“never again...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Melville
New York City, New York
“never again...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

room air conditioning didn't work. even after they "fixed" it, it only went down by 2 degrees. vending machine on floor didn't work. ordered a minuscule cheese plate from room service and bread was so stale it was inedible. Loud drunk people screaming in the hall all night. walls paper thin, heard peoples conversations, jumped out of bed every time the next room flushed their toilet. complementary breakfast kept running out of food and coffee

the only good thing was the bed was comfortable. but we COULDNT SLEEP BECAUSE OF THE NOISE LEVEL.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island - Huntington, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear eshnyc_13:

I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. I have shared your feedback with our managers in an effort to enhance our performance.

387 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I have stayed at this Hilton property before and they have renovated the lobby since my last stay. There is now a bar in the lobby where they had restaurant seating. i did not notice much other renovations but my stay was not as long as the last, was just there overnight. This is a great hotel and wish I had more time there. There are plenty of amenities including 2 pools and a hot tub. The next time I stay here, I hope I have more time to enjoy this great hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island - Huntington, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear JediKnight42:

We are so appreciative of your continued patronage to the hotel! It is good to hear that you when you return to want to be able to stay longer to enjoy our two pools and hottub. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Rochester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Our stay was marked by two instances that were of no fault of the hotel. The computer system was down so we could not get room keys at check in. The front desk staff was able to get us checked in then they had staff to escort guest to their rooms and let them in. They kept someone on each floor so we were able to get into our room as needed. The key was delivered to our room when available. Then on a Sat morning very early, a guest was smoking in their room which set off the fire alarm. The staff apologized at our check out and compensated us for the inconvenience. The staff really took responsibility in both cases with the guest in mind.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Greg P:

Thank you for such a wonderful review of our staff. I do apologize that our key system was down at your check in and that our fire alarm went off so early on Saturday morning. I will be sure to share your feedback to all employees who were last Friday and Saturday. Thank you for being our guest. We hope to serve you again soon.
clarksburg, md
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This hotel was in the area that we needed to be to be close to family. After reading the prior reviews I was hesitant to stay here. The reviews for the most part were wrong. We enjoyed our stay. Staff was so helpful and couldn't do enough for us. The room was decorated very nicely and was clean. I am particular about the cleanliness and I we were very happy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Dear CarolinaGirl057:

Thank you for being our guest and for such a lovely review. I am pleased to learn you found our staff to be helpful and the rooms clean and decorated nicley. We look forward to serving you again when you visit your family.
Chicago, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Looks great and is nice and clean and great staff does all they can to assist. Had some plumbing issues with the tub that was resolved, and AC issues with the fan that was also addressed. Both problems were addressed in a timely manner, but one happened each night and for a two night stay it was unpleasant. Other guests did not have such a good time with the AC mine just made noise, others didn't work at all. They had some Elevator issues that the staff also kindly addressed immediately. The room was clean and comfortable and the whole place is very stylish. The remodeling was a success but it's obvious it's an older building.

Dear Michael S:

Thank you for your review. I am glad you found our hotel clean and staff to be great. I am also happy to see that we were able to address the a/c and plumbing issue and that they were addressed timely. I apologize that the elevators were delayed in being reset after the fire alarm went off. Thank you for being our guest, we look forward to serving you again.
Land O Lakes, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This hotel is a disaster. From the moment we got here. I am writing you now, still here at the hotel checking out tomorrow. No bell boys, nobody to help you as you pull up to the hotel. We get to the front desk and check in, they gave us NO information about the hotel. They gave us a suite as reserved and said there was a pull out queen sofabed. As we got to the room, the pullout was smaller than a twin. When i went down to tell them, it doesn't accomodate us, they said they never told us it was a queen. So we had to change rooms to a regular room.
We got the regular room, long story short....the shower piece that you use to turn the water on and off, broke off, the refrigerator has broken shelves and the Air Conditioning wasn't working. We are here for business, so we had no time to say anything. We got home at 12:45am and told them about the air conditioing. It took 40 minutes for a security guard to come see what was wrong. He tried fixing it, a security guard in a suit (had no idea what he was doing!)..he said it was fixed, um it wasn't...we slept one whole night with NO AIR CONDITIONING, then in the morning they had to bring the engineer to fix it.
That next morning i went to get coffee (which they claim is starbucks, but definately it's not)...the lady poured me two cups of coffee and i wanted to pay her with a $100 bill. She didn't have change, she forced me to go to the front desk and restaurant and try to get change. In the meantime, as it took them 20 minutes to find me change, i came back and my coffees were not covered and they became cold. I told her that the coffee is cold and she would not give me new cups of coffee. Unbelievable!

The craziest part of this trip, this morning on saturday morning at 6:15am the entire hotel FIRE ALARM went off. We ran downstairs panicking because we were scared and went to teh front desk and they ignored us. Not one staff member would let us know what we should do. When i went down to ask why they couldn't inform us, the front desk manager girl was so rude. Giving me complete attitude, her words were "We were trying to figure out what happened so we couldn't talk to anyone"...and I said to her that just letting us know that would of been nice, instead of ignoring us the guests. If there really was a fire or an emergency, people would of been hurt. She gave me attitude.

This is the worst hotel we have all ever stayed at. I would not recommend coming here ever. There are too many hotels that are better than paying for this Hilton. This is worse than a motel.

Staff are rude, with attitudes. And on top of that, after the alarm we had coffee and an orange juice and they charged us $14.55! (3 coffees and 2 orange juices)....

I also noticed on most of the negative reviews here, nobody responds ,...only on the positive reviews. That's really nice, they don't acknowledge all the wrong doing. Must be run by very poor management, because they don't even follow up or try to make things better.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island - Huntington, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Slidingdoorfixer:

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the experience that you encountered during your recent stay. I want you to know that a fire alarm going off at 6 am in the morning this is not a common incident at our facility, Your concerns have been addressed with all department heads. Our goal is to ensure every guest feels cared for, valued and respected.
Holmdel NJ/Ft Myers FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I booked two rooms at the Hilton in Melville, NY and arrived late to the hotel at approximately 10:30PM, after air traffic delays on Monday March 8th. We were in town to attend to my fathers funeral the next morning July 9th. I specifically asked for renovated rooms as well both in advance and at the front desk when we spoke with Mina (the front desk representative) when we arrived that evening.

BTW - I am a Hilton Honors Gold Member...and this is the kind of room and treatment I received.

Immediately when we walked into the rooms I called to the front desk and asked if these were renovated rooms. I was told that they were. The rooms were/are appalling and should not be marketed or sold to any one least of all a Hilton Honors member. Door and walls damaged, missing and broken fixtures. These are simply awful conditions. I would never stay in such a room and if the arrival had not been so late we would have moved to another room or another hotel. To Mina’s credit he did offer us another room…since I had my son and daughter with my wife and I; and after a long day of travel we declined to change rooms that night. In short the hotel looks closer to a tenement apartment building. However I specifically requested that the general manager please call me on my cell phone before 9:00am.

The next morning at 9:10am, no one called me and I called downstairs and s/w Jennifer (the front desk manager). I was told that the manager Ellen Ruane was not available as she was in a meeting and that Jennifer would assist me.

I asked Jennifer to come up to the room and to see the room first hand. She did so with the maintenance engineer. Both agreed that the rooms were decidedly sub-par and should not be in inventory. Jennifer stated that two other rooms that were renovated made available to us. Since we did not have time to see the rooms that morning we agreed that I would look at the rooms when we returned in the afternoon.

We returned to the hotel at 3:30. No communications had taken place from the hotel to me. I requested to s/w Jennifer or Ellen. I was told they were both in a meeting and could not meet with or s/w me. The front desk clerk offered to assist us and to show us new ‘renovated’ rooms. He took us up to the third floor to show us two rooms.

The hallway had dirty dishes strewn outside the doors…there was a maid in the hallway and clearly no one had bothered to pick any of these up. There was a flood from the ice machine, where towels had been laid down on the water streaming towards the hallway.

The rooms he showed us had doors with holes in the finish and were further dented, scraped and generally looked shabby. The mirror over the desk was cracked. We discussed the condition of the room amongst ourselves, made reservations at the nearby Marriott and proceeded to check out.

Further observations –
The restrooms on the ground floor next to the restaurant and for use in the lobby were dirty, worn out and missing key items such as soap. Very distressing as this is where the kitchen staff is to be cleaning there hands. I would highly recommend a review of sanitary conditions at this kitchen.

When we went to check out we were charged the full rate for both rooms. No communications from Jennifer and Ellen, no offer of any adjustment. I explained that I was not satisfied and the front desk clerk offered to credit our account and ‘add some miles’ to my Honors account.

Clearly any focus on customer care, satisfaction or reputability is not a concern of this hotel. This is not the worst hotel I have been in. However to market this as a Hilton Hotel where we expect a higher standard is dubious at the least, disingenuous by definition and clearly has now caused us to seriously consider the Hilton brand in specific.

This recent experience and the consummate lack of care, respect, communications and just good business sense has me questioning the rationale of continuing to do business with Hilton.

A favor of a reply was requested. (BTW, this is my second note to Hilton as no one has bothered to reply to my online comments.) I received after I arrived home one vm from Jennifer with an extension that is not personalized...I left a message and never heard back. I emailed Hilton on their website and received a notice from Andrea Gilter that she would look into it....when I emailed her back I received an auto-reply that she is back in three weeks....wow...what a failure in customer, care service and just plain business sense.

Description of the rooms (photos attached)

The connecting door handle was completely broken off, leaving raw wood exposed.
Both connecting doors were marred, dented, scratched and in need of replacement.
Both room doors were missing the automatic closers with big holes in the doors and the ceilings that were left open.
The sweep on one door was a twisted piece of aluminum that no longer functioned to block, light or sound. The other one was missing completely.
The bathroom door (interior) was missing the hook and had holes in the door. It also was dented, scraped and needed to be repaired or replaced.
The desk in one room had the drawer pulled out and missing…just showing the tracks…and nothing else. The desk had no working power strip or lamp.
The beds were pulled away from both walls and had a pile of power strips and wiring exposed.
The baseboard was split, marred and scuffed and needed to be patched, caulked and painted.

Hallway Second Floor –
The second floor hallway has wallpaper separating and peeling off the wall – you can see green mold behind it.
The elevator has the call button console pushed in with plaster exposed and falling out.
The elevator cabs are worn, dented, scratched and in need of repair.

DO NOT STAY HERE...this hotel needs a thorough and complete gut renovation. More importantly the management needs training, education or to be replaced as they cannot bother to return a phone call, communicate effectively...but then again this seems rotten from the top down...as no calls have been returned etc. The reviews that state "...it was clean and modern..." are either from many years ago or a bold faced lie. This is just not the case...look at the photos for proof. Which means that tripadvisor is being scammed...and that means that fake reviews like these are deceiving the customer.

Avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay...go to another property...you will then have a shot at a good room.