“Nice from far but far from nice” 2 of 5 stars

Gateway Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sunrise Highway, Merrick, NY 11566   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Merrick
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Nice from far but far from nice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

We stayed here for one night and were very disappointed with the standard of the room. Although the room was non smoking the walls were yellow and it was smelly. On the plus side the sheets seemed clean and there was no evidence of bed bugs. As soon as we got in the room I couldn't wait to leave. The plug in bath didn't work and i had to have the water on full blast to have a half decent experience.We did have a nice meal at a place called the grillfire down the road which cheered me up. The hotel looks good from the outside and the reception and breakfast area is decent but don't be fooled by this. We've stayed in cheaper accommodation which is better.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Summerdale, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2010

I was pleasantly surprised.I lived in the Freeport area for 20 yrs,passed this hotel daily, not even thinking about it.Came back to visit & thought I'd give the Gateway a try..WONDERFUL! Clean,friendly, nice, comfortable bed, Continental B'fast was good,VERY HAPPY

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
AL1432
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

Wife and I needed a one night stay for a family event. We found the room to be very clean and comfortable. The bed was comfortable, and we heard very little outside noise. The bathroom and shower were very serviceable, though the hot water tended towards scalding, a possible issue if you have kids, and one that should be addressed by management. The free wi-fi internet was fast enough to allow us to watch a Netflix movie on our laptop computer. We did not need to use the heating/AC system, so I can not comment on how that might have sounded going on/off. All-in-all, we both got a very decent night's sleep for a very reasonable price. The pastries, bagels and coffee/tea offered in the morning Continental Breakfast were yummy. There were two items I thought needed attention. 1) The security key used to enter your room was a fixed punch key, and not computer re-programmable (that is, the code never changes). That didn't strike me as the safest possible system. 2) Although the door had a deadbolt lock, there was no security chain. Both of these security-related items should be addressed with an upgrade.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

I needed to make an unexpected trip to LI, and called to check reservation availability for the next day. The woman at the front desk rudely told me, "No, we're were sold out." and proceded to hang up on me without asking if there was anything else I might need, no "have a nice day" etc..
What a poor reflection of the service one might expect during a stay at the Gateway Inn.

• Stayed August 2010
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

We have been visiting LI at least twice a year for the last 3 years. I passed this hotel often but always chose to stay at the larger chains in Farmingdale. We had to make an unexpected one night visit to LI this past week for a funeral. I decided to book the one night at the Gateway. I was very presently surprised. The hotel was clean and very well maintained. The staff were very helpful and pleasant. Our room overlooked a nice courtyard and you could not even tell we were on a busy street. I did not know, but found out to late, they even have a continental breakfast. This hotel is so much more convenient to the area we visit and will definately be returning.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Merrick, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

We don't know what we'wold have done without you!!! You helped us "weather the storm" during the hurricane that hit our town hard. You were so welcoming and went out of your way to assist us during a time when we lost power for 5 days. The rates were fair, the room was clean and the service was excellent. We wholeheartedly recommend this to inn to anyone who needs a place to stay where the staff are polite and kind. Thank you Gateway Inn...we will never forget how you helped us through a rough patch. You are tops with us!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2010

I have utilized the Gateway Inn for the last three years for my spring board to Long Island and NYC . It is positioned so all is in a short drive . NYC and Hamptons 45 minutes Jones beach 10 minutes .Great helpful staff. Clean Rooms and recently updated bathrooms. A great free breakfast with coffee served all day and night..A great place to stay !

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Been to Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!