“Work in Progress” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Melville
Boston, Massachusetts
“Work in Progress”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

Have stayed at this Hilton about five years before and the rooms have really gone downhill. We stayed on the top executive floor simply to get a flat screen TV. Workers on the roof banging away with hammers right above us. Asked to be moved to another wing where the noise was less pronounced.

Cons:
1. Roof work is noisy from 9:00am until 5:00pm. If you don't care about the executive floor, stay a floor below 5.

2. Housekeeping is understaffed which I expected on a holiday week. Had to grab the vacuum from housekeeping after they left and clean the dirty floor they neglected.

3. Room furniture is beat-up. Burn hole in the sofa fabric

4. Can't control the temperature setting in room. In winter, it only blows heat. Good thing the windows crack open or we would have been very uncomfortable in a stuffy room.

5. Hot tub out of commission

6. Toilet plugged-up. Maintenance unplugged but left water all over. Said someone would clean the floor. Waited two hours after multiple inquires.

Pros:

1. Front desk and lobby staff are patient and effective problem-solvers. Great thanks to Meaghan at the front desk who really helped us through these challenges with great professionalism. Lobby staff took security seriously and their warm felt greetings on arrival was appreciated.

2. The refurbishment plans are posted in the hotel and they are lovely and tasteful. Plans to renovate the rooms begin in February 2012'. I would certainly return after renovation.

3. The pool area is still one of the nicest. It's a lagoon style pool with many nice features such as changing lights and a waterfall backdrop. Plenty of places to sit including tables for larger groups. Pool staff was attentive (keeping safe eye out for swimmers), yet laid back. Just my type. Hope they get around to upgrading the pool locker rooms.

4. Beautiful renovated gym facilities. Brand new cardio equipment with personal TVs. Free ear buds,cold water and hand towels available. Hilton Garden Inns offer these amenities. I'm glad the flagship brand is moving in this direction.

Service score is split between excellent front staff and poor housekeeping.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island - Huntington, responded to this review, January 12, 2012
Dear Tronunit:

I appreciate your compliments about our hotel in terms of pool, service at the front desk, and signs of renovations, I was disappointed to learn that you heard noise by the roof work that was occurring during your stay until you were moved to a different area and that our engineering and housekeeping staff were not at their best. During the month of December, we replaced all guest room HVAC units and as you stated, we will begin our guest room renovations at the end of January. Thank you for being our guest, and we look forward to serving you when you return.

387 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Islip, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

At 500 per couple, you would expect at best 5 star and at least 3 stars!! We went to the hotel a few years back and it was 400 per couple and we had an amazing time. This year their was a lot less people at 500/couple. They raised the price and gave you ALOT less. The dinner was a sit-down dinner. We received a hockey puck called filet mignon and 2 scallops which were also over cooked. The appetizers that were being passed out were not given out generously. The dessert tasted old. I felt like I was at a cheap wedding. We were wondering when they were going to throw the garter. They had no Patron tequila and they called it top shelf. The sound system for the DJ was horrible. The food was so bad, we ate Dominos at 2am because we were starving for anything to soak up the alchohol we needed to drink to make it through the night. We got up for the breakfast buffet early and it looked like no one vaccuumed from the night before. They had a separate private party the night before and evidently did not vaccuum. I have worked in a lot of hotels before and I am soooooo disappointed by the Hilton. The waiter asked us how our stay was and we told him. We asked him what happened from last years to this year. We were informed a new restaurant group took over and apparently did not listen to advice from experience employees on what would make a good night for guests. I think this is very foolish; because the employees know best what guests like and do not like. I will never go to this hotel or recommend this hotel to anyone. I am very disgusted how much money was charged and how little was put in to this event!!! They should be ashamed of themselves!!!

Room Tip: Just dont go here!!! You will be disappointed!!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island - Huntington, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Dear Sparky S:

I am disappointed to learn you were unhappy with our NYE package, and I appreciate your feedback. Because, we are a new management company, we called several other venues offering an overnight NYE package to ensure our offerings were competitive. We did serve all top shelf liquors including Grey Goose, Johnny Walker Black, and Tangeray, and when Patron was requested, it was served. Much of the feedback we received was positive in terms of DJ, food, and overnight accommodations. I am sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations.

Thank you for responding to TripAdvisor with your comments.
Cary, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

We had a great stay for the holidays with only a few mishaps. First the bad. The shower curtain had mildew on the bottom and was never changed over a four day stay, we had to call three times one day for service and the trash was not emptied and the breakfast cook put out berries out of the carton with out washing them first then the manager told me they rinse them then put them back into the container but the next day she DID rinse them and another cook brought them out rinsed in a new bowl. Please do not insult my intelligence! Finally, the hot tub was out of order and we were told it would be a day or two but after five days it was still out of service. Disappointing they did not have more accurate information to give. We booked a room on the concierge level which was closed for the week. This information was not given to us until we arrived. They did give vouchers for breakfast and appetizers but we were disappointed we did not have the lounge we had reserved.

Now the good. The room was perfect for a family of four. There was a king bed and a pull out sofa and the bedding was good quality. The room was very clean save for the mildewed shower curtain and some mildew in the caulk of the tub. The amenities are lovely and high quality. The fitness center is small but the treadmills are really nice and the kids enjoyed the indoor pool and we appreciated the attendant on duty.

All of the minor mishaps were easy to overlook because the staff at the front desk and the shuttle driver were first class! The service was great. Everyone was friendly and helpful (except the cook and the restaurant manager). Our breakfast server was GREAT! He was great with the kids and we enjoyed having him each morning. The shuttle driver was charming and was a great tour guide on the way to the train station and the night auditor and front desk staff were all smiles and help!

Overall a good stay. They are getting ready to renovate so I would not stay between February and May but after that I can comfortably recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Misskay6367:

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I was disappointed to learn that the shower curtain in your guest room was not changed prior to your checking in. I apologize. I am also sorry that the hot tub was not in working order during your stay. It is unfortunate, but our heater failed, and we had to replace the heater and some valves; forcing us to close it for a couple of days. I was pleased to learn that you found many of our employees to be first class in their service efforts. Thank you for being our guest.
Ventura County
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I stopped staying here two years ago because of indifferent service and an aging property. Things have changed. The service was terrific in all areas, the lobby areas are vastly improved, and the rooms are being updated. The location is great. If you take the LIRR, it is a short ride to the hotel from the Farmingdale stop. The breakfast was very good and the setting was very relaxing. Dinner was just OK.
I had none of the problems described by some of the other reviews. I will certainly stay here again when in town on business.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the rear of the property have the best view.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Travelinscott:

Thank you for review on our hotel. I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. We are in the process of renovating. We have upgraded our HSIA, our fitness center, and guest room fan coil units. Our guest room renovations begin at the end of this month. Thank you for being our guest. We look forward to you return.
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

The Hiton is in the process of refurbishing and you could get caught in the middle. I was on the Hilton Honors floor (4) and it really looked bad when I walked the hall to my room. The other rooms were open and it was clear that the heating/cooling systems were being torn out. It made me a bit worried about what I would see when I got to my room. Thankfully, my room was in good repair. The decor needs an update and it is suprising to get a room with no flat screen TV. The TV reception was not the best.
The room was comfortable, immaculate and the staff do a good job.
Breakfast buffet or ordering went well. There were many healthy options so that I could be gluten-free.
The front desk staff were very good.
There are two Marriotts nearby. I would check pricing and look forward to the "finished" product at the Hilton.

Room Tip: Ask to ba far from the ongoing construction.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island - Huntington, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
Dear Celiactraveler:

Thank you for your feedback. We are in the process of renovating. We just enhanced our HSIA access. Additionally, we have replaced all of our guest room HVAC units with more efficient ones. Our guest room renovations will begin in February. We will be replacing all of our case goods and putting in flat screen televisions with HD channels. Thank you for staying at our property, and we look forward to your return visit.
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

We were staying here to attend a friend's wedding nearby. The hotel staff was not helpful, they seemed overwhelmed and unprepared to handle the volume of guests staying - I know there were two weddings that had guests staying here and another large group of girls' soccer players staying. Hotel seemed understaffed. Rooms were dirty and no where near the expectations one would have for the Hilton brand.

I was flying in from out of town, so I had confirmed with the hotel early in the day that I had a room with two queen beds that connected to a friend's room and requested the room be ready for early check in. We ended up not arriving early but right at 4PM for check in. I assumed since my room was to be ready early, it would definitely be ready for me at regular check in time. Had to wait in a line for about 20 mins, lots of people checking in at this time and they did not have a single room in the hotel available with two beds. They asked me if a king bed was sufficient - obviously if I had wanted a king I would have requested it when I booked my room back in September.

They told me it might be over an hour before they could have the room ready that I needed - well by that time we needed to be on our way to the wedding. Since we needed to get ready, I agreed to anything they would put me in. The staff convinced me to stay in a "King jr suite" with a pull out couch. Arrived to the room - NO couch. Called the front desk and they sent a ROLLAWAY bed. So as an adult, I slept on a cot (felt like a piece of plywood with springs) and my 3 adult friends shared a king bed. Luxurious huh? To top it off, the room across the hall from us was under construction and everyone else staying for the same wedding was on the 5th floor.... I was on the 2nd.

I was very disappointed in the customer service from the hotel. They didn't do anything to accommodate us, and never even checked to see if we were okay after they sent up a cot. Severely disappointed in the hotel, the quality of the hotel itself and the quality of service. It was upsetting to me since I know the bride and groom had a large amount of guests staying at this hotel for the wedding and we had blocked off and reserved rooms months ago. The hotel generated enough revenue from this block of rooms that they could have treated us better or offered us something better!

Have no reason to ever return to this hotel, I advise you to look elsewhere if you need to stay in this area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Meghan_sim:

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I must apologize that you found our staff to be unhelpful and that we were unable to provide you with an early check in. I also apologize that we did not have a room with two double beds available to you and that you had no choice but to sleep on a rollaway bed. We are in the midst of renovating. Our guest room renovation begins in February and while you were staying we were replacing all of our guest room HVAC units. Thank you for pointing out some areas of opportunity where we can better serve our guests.
Palm Coast, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

This is a Hilton? I think not, more like a motel 6! It takes 30 minutes of wasting running water for it to get LUKE-WARM and the drain in the tubs are clogged, making the water freezing cold!
The hair dryer did not work, and if you expect to have AC in your room FORGET ABOUT IT! They tell you to open your window... really???

The "rennovations" are extremely noisy, the hotel hallways were dirty (off of the elevator on floor 4 there was pizza left on the ground!!!)

I came from out of state to this dump for my friends wedding, not to mention my friend's sister ordered the bride and groom Champagne and Strawberries which were NEVER delivered to their room on their wedding night!!! The employees at the front desk were so nonchalant that it was disgusting. This place should be shut down for horrible customer service and lieing on their website. They did not even state that there were rennovations going on, or that the plumbing sucked, and there was no working AC!

I would never step foot back into this motel. Oh and did I mention the hooker that was on the elevator? Yea... that is what you can expect if you stay here!

Room Tip: Avoid this dump! You would do better at a motel.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Long Island - Huntington? Share your experiences!