was staffed continuously from early morning until 9 p.m. Afternoon tea, starting 3 p.m., was not a fancy occasion, but the assortment of finger foods, fresh baked cookies and muffins, cheese and crackers, etc. was just perfect for that time of day. The common area, with couches easy chairs and a fireplace, also contains a desk with computer available any time free of charge. The staff at the spa, which is about a 1-2 minute walk from the main building, could not have been more friendly and helpful. The pool was warm enough to splash right in. The steam room and sauna can be adjusted to individual preferences before entering to ensure a good experience. The one-hour shiatsu massage, administered by Heidi, was a total enjoyment. Any negatives???? I really can't think of any. I wish I could because I'd probably be more believable if I pointed out a few. My wife and I travel all over the world. We don't necessarily look for luxury but we do appreciate decent food, friendly staff, inviting facilities and a comfortable room. We found them all at Buttermilk. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
NY, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

First and foremost, we liked the grounds quite a bit, but the staff and service hardly made the exorbitant prices in upstate NY worth it. We overheard many inappropriate and disgusting comments made by staff members whom either didn't realize, or didn't care that guests were present. The food was ok. Our bed was extremely uncomfortable and you could hear other guests easily through the walls, doors and floors. Our gas fireplace although initially enticing almost sweated us out of the room to the point where we couldn't use it at all. The spa was nice enough although there is only one bathroom, one shower, and no space in the locker room. Our massages were very good. The pool was too cold and the sauna not hot enough. Overall disappointing.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

The breakfast was a beautiful spread of various sliced fresh fruits, fruit juices, organic yogurt, pastries, and various cereals and breads. I enjoyed the daily hot fruit compote set out to be used as a topping for your breakfast foods. In addition to this continental fare, the inn offers a hot breakfast made to order each day. The fluffy waffles I had one morning, topped with wild berries and caramelized pecans, were a delicious and memorable start to my day. I traveled to the Hudson River Valley to dine at the Culinary Institute of America and Blue Hill at Stone Barn, and I have to say that the lovely cake served at tea time at Buttermilk Falls Inn was one of the best o the trip!

The rooms are decorated and furnished in a comfortable elegance. The whirlpool bath in my room was vigorously rejuvenating. I also took advantage of the spa, which is open to hotel guests. It's a retreat in itself. Newly built, the interior is a soothing space of bamboo and other natural materials. One side is glass, so as I swam in the indoor pool heated to a wonderful warm temperature, I could gaze out over a beautiful meadow.

I went in the fall and enjoyed the various walking paths through the woods and hills of the property to take in nature's magnificent display of color. The view of the river valley from the property's outlook is wonderful. It rained one day, but the inn has a cozy library where you can curl up with a good book on days like that.

There was an inexplicable white noise outside our room that ran 24-hours. And, during my 5-day stay, the lock on our door was never fixed, though we alerted them shortly after check-in. I tried making small talk one evening with the manager, but he didn't seem that interested or open to it. But, I was so relaxed and happy from all the other elements of my stay that i still loved it overall.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
North Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

We stayed at The Buttermilk Falls Inn for three nights and scheduled several spa treatments. We needed a relaxing, pampering few day days. We have stayed at most of the best inns and spas in NY, NJ and much of New England.

OK, I'll get the negatives out of the way.....
1) We were booked in the Gindelle Suite. It was the last room available. We were awoken at 6:56 AM by the bedside alarm clock that the previous guest had apparently left set. Note to inn...maybe part of the room cleaning/prep should include turning off the alarm clock! After wresting the alarm clock to the ground and pulling the plug out of the wall the clock would not die! I had to then yank the battery backup out....all the while listening to music blaring and my heart racing at 150 beats per minute. Having vanquished the alarm clock I crawled back into bed.....only to be awoken again by several construction trucks and crews pulling up under our window. The hammering and sawing began in earnest....not a great start to our $500+/night stay.
2) There were wires hanging out of the walls of our suite. Were they live?
3) The suite had scuff marks all over the walls. Ummm ever heard of touch up paint?
4) The bathroom was suitable for a family of munchkins! A tiny awkward space.
5) The Inn staff does not offer to help you with your bags. So I lugged our baggage (3 trips) up the flight of stairs. For a country B&B I can understand this. For a luxury Inn and Spa I can not. The overall attitude is decidedly hands off.
6) The breakfasts are pretty good. Basically you get a continental (buffet) breakfast of store bought items (fruit, breads, cereals etc) plus three hot breakfast items made to order. The three items were always scrambled farm fresh eggs w/ cheese etc... + bacon or sausage + pancakes or French toast. Not gourmet but hearty and not a "sweet breakfast".
7) The afternoon teas was a farce, particularly vs. what their website promises. Tea was tea bags, hot water, coffee in dispensers and two or three store bought sweets/muffins. From the website:........... Afternoon Tea is served daily. Special herbalized teas go well with petite sandwiches such as cucumber and chicken salad sandwiches and smoked salmon wrap. The teas also compliment a medley of sweets including Double Fudge Brownies, Macaroons, Oatmeal Raisin Cookies and Lavender Pound Cake—made from Buttermilk’s estate-grown lavender. In winter après cross country ski, horseback riding and museum jaunts are met with divinely rich cocoa made from freshly grated chocolate as well as fragrant teas....................There were no petite sandwiches....no smoked salmon wrap.....no divinely rich cocoa (unless packets of swiss miss count....)
8) The fairly new spa (it is a detached building....about 100 yards from the Inn) is of an awkward design. Rather than having a nice quiet space to await your services you are led out to the pool. The very very bright and very very loud pool area. In the pool area guests are getting mani's and pedi''s before your very eyes while the chatter from guests and technicians reverberates throughout the pool area....nothing remotely "Zen" about it. The spa and sauna are both co-ed and in the public pool area as opposed to being off of the respective locker rooms. They are socially and logistically awkward.
9) One of the owners had the bad habit of airing dirty management laundry well within earshot of the guests. He needs to be more discrete!
10) Staff was frequently away from the front desk. The phone would ring and ring some times....which was an annoyance to those trying to enjoy tea next door.
11) This will be a negative to some, not to others....but the Inn apparently allows infants to stay. While we love kids, there were a few times that babies were a less than relaxing influence!

OK..now on to the Good news...
1) The hotel staff, when engaged were always very nice.
2) When we brought up the issues with our room they worked hard to make sure we were happy and eventually moved us. They also helped us moved our bags and gave us a bottle of wine. In addition they discounted our first night.
3) The breakfasts were pretty good, see above.
4) The Grand Laurel was a very large room with a nice bathroom. It was an original room to the Inn. There were numerous amateur workmanship issues but the room was quiet and fairly clean for a room with old book and furniture charm.
5) The technicians and staff at the Spa were better than average.
6) The grounds of the Inn are really something. In the dead of Winter it was apparent that a lot of money, particularly in landscaping, was being pumped into the property. A one hour walk on the (40?) acres will give you great vistas of The Hudson River, Llamas, goats, chickens, an aviary, an apiary, a nice waterfall etc...
7) Deb was the highlight of our stay. She served breakfast, responded decisively to our issues and gave us a great restaurant recommendations. She even made reservations for us.

Overall I give The Buttermilk Falls Inn and Spa 3 stars. It's not true luxury. It's a very nice B&B with decent spa in a lovely setting.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!