“Average on the minus side...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Melville
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Average on the minus side...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Just returned from a weekend stay at this location and I just have to say that it is not exactly what I have come to know from the Marriott label. The staff was professional and polite and I am thankful to say that because that is pretty much the redeeming quality for this hotel. The facility is a bit dated and though they seem to have tried to improve some things (beds were modern and comfortable) everything seemed to have a layer of grime. Our feet stuck to the floor in the entrance of the room, we had to wipe down the sink and faucet from what looked like the previous stay, the sofa bed (which is another story) had stains on the cushions and that just made the thought of using the bed portion impossible. This was a last minute trip to see a friend after her spouse passed, so we made the best of it but I would not recommend this hotel unless there were no other options. :(

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Turkish first
Mount Dora, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My ninety-seven year-old mother and I recently went up to Long Island for my aunt's funeral. I should say that I was not at my best - - a grieving brain doesn't make it easy to always think clearly. In any case, when my mother, using a walker, and I walked up to the front desk, we were greeted and handled competently. We didn't mind having a room on the first floor. The young woman who helped us directed me to a door to the right of the front desk (didn't offer to get a bellman), and we took off. I opened the door to find a flight of stairs (maybe six-eight steps). My mother and I were stunned! I should have turned around and asked for a handicapped entry way, but I was tired and just took the walker up the stairs and Mom walked up. We began walking to find the room - - it was ALL the way around the other side of the hotel!! Once we were into this walk, my mother wanted no part of walking back - - we were both exhausted from waking up very early for our flight and just wanted to get settled and have dinner. By the way, we walked past one area that had fans blowing on what must have been a water-damaged area; unfortunately, it smelled badly of mildew. Anyway, we settled into the room, and then I headed downstairs to look at the menu at the Bistro. I was surpsied to find not only high prices, but only two fish entrees and nothing for a vegetarian. (I'm the vegetarian, but I do eat some fish.) As I headed back past the front desk, a staff member asked if she could help me with anything and, when I explained the situation, everyone apologized for the poor room placement and jumped into action to offer us another room, which I declined. They even offered to make a reservation for us at a neighborhood restaurant. They tried to make everything right which I greatly appreciated. The room itself, was quite comfortable and pleasant - - nothing extraordinary. The bathroom was tiny, but we managed. We did have a lovely view of the swimming pool and inside of the hotel. It would have been nice to see outside, but it wasn't a real problem. We wound up going to Cirillo's for dinner rather than struggle with the Bistro's menu. The next morning, we did have breakfast there. Once again, the prices were ridiculously high. My mother and I both got the "American" package which included a large glass of juice, coffee/tea, oatmeal or cold cereal, fruit, and a choice of toast/bagel/English muffin. While I was happy with the quality of most of this food (the coffee was rather tasteless), I didn't feel the value was that great. Our coffee and juice were brought to the table, but I had to get our cereal and fruit and toast our bagels. Our server was extremely nice and offered to help with anything I needed, which was great. All in all, it was an average hotel stay.

Room Tip: Unless you truly don't care about the placement of your room, you might want to double-check abo...
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This was my second stay. The food and bar options are very good. The fitness room is adequate. The lobby and common areas are somewhat dated. The rooms have been redone. It is priced cheaply by L.I. standards. Front desk and bar staff are nice and helpful. Great location in central L.I. There are many restaurants nearby. Breakfast buffet was very good.

Dagsboro, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The staff is so professional and so helpful and so nice. They make a good impression on you as soon as you walk in the door. Rooms are average but very clean. Beds are so comfy you won't want to get up. We have stayed here many times before. Always love coming back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Brick, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed at the Melville Marriot for 2 nights while on business. The front desk was helpful and staff was friendly. Rooms are what you would expect from an average Marriot.
Working in the nearby town of Hicksville for a few days, there are not a lot of hotel options, but this hotel served its purpose.
There is no free internet, nor free breakfast. Both aren't cheap but I used a wireless hotspot for connectivity and the breakfast, while not cheap was pretty decent.
The indoor pool was a nice touch, although it closes by 10pm so didn't really have much time for that.
Personally I wouldn't be staying here for vacation, but when I have to go there for work, I will stay at the Marriot again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Commack, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed here for our wedding night. Initially had reservations for Garden City Hotel, then thought about how many hundreds we'd be throwing away to sleep for about 5 hours. This hotel is very nice. We had the executive suite, it was nice. Had everything we needed and was clean. Front desk was very pleasurable as well. We would return :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Centreville, Virginia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel is centrally located on Long Island. Close to both North Shore and South Shore beaches and Island attractions. Easy access from LIE or Northern State. Good sized rooms, quiet air conditioners, nice lobby bar and swimming pool.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Melville Marriott Long Island? Share your experiences!