“right on track” 4 of 5 stars

GRAND ISLAND
231 attraction reviews
“right on track”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

this is a tremendous, off-the-beaten-rail look back at how the railroads were, nicely organized, busy enough to keep youngsters going for quite a while... best way to visit is to find when one of the many trains are operating -- ranging from Thomas the Tank to Wine Trips (Thomas the Tanked?) in which museum admission is included

Visited April 2013

Ottawa, Canada
11 attraction reviews
“Not just for train enthusiasts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I visited the Medina Railroad Museum, thinking this might be a fun photo-op, but was very, very impressed. I was chatting with Marty, who is clearly very proud of his place, and I described to him that my experience was like drinking from a fire hydrant ... with so much to take in at once: - a huge amount of floorspace just crammed to the rafters with interesting artifacts and a massive table creatively set out with intricate displays featuring miniature railroads, buildings and settings of all types. The attention to detail was just astounding. I went through twice that afternoon and could have done it a couple more times - finding something new to see each time.

Congratulations Marty ... what a place!!!

Visited April 2013
Derby. NY
7 attraction reviews
“Polar Express”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Went to Medina Train Museum & Polar Express train ride with 2 small children (ages 2 &4). They loved the museum, so much to see & very interactive. We arrived early & had plenty of time to look @ all the trains. Everytime you looked at the set up you saw something different. It was great. We really went for the Polar Express with Santa & were surprised with the museum. The train ride was so cute, the chefs served cookies & hot cocoa. They read the polar express as we rode, I must say it was hard to hear because the children were so excited to see Santa. 1/2 way through, Santa came aboard, the children were so excited!! He talked to every child & took time for many pictures, the cildren's face were priceless!!! Well worth the trip & plan to do it again next year.

Visited December 2012
Lockport, New York
14 attraction reviews
“The Polar Express”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Took my 4-1/2 yr. old granddaughter to the Medina Railroad Museum's Polar Express trip. I actually screwed up and thought we were to get the train in Lockport. After waiting around and realizing that there was some mistake - drove like a crazy person to Medina and explained to the ticket lady that we had missed the 4:40 trip and had a very upset little lady hoping to get on the train. She managed to get us on an otherwise full train, luckily for me (instead of being the best Nana, I would have felt like the worst for goofing up!)
Let me tell you that although it is prob. a little expensive if you have a lot of kids...if they are at that right age, they will just love it! From the authentic looking tickets to the Hot, Hot, Hot cocoa servers, the conductor (owner Marty) coming around and punching the tickets, Santa and his elves getting on @ the North Pole - it was all just magical. The best part (even for this old grandma) was when Santa presented each child with their own "1st gift of Christmas bell" (engraved with Polar Express) Don't miss it. Was worth every penny. My granddaughter wanted to know if it was going to be morning when we got home ;-)

Visited December 2012
East Bethany, New York
10 attraction reviews
“You could spend all day just looking...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I took a mix of elementary and middle-school aged kids here for a random day off school, and it was a hit :)

The museum itself is a restored depot, fascinating for me, not so much for the kids. Inside, there is an HO scale train layout that is over 600 feet long and still growing. There are so many working trains and accessories that we circled the whole thing several times, just pointing and exclaiming over it.

Since I had younger kids, I brought a couple of road bingo games - the kind you play in the car that challenge you to find things like telephone booths, campers, motorcycles, barns, etc. They younger ones had a great time searching the layout and not only got bingo, but filled their boards!

The older kids were also interested in the large collection of memorabilia around the outside of the building. You can see everything from oxygen tanks to gears to railroad china to old tickets. It was a history lesson on display.

At the end of the day we stopped in the tiny gift shop for a few train-related items. Most of the kitsch in there is not of the same quality as the museum, but there are a few gems.

Someday we're going to come back and actually ride the train...

Visited June 2012

Been to Medina Railroad Museum? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Medina Railroad Museum, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.