“Very special in many ways” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Millbrook Country House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Millbrook
Millbrook Country House
You added Millbrook Country House to your Saves list
3244 Sharon Turnpike, Millbrook, NY   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Millbrook B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Very special in many ways”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

The Millbrook Country House is a treasure, as are the couple who own it. Lorraine was an editor at Gourmet magazine for many years--no wonder her lemon ricotta pancakes for breakfast were so yummy. Giancarlo grew up in a villa in Italy, and heirlooms from his family can be found throughout this lovely Federal style home. It's remarkable how the owners have made an extravagantly gilded Baroque headboard, say, or a lampshade embellished with beads that used to adorn a papal vestment work so well in this setting. The Millbrook Country House should be featured in a design magazine with its masterful blending of old and new, and of two cultures. The owners are quite hospitable, and brought me a glass of wine to enjoy this past summer when I visited and sat outside in the garden, and this winter, when I nestled with one of their art books by the fire in their parlor. I look forward to my next visit--it's such an easy and special getaway from NYC.

Room Tip: Each room is different, so be sure to check out the images and descriptions on the website. They'...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Durham, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

I have been going to bed and breakfasts for nearly 20 years, and I was extremely disappointed with Millbrook Country House. The Inn is close to the road, and there is a lot of traffic noise. The hallway was dark at night, and I had to turn on the lights for the hall to find my upstairs bedroom. The Inn is also very cold and not very comfortable. I and some of the other guests found the parlors and dining room cold and drafty. The breakfasts were suprisingly skimpy and the food not particularly good. For comfort, ambiance, and food, I would explore many of the other bed and breakfasts in the Hudson River Valley.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
sunnydisposition47, Owner at Millbrook Country House, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
We have 5 heating zones and would have been glad to adjust downstairs temps for this guest; we always keep halls, stairs, and parlors lit with ceiling and table lights till all guests return at night; and our breakfasts are not huge but freshly made, with attention to taste, nutrition, and presentation. None of this guest's criticisms was made to us directly during her 3-day stay. We pride ourselves on personalized service, and so this review was a shock. She had a dispute with a restaurant in a nearby town, one of several we routinely recommend to guests, & I sympathized but declined to intervene to help with a refund of her meal. We are sorry for her discomfort on every level but feel her unhappiness could have been dealt with in a more effective and satisfying way for all concerned.
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Has most of what you expect out of a B&B: beautiful older home, wonderful decor, large comfortable bed. The B&B is a little close to the road, but noise was not an issue once inside. The hosts are very hospital, fun to talk to, but a little short on provisions: breakfast was very good, but small servings, and we practically had to beg for more coffee.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

Beautiful garden, where we ate breakfast one morning, friendly and knowledgeable hosts, exquisite furnishings and art that are clearly a reflection of the owners' taste rather than a stage setting. Don't miss it if you're heading to the Hudson River Valley, the Berkshires, or anywhere in between.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Northern Bergen, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

My wife and I are B&B aficionados, and for good reason. Whenever we travel, we try to avoid hotels of any kind, and seek out B&B's. Hotels are simply a place to sleep, whereas B&B's are where you put body and soul back in working order, while being coddled and catered to by the owners. We just spent two wonderful nights at the Millbrook Country House, and found it so charming and relaxing that we can't wait to go back as soon as possible. The house is quiet, well preserved, comfortable and relaxing, making us feel completely at home from the time we first arrived. Hosts Giancarlo and Lorraine are very welcoming and pleasant, and have a wide knowledge of the area's restaurants and attractions.

We stayed in the Chiavari room, and the bed was very comfortable (more than my own at home), while the room was peaceful and quiet. The grounds are very attractive, with all manner of trees, flowers, vines, birds, sculpture, tables, chairs and a peace and serenity that's hard to find where I live. It was difficult to pull ourselves away from the table after the lovely and varied freshly prepared breakfast. We sometimes found ourselves leaving after 11 AM, having sat down at 9. For some reason, our fellow guests all seemed very pleasant and interesting, and one common interest most of us shared was food and wine. Both Lorraine and Giancarlo are very knowledgeable about that subject, as evidenced by the quality of their breakfasts and experience with both the local and global restaurant scenes.

I highly recommend the Millbrook Country House if you are looking for a lovely and relaxing stay, whether it be for a night or two, or a week. I feel sad that I could only stay the weekend, but perhaps that will change the next time. I certainly will re-visit them. To my wife and I, this was as restorative and enjoyable a weekend as we've had in a very long time.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

I returned to the Millbrook Country house after a year away; it is as perfect as it was during my last visit. The inn has been well maintained, the owners still love what they do and do it well and the beds are perfect. I'll keep going back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2009

My wife and I spent a weekend at the Millbrook Country House in the fall. What a great decision on our part! The house is well kept and charming -- much thought was clearly put into each room. Most important, the owners make you feel right at home -- we were so relaxed during our visit. The owners were very helpful in helping us find the best restaurants and sites.

Be sure to visit all of the great restaurants in the town of Millbrook. The tour at the winery was exceptional.

I would DEFINITELY go back to both the Millbrook Country House and visit Millbrook again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Millbrook Country House? Share your experiences!