“Not as bad as reviewed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Hotel Middletown

You added Howard Johnson Hotel Middletown to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Hotel Middletown
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   551 Route 211 East/I-84, Route 17 & I-84, Middletown, NY 10940   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Middletown
Baldwin, New York, United States
“Not as bad as reviewed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

According to past reviews I read, when I stayed I would be subjected to hookers running the halls, Section 8 residents smoking and arguing in the halls, surly staff, and generally, taking my lifew into my hands.

True - the hotel is old and in serious need of rehabilitation (which seems to be taking place, albeit slowly). Yes, the pool is still closed and doesn't look like it will open again in this century.

But, for the cost, it will not that bad. The rooms were clean, well air-conditioned, TV worked, bathroom fully stocked with towels, soap and shampoo, and the carpet cleaned.

Also, staff was walking the property checking around, making sure security doors were locked, and cleaning up the litter.

Also, staff was aware of the past problems and reviews, and honestly agreed with past complaints. The new owners cleaned out the hotel of those Section 8 residents, refused new state funding to house said people and is now spending money in fixing-up the hotel.

This hotel is not for long-term stays, but for a 1 or 2 nights, you go do worse.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
MiddBanta11, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Middletown, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Traveller:
Your comments are much appreciated. Here at the property, we like nothing better than to receive feedback that reinforces that we're either doing things right and/or taking steps in the right direction. Hoping we continue to move in the right direction for you and all of our other faithful guests.

Yours in Lodging,
845.342.5822

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed here two weekend nights at the end of July while picking up my daughter from a local theater camp. Having read the reviews beforehand I was a little concerned but I was traveling alone and have stayed in all sorts of hotels through many years of business/vacation travel. Basically the price was right. Check in was friendly and quick. The property looks to have had a makeover in the last couple of years. Carpet, paint and bathrooms are recent and not in need of updating for a budget hotel. It's a fairly large two story hotel and my room was pretty much in the center of the building. I was there on a Friday and Saturday night and although the hotel seemed to be pretty well booked I found it to be perfectly quiet late at night. There are long term residents but they are working guys employed by an electrical service company and don't seem to bother anyone. They keep their trucks parked at the far end of the parking lot. Don't see why anyone would complain about them. There is a Perkins in what was probably at one time the HOJO restaurant. There is a Buffalo Wild Wings at the other end of the parking lot which is convenient for a night cap or dinner. The pool which is indoors is closed off and doesn't look like it will open anytime soon so if you have kids and need a pool this wouldn't be a great choice. Housekeeping is prompt but a little forgetful in replenishing things like coffee refills. In short you get a clean, recently updated room with coffee maker, mini-fridge, microwave in a quiet property located conveniently for a lower price than the local competition. If you're looking for more you might be disappointed. I give it an honest three stars.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
MiddBanta11, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Middletown, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
I appreciate your inclusive feedback regarding our property during your specific stays with us. We are making incremental changes to cleaning procedures, front desk procedures and our services - so we anticipate things continuing to improve. Consider visiting us again!

Many thanks,
Derby
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I hadn't been to this hotel in 19 years and was disappointed to see that nothing and I mean nothing had been redone in that time. Same carpets, same wallpaper, same comforters on the beds. The 2 best things about this motel are the girls at the front desk who are quite helpful and friendly and the Perkins Restaurant attached. Otherwise, a huge disappointment. I'm glad my reason for being in town meant I spent very, very little time in the room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your candid feedback. I recognize that it can be frustrating to re-visit a property that doesn't appear to keep up with current trends in decor and services. Ownership has begun working on a master plan will include many modifications, but we're asking that our guests be as patient as possible - such large investment takes time to plan properly. We have introduced new bedding in guest rooms and hope to add some additional interim amenities in the meantime.

Hope you continue to stay with us as your travels into the area dictate.

845.342.5822
Canton, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stayed here last year (June 2011) and then read the reviews. I should have read them first and then gone some where else. I, like everyone else, have a tight budget. This hotel is certainly budget friendly. I did stay here again just last week. Stayed for a few days on a leisurely trip with my fiance. The pool that was under contruction last year, STILL is not finished and doesn't look like it has had any further work done to it. We were upgraded to the only suite they had because the person they had in our room decided they were staying longer. Only half of the AC Unit worked and mind you it was 97 degrees for the entire time we were there. They also have people who live there. One lady, two doors down, has 4 dogs that love to bark. The Super 8 that is in the same parking lot, doesn't look very welcoming either. If you are staying ONE night, it's tolerable. If you are staying longer, they don't change the sheets, they don't vacuum and the clean towels didn't look very clean.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Middletown, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Dear Traveller:
I know from your review that I had responded directly to your concerns regarding your recent stay. Again, I am sorry that the water conservation program collateral was missing from your room indicating the program that we support as a Wyndham property. I was disappointed that the vacuuming wasn't done along with the basic daily housekeeping services that should have been addressed and I have alerted the maintenance team to the partially working A/C unit. Like you, we are eagerly awaiting further developments on the pool renovation - this capital undertaking by the owners is at their discretion. Please accept my apologies for these things that took away from your overall stay. My team and I will continue to work on issues that are in our direct control.

Howard Johnson - Middletown, NY
Elmira, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

bad room that reeks of cigarettes and the bathtub had cigarette burns all over. this was supposed to be a non smoking room! there was also a large stain on the carpet by the window.One of the worst rooms I have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: go else where
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
MiddBanta11, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Middletown, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thank you for your candid feedback. I have begun implementing a number of solutions to this problem that my entire staff will be involved with. From the use of more effective cleaning products and procedures from housekeeping & maintenance to better room inventory management by our front desk staff - we will minimize the negative impact of being a hotel that still allots some smoking rooms to our guests. I hope you will consider utilizing our hotel again in order to have a more satisfactory stay. Thank you in advance for allowing us to be your host hotel in the future.

Safe travels to you this summer.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I have to agree with some of the other reviews that Perkins is one of the best reasons to stay here. The rooms are comfortable and it is a decent location if you're heading to the NY Renn Faire in Tuxedo. My husband and I have been traveling to this hotel for 3 years now for the Faire. We find it to be a comfortable stay. It is a great place for a budget (hotels.com works with them) too.

Room Tip: If you want a non-smoking room, be sure to ask for it.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to be able to meet your needs. Our hopes re to continue to working on those things in our control and to enchance services moving forward. Thank you for placing your business with us.

See you again!

Howard Johnson Hotel - Middletown
Ca
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

This hotel is very low budget. There are people who stay there months at a time because it's a little cheaper than other hotels around. But not by much if you shop around you will see for yourself. The only positive thing i would say is that there is a Perkins restaurant right by it. I think it's even connected. If you don't care about how the hotel looks , then this might be okay for you. Personally for me, I found a better place about 5 min. for my next trip out to Middletown. They also quoted me a different price on the phone then when i got there. I ended up paying more than what i was told. That was disappointing.

Room Tip: Rooms farther to the restaurant are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
MiddBanta11, General Manager at Howard Johnson Hotel Middletown, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Please accept my apologies for not meeting all of your needs during your recent stay. I hope we were able to resolve any billing issues you encountered. For the local market, we do feel that the hotel still provides a good value for our guests. Plans for the hotel in the coming 1-2 years will have us offering a much brighter look and better services for all travellers who choose our property.

Hope you check back with us in the future.

Regards,
Lisa Wolgamuth
General Manager, Howard Johnson - Middletown, NY

Been to Howard Johnson Hotel Middletown? Share your experiences!