“Sadly Disappointing” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 3 Milton B&B and Inns
Pawling, New York
“Sadly Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I had my Mother and Aunt coming in from out of town. I had called mid week to see if they had any openings for 90 min. massages for us. The receptionist said we got the last appointments. I did call when driving in to let them know we were going to be late (15 min.) we had the remaining 75 min. To our surprise our messages were barley 30 min.....NOT what I requested at time of booking. It took us longer to get there (an hour) and undress then the time we were on the table. The massage was rushed and not worth $390. I have been to many spas and must say this was one of the most disappointing experience I have had. Sadly my Mother and Aunt do not get to have a spa day often and this WAS going to be a real treat for them. My suggestion make sure your receptionist is truly listening to your clients and maybe repeats their request. Very disappointing!!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
buttermilkfalls, General Manager at Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Kelly,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on your recent experience at Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa.

It seems we failed to provide a satisfactory service on your recent visit to the spa. This is not the level of customer service we strive to achieve. I spoke with our spa manager to see what went wrong and it looks like you were in fact booked for 60 minute services. Compounded with you running late, it would definitely cut drastically into your service time. I also understand that the remainder of the day was booked solid and there was not any 'wiggle room' available to extend your services. I am not sure where the communication broke down that caused the 60 minute service to be booked instead of the 90 minute, but I will work directly with the spa team to see what we can do in the future to make situations like this better.

Thank you again for your feedback and should you decide to give us a second try, please reach out to me and I will personally help you in making your appointments.

I sincerely apologize to you and your family and hope you can come for another visit soon,

CJ Hartwell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Buttermilk Falls Inn perfectly met my vision of a charming Inn conveniently situated in the Hudson River Valley. Selecting a place to stay that was located near the center of the Hudson River Valley that still met my high standards for an accommodation and service was no easy task. The staff at the Inn were friendly and helpful without being overbearing. The property itself felt like a charming oasis along the Hudson River. The Inn and it's restaurant Henry's has a farm to table, and since the Inn is also a working farm it is more visible; the breakfast was delicious. The varied designs of the structures on the property from the spa to the restaurant to the rooms are well balanced and maintained. I would recommend Buttermilk Falls to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Poughkeepsie, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I live within 4 miles of Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa and went for the first time in October 2013. I booked a Ladies' Day for myself and two of my friends. First, we had relaxing massages; my massage therapist was Dan - awesome! My friends each had female massage therapists who were also awesome. It was a full hour of pampering and much needed 'therapy' for our bodies. Next, we put on our bathing suits and relaxed by the pool. The pool is situated on a hill with a gorgeous view of the grounds and of the Hudson River. The wonderful woman at the front desk offered us a spa lunch menu to peruse. We all ordered light fare; a veggie wrap, a chicken sandwich and salad with shrimp. Water and iced tea were complimentary all day. We had a delightful lunch and then sat by the pool relaxing all day. The service was outstanding, the ambiance of the pool was wonderful and our Ladies' Day was perfect. We're looking forward to making the 4-mile trek again in the near future. We recommend Buttermilk to both locals and travelers. A truly lovely getaway for the day!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a lovely inn in a very pretty setting. The staff go to great lengths to make you feel welcome and accommodate your every wish down to making sure gluten free snacks and treats were available. They were also extremely helpful in moving our arrival date up by one day at the last minute- all done by email so very efficient! The spa treatment I had was amazing! And dinner at the inn was also very nice although the restaurant was a bit more casual than I had expected from other reviews. Hot breakfasts are made to order from a small menu but this approach slowed down service to the point that one morning we got tired of waiting and left the table before the hot items arrived. Future guests should be aware that most of the rooms are in a very old building and can be small and also very noisy. During our stay we were distracted by noise from neighbors upstairs and also next door - the latter ran their Jacuzzi on the wall next to our bed at 11:30pm one night. So if you are bothered by noise from other rooms/guests this may not the be place for you. We had one of the smaller rooms which while very pretty had so much furniture in it that there was very little room to move around and no space to put our suitcase other than on the bed or right in front of the fireplace. We peeked into other rooms around us and they seemed quite a bit bigger so the crowding issue may be limited to specific rooms. I mentioned the crowded feel of the room when we departed and the person at the desk asked for our recommendation about what furniture to remove to improve the situation so once again the staff really do seem to care about their guests comfort.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We went there to celebrate my wife's birthday and we were blown away by how beautiful the property was. Everything from the view to the greenery to our spectacular room!

The main house was clean, the room was spotless and we even used the fireplace! Loved the geese and the rest of the animals! We also dined at Henry's and it was incredible as well.

Well worth the trip! Thank you!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed at Buttermilk Falls Inn a couple of times - once in the winter and once in the fall - and always leave wanting to return. The grounds are quite spectacular offering beautiful views and the ability to stroll around. The rooms are beautifully and tastefully appointed, very clean and luxurious. Breakfast was always delicious with pancakes or omelets made to order and the spa - while restricted to adults - offers soothing and pampering treatments.

Room Tip: Rook's Nest is very romantic and the Gindelle Suite is great for a family.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

my husband and i have just returned from a weekend at buttermilk falls. we went for some needed time away from the kids and to celebrate my 40th birthday! we had the most relaxing time. the inn was just what we needed - the grounds are beautiful, the room was very comfortable and the breakfasts were amazing. the breakfasts were the best i've ever had at a b&b - abundant and delicious. the dinner at henry's was very good too although there was a large group there so they ran out of three of the entrees, including the scallops which was what i wanted. oh well, the pork loin was delicious. my only complaints are that our room had a balcony that badly needed sweeping - there were dead leaves and cobwebs all around. the walkway outside our room also needed sweeping. the bed was very comfortable but i would have liked crisper sheets. these are both minor compared to the overall experience but worth pointing out. also, i guess the inn doesn't want to ban small children, but there were a few kids that were a bit noisy, as kids will be, at the mealtimes. just to keep in mind in case you want a completely sans kids vacation. finally, the spa was very nice. i had a massage, which was very good and the pool had a beautiful view.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!