“Standing Room in the Pool” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Date Night Package
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Melville
NY, NY
“Standing Room in the Pool”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2007

What you don't know is a lot when it comes to how this hotel sells what they call "Health Club" memberships to the locals for very little money so that the pools and other facilities are so packed that you cannot possibly use them. We recently stayed on a hot summer weekend hoping to use the outside pool and found that there was literally standing room only due to the fact that the gym memberships bring in an unlimited number of families with many kids, most with flotation devices (no one could swim even if they knew how). There were no chairs or towels either due to the hugely oversold gym memberships, which left guests bewildered as to where they were at all. Also the staff was entirely disinterested in this situation. When we did get a towel - second day - and were leaving the pool we asked where to put the dirty towel and they said "Just throw in on the floor." There was not even a garbage bad for dirty towels.

We have stayed here in the past but will not return. The guests are treated like intruders in a neighborhood that they don't live in. Very poor time all around.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

387 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2007

I was a little concerned about staying in this hotel based on the reviews I read on this site. I was pleasantly surprised and happy with my stay, until the 5th and final night.

First the good - my room was large, updated and clean. I am HHonors Diamond so was upgraded to the Executive floor. The food in the concierge lounge was decent (fresh fruit and veggies every night) for both breakfast and lunch.

Speaking of food, I ordered room service from the restaurant downstairs and ate in the restaurant one night - I thought the food was OUTSTANDING. I went so far as to send in a compliment card just for the chef as I thought the food was out of this world for hotel food and for the affordable price.

Wednesday evening they had a "manager's reception" in the lobby. Now I usually avoid these because in my experience it's crappy food and cheap wine, but as I was walking by I noticed nice looking appetizers and full martini glasses! Did a quick u-turn and hung out for a bit drinking free martinis.

I made it all the way until the 5th night of my stay actually enjoying mysefl. The final night I was sleeping soundly until awoken around midnight by loud laughing, talking and children screaming. Apparently the staff put a very loud and highly caffinated family of 4 next door to me! Let me remind you - I was on the executive floor! After 20 minutes I called the desk to complain - the phone rang at least twenty times before someone finally picked it up. The gentleman was nice enough but I am sure did nothing about my noise complaint. After 20 more minutes I tried to call again but got frustrated waiting and hung up and attempted to sleep with a pillow covering my ears.

If it were not for the hotel's paper thin walls and poor placement of loud obnoxious families, my stay would have been perfect.

• Liked — Nice room, Awesome food in restaurant, Above average hotel gym
  • Disliked — Paper thin walls caused me to lose sleep
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

I stayed here for one night in July. It was horrible. The room had an overwhelming stench of cigarette smoke. I had a guaranteed reservation for a non-smoking room. The room had ashtrays and Hilton matches. The desk clerk insisted it was a non-smoking room and that it had been refurbished within the last month. I doubt it had been refurbished in the last decade. There was major (noisy)road construction going on outside the hotel so opening a window was not possible. The desk clerk was supremely unhelpful and blamed any problem on the housekeeping staff. There was no way this room could have been made habitable short of a complete remodeling.

The general appearance of the room was shabby and the toilet dripped all night long. People who are impressed with lobby waterfalls will probably like this dump as long as they don't mind their clothes smelling from cigarette smoke the following day, as mine did.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Room stuck of cigarettes, insulting desk clerk
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2007

All I can say is this hotel is not worth it. It has really poor customer service. My husband and I checked in on July 28th. We got a smoking room even though we had asked for a non smoking room. I called and told the front desk that my husband can't stay in a smoking room and they said to come back down and they would change our room. We went back down, and the girl that was at the front desk said that it was too late and that she didn't really have any non smoking rooms. She said she has one king room. We told her ok. When we went back up it actually said smoking section and our room was a smoking room. Not just that but it looked like someone was there before us. There was hair on the bed, and even under the sheets. The hotel is old, and it is not in great shape. Even though it looks like they tried to upgrade some of their stuff like the beds, but it is still horrible. The pillows are horrible, and so is the bed itself. We would NEVER stay here again. It is not work $150 a night at ALL.
I would rather stay in a motel for cheaper if I was going to stay in some place that looks like this. At least I wont have to pay $150.00. The hotel just looks old and dirty. The breakfast was not good either. Just didn't look clean and representable.

Stayed July 2007
Ashburn, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2007

It pains me to see my favorite hotel chain perform poorly, much the same as watching your hometown sports team lose a game.
Mediocrity started at check in where the clerk gave us a non-smoking room instead of smoking. Only when I showed him the printed confirmation stating "smoking" did he go in the back office for ten minutes. He came back and said no smoking rooms were available, but that he gave us a non-smoking room that could be smoked in if we opened the window. Probably not the best solution, especially for the non-smokers staying in the room after we left, but it relieved the immediate problem.

The room itself was furnished well enough, had a couch, and was of an acceptable size. The air conditioning did not work, but was fixed the same day reported the problem. The room, and really the whole property needs some TLC. Paint was peeling in the bathroom, the bathtub drain plug did not work and in fact was broken off, and wall paper was torn in the bedroom.

Staff performance was really a mixed bag. The bellman and one of the restaurant waitress were exceptional, while the evening gift shop clerk didn't so much as look up the entire time I was in the shop. There was a sign on the giftshop display case stating "DO NOT USE CELLPHONE IN GIFTSHOP", with the attendant's cell phone sitting right on top of it. The attendants in the HHonors lounge were the same; on both occassions I went in - neither attendant looked up, greeted us, or came out of the back room. This continued even when I brought the dirty dishes back, something I certainly didn't have to do, and a thank you would have been nice.

Now please don't shoot me for stereotyping, but some people will say - "Hey, that's just how New Yorkers are." I don't buy that as many New Yorkers are extemely accommodating and charming, and even if that is acceptable behavior in New York, it's not acceptable where you're paying money for service, especially in a Hilton.

In sumamry, management attention could easily fix the problems I experienced. Until that happens, I'll elect to stay elsewhere when traveling in this area.

• Liked — Hotel location was close to where I was visiting
  • Disliked — Poor staff performance and hotel in severe need of facelift
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2007

I was looking for a place near where my conference was being held, in Melville, Long Island, since I live in upstate NY, and chose the Hilton in Huntington since my parents have a timeshare with them. What a hotel! The pool, which is enclosed in a glass room, is beautiful and looks like a misplaced jungle. Though I didn't choose to eat there, there is a restuarant in the hotel. The room, which was just a standard room with a king sized bed, was great. A little larger than a "normal" hotel room, the room was clean and neat with a couch, work desk with internet access availability, a big TV, dresser and two night stands. The bed had a pillow for every preference, from firm and flat to down-filled and fluffy. There was also a comfy down-comforter and an interesting alarm clock that allowed me to choose what kind of music I wanted to wake up to. The bathroom's are nice sized with toiletries galore from Crabtree and Evelyn, a soft fluffy bathmat and plenty of towels. I thought about getting room service but they add $3.00 to bring the food to your room plus 18% gratuity, which, after the $3.00 (which I thought WAS the tip) is a little ridiculous. Checkout was express and the newspaper was left at my door in the morning. My only complaint, which is small and probably insignificant, was that when I was trying to check into the hotel I had my hands completely full. No one bothered to ask if I needed a bellboy or if I wanted some help. In addition, when I was standing at the front desk waiting to be helped, the front desk attendant blatantly ignored me and confinuted to have "girl talk" with one of the other employees. When she was told by another employee that I was waiting for her, she told me to hold on, continued to have her chat, and then when she was good and ready, finally checked me in. Overall, it was a great experience.

• Liked — Comfort and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Room was great - front desk service needs work
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2006

This hotel, like most Hilton hotels, looks nice. A grand entry with waterfalls and the like.

The person at the desk was friendly, and check-in was a breeze.

We went up to the room. The room was clean, but it was HOT! We figured we would just drop of our stuff, turn on the A/C and go out for a while. When we returned, the room was still hot. We called the front desk. They said the hotel was set up for winter already so the A/C would not come on. In fact the heat was on. It was 72 degrees outside when we checked in! Ran into other guests in the hallway that had hot rooms as well.

I decided we needed a cool drink. I walked down to the vending machines near the elevator. It took my $2 for a can of iced tea, but never dispensed any product. A call to the front desk, and I was told someone would come to the room with a refund or replacement. Nobody ever did.

They offer internet access in the room. For $10.28! Charging for internet? In 2006? In a room that costs over $150 a night? They say it is a "24 hour pass" Really? Check-in is at 4PM, check-out is at Noon. How does that equal 24 hours? It should be free.

Time for bed. Still very hot in the room. We opened the window. The noise from the main road out front, combined with some kind of exhaust fan that was over the pool on the lower level, made it impossible to get a good nights sleep. Some choice, heat or noise.

Last time we stay here.

• Liked — Decor, Clean hotel.
  • Disliked — No way to set room temp. , noisy location, poor security of building
  • Tips/Secrets — might be good during winter months, otherwise check around. Lots of choices in area.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Long Island - Huntington? Share your experiences!