“Poor Service, beautiful Property” 1 of 5 stars

Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   220 North Rd., Milton, NY 12547   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Milton B&B and Inns
NY, NY
“Poor Service, beautiful Property”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

First and foremost, we liked the grounds quite a bit, but the staff and service hardly made the exorbitant prices in upstate NY worth it. We overheard many inappropriate and disgusting comments made by staff members whom either didn't realize, or didn't care that guests were present. The food was ok. Our bed was extremely uncomfortable and you could hear other guests easily through the walls, doors and floors. Our gas fireplace although initially enticing almost sweated us out of the room to the point where we couldn't use it at all. The spa was nice enough although there is only one bathroom, one shower, and no space in the locker room. Our massages were very good. The pool was too cold and the sauna not hot enough. Overall disappointing.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

The breakfast was a beautiful spread of various sliced fresh fruits, fruit juices, organic yogurt, pastries, and various cereals and breads. I enjoyed the daily hot fruit compote set out to be used as a topping for your breakfast foods. In addition to this continental fare, the inn offers a hot breakfast made to order each day. The fluffy waffles I had one morning, topped with wild berries and caramelized pecans, were a delicious and memorable start to my day. I traveled to the Hudson River Valley to dine at the Culinary Institute of America and Blue Hill at Stone Barn, and I have to say that the lovely cake served at tea time at Buttermilk Falls Inn was one of the best o the trip!

The rooms are decorated and furnished in a comfortable elegance. The whirlpool bath in my room was vigorously rejuvenating. I also took advantage of the spa, which is open to hotel guests. It's a retreat in itself. Newly built, the interior is a soothing space of bamboo and other natural materials. One side is glass, so as I swam in the indoor pool heated to a wonderful warm temperature, I could gaze out over a beautiful meadow.

I went in the fall and enjoyed the various walking paths through the woods and hills of the property to take in nature's magnificent display of color. The view of the river valley from the property's outlook is wonderful. It rained one day, but the inn has a cozy library where you can curl up with a good book on days like that.

There was an inexplicable white noise outside our room that ran 24-hours. And, during my 5-day stay, the lock on our door was never fixed, though we alerted them shortly after check-in. I tried making small talk one evening with the manager, but he didn't seem that interested or open to it. But, I was so relaxed and happy from all the other elements of my stay that i still loved it overall.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
North Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

We stayed at The Buttermilk Falls Inn for three nights and scheduled several spa treatments. We needed a relaxing, pampering few day days. We have stayed at most of the best inns and spas in NY, NJ and much of New England.

OK, I'll get the negatives out of the way.....
1) We were booked in the Gindelle Suite. It was the last room available. We were awoken at 6:56 AM by the bedside alarm clock that the previous guest had apparently left set. Note to inn...maybe part of the room cleaning/prep should include turning off the alarm clock! After wresting the alarm clock to the ground and pulling the plug out of the wall the clock would not die! I had to then yank the battery backup out....all the while listening to music blaring and my heart racing at 150 beats per minute. Having vanquished the alarm clock I crawled back into bed.....only to be awoken again by several construction trucks and crews pulling up under our window. The hammering and sawing began in earnest....not a great start to our $500+/night stay.
2) There were wires hanging out of the walls of our suite. Were they live?
3) The suite had scuff marks all over the walls. Ummm ever heard of touch up paint?
4) The bathroom was suitable for a family of munchkins! A tiny awkward space.
5) The Inn staff does not offer to help you with your bags. So I lugged our baggage (3 trips) up the flight of stairs. For a country B&B I can understand this. For a luxury Inn and Spa I can not. The overall attitude is decidedly hands off.
6) The breakfasts are pretty good. Basically you get a continental (buffet) breakfast of store bought items (fruit, breads, cereals etc) plus three hot breakfast items made to order. The three items were always scrambled farm fresh eggs w/ cheese etc... + bacon or sausage + pancakes or French toast. Not gourmet but hearty and not a "sweet breakfast".
7) The afternoon teas was a farce, particularly vs. what their website promises. Tea was tea bags, hot water, coffee in dispensers and two or three store bought sweets/muffins. From the website:........... Afternoon Tea is served daily. Special herbalized teas go well with petite sandwiches such as cucumber and chicken salad sandwiches and smoked salmon wrap. The teas also compliment a medley of sweets including Double Fudge Brownies, Macaroons, Oatmeal Raisin Cookies and Lavender Pound Cake—made from Buttermilk’s estate-grown lavender. In winter après cross country ski, horseback riding and museum jaunts are met with divinely rich cocoa made from freshly grated chocolate as well as fragrant teas....................There were no petite sandwiches....no smoked salmon wrap.....no divinely rich cocoa (unless packets of swiss miss count....)
8) The fairly new spa (it is a detached building....about 100 yards from the Inn) is of an awkward design. Rather than having a nice quiet space to await your services you are led out to the pool. The very very bright and very very loud pool area. In the pool area guests are getting mani's and pedi''s before your very eyes while the chatter from guests and technicians reverberates throughout the pool area....nothing remotely "Zen" about it. The spa and sauna are both co-ed and in the public pool area as opposed to being off of the respective locker rooms. They are socially and logistically awkward.
9) One of the owners had the bad habit of airing dirty management laundry well within earshot of the guests. He needs to be more discrete!
10) Staff was frequently away from the front desk. The phone would ring and ring some times....which was an annoyance to those trying to enjoy tea next door.
11) This will be a negative to some, not to others....but the Inn apparently allows infants to stay. While we love kids, there were a few times that babies were a less than relaxing influence!

OK..now on to the Good news...
1) The hotel staff, when engaged were always very nice.
2) When we brought up the issues with our room they worked hard to make sure we were happy and eventually moved us. They also helped us moved our bags and gave us a bottle of wine. In addition they discounted our first night.
3) The breakfasts were pretty good, see above.
4) The Grand Laurel was a very large room with a nice bathroom. It was an original room to the Inn. There were numerous amateur workmanship issues but the room was quiet and fairly clean for a room with old book and furniture charm.
5) The technicians and staff at the Spa were better than average.
6) The grounds of the Inn are really something. In the dead of Winter it was apparent that a lot of money, particularly in landscaping, was being pumped into the property. A one hour walk on the (40?) acres will give you great vistas of The Hudson River, Llamas, goats, chickens, an aviary, an apiary, a nice waterfall etc...
7) Deb was the highlight of our stay. She served breakfast, responded decisively to our issues and gave us a great restaurant recommendations. She even made reservations for us.

Overall I give The Buttermilk Falls Inn and Spa 3 stars. It's not true luxury. It's a very nice B&B with decent spa in a lovely setting.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

One always hopes that what is read on the internet proves to actually be true & accurate when time comes to take in the real thing. Well, my only gripe is that it doesn't stress enough how FABULOUS this place is-a true hidden gem! And maybe that's the point. To boast too much would set impossibly high standards but it also might send too many people and would ruin the whole "best kept secret" thing they clearly have going!

I had planned to stay 2 nights but had to get back last minute for work but managed to take advantage of what I came for -The Spa! Pure bliss indeed. From the thoughtful care and attention of the staff and clinicians to the sheer upkeep of the place-a heavenly eucalyptus steam room, a peaceful dry sauna, a calming beautiful relaxing pool enclosed so elegantly in glass that overlooks some of the most beautiful land the Tri-state area has to offer, and much much more. My massage was one of the best I've ever had, and the rest of the services I received were simply first-rate.

The rooms at the Inn and furnishings/decor throughout are so cozy and completely lovely while maintaining a great deal of elegance and charm, especially at this time of year. The staff is superb, there to meet your every whim, and the food is in abundance each morning-so fresh & sublime!

I walked the grounds before I left to get a better sense of the rest of the housing options available and couldn't help strategizing when I could return and with whom-husband? Family? Myself? I just may do it all again-and soon!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

We picked the best time of the year to visit Buttermilk Falls Inn. The foliage was at its peak and their beautiful grounds looked wonderful. This was intended as a relaxing getaway among old friends and it absolutely delivered. They have a gorgeous riverfront house available with a wall of windows that overlooked the river. It's thoughtfully equipped and decorated. The staff brought in fresh wood for the fireplaces (there are two). I'm usually fussy about mattresses but I slept really well here. The kitchen is very comfortable for cooking for a group of more than six

Our treatments at the spa were great. It's unusual not to get a hard sell on products but our technician was terrific. As a result my facial and body treatment was truly relaxing. I loved sitting by the pool (nice and warm by the way) looking out over the lawn between treatments. I was never tempted to budge from my chaise.

We hiked the grounds which are lovely. The llamas, chickens and sheep were perfectly behaved. Someone has put a great deal of thought into the landscaping. The architecture is a nice mix of traditional and contemporary. This is not a country inn where it's "death by chintz" There seemed to be a nice variety of types of lodging--with rooms at the inn and free-standing houses. The "North Cottage" looked particularly charming and it would be perfect for a romantic getaway.

Food was quite good, breakfast was substantial with a choice of a sweet or savory entree, plus baked goods & fruit. Combined with afternoon tea, I was able to skip lunch. Their dinner menu looked nice but we cooked at the house. My only complaint (about the entire weekend, in fact) was that coffee was weak and most of the teas were oddly flavored (a decent "English Breakfast" or Earl Grey would be nice).

From the minute we arrived, we were already planning our return.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

We have wanted to visit the inn and spa for ages and having little kids just never got the right opportunity. Finally, the time was ours. We managed one night away and have already booked our second two night stay for December. Both the Inn and Spa are nothing short of heavenly, indulgent, peaceful, serene, tranquil, and blissful. We felt transported to an alternate universe for the weekend. It was far more than we could have imagined or dreamed of. It's low key, low-stress, and just AWESOME. You will feel spoiled from the moment you enter the magnificient grounds until the sad moment you have to leave. The staff are so nice. The grounds are immaculate, the coffee is even great. Nothing bad to say about this gem!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
queens, new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

We went to Buttermilk on our honeymoon and could not have been happier with our stay. We felt spoiled the entire time we were there. The food was excellent (Thanksgiving dinner too!) and our accommodations were great. We loved walking the beautiful grounds. The staff was incredibly helpful and went out of their way to pamper us. While setting up reservations for us at a local restaurant, they secretly informed the place that we were newlyweds and we were surprised with a champagne toast and special service when we arrived. Not only that, they even surprised us on our return with champagne in the room! We simply could not say enough glorious things about the Inn and hope to return again in a couple of months.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple

Been to Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!