“Meh” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Medford
West Haven, Connecticut, United States
“Meh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

This is the kind of place that's fine if you are travelling through and just staying a single night. The lobby reeks of smoke and the carpeting throughout is dirty and old. The room was dark but cleanish and housekeeping left the air on hot on a steamy night in August and it took us an hour to get the room to an acceptable temperature. Convenient to the highway. A little to pricey for the quality.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Syracuse, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel three times and in my opinion, three times too many. I should have learned the first time. It is very apparent that this hotel, a franchise, is not being kept up in the condition that Choice Hotels International expect as a standard. To look from afar, the hotel looks good but when looking closely, there are several inconsistencies and subpar services compared to other comparable hotels I have stayed in. First of all, the hotel still has smoking rooms and their smoking section is so intense, the smell emanates from that section into other parts of the hotel and the staircase going into the back parking lot. Every hotel room I have stayed in at this hotel has had a residual smoke smell in it with another layer of smell that could only be from an Ozone machine which is an air purifier that has toxic fumes in it. My lungs burned and I got an instant headache when I first entered the room during my last stay in June. I called the front desk and requested another room but they said they were sold out. I asked if someone had smoked in this room and they said no but they would bring me air freshener. They brought me fabreze as well as "Smoke Away", a commercial toxic spray which they never should have handed over to a guest. Then ten minutes later I went out in the hallway and saw an Ozone machine on the floor outside the room next door! They lied to me. Obviously there is a smoke smell issue. The only way I could stay in this room and sleep was to turn off the A/C unit and just use the vent which meant a HOT and STICKY sleep. It was very unpleasant and I was very upset. In previous stays I have found the room conditions to be unsanitary as I found blood stains and hair on my sheets. When I brought this to the attention of the person at the front desk they just said "oh okay we will change it" ... no apologies! Also, in all the rooms I have stayed in, there have been broken lampshades, stained chairs, lights that don't work and peeling wallpaper. It is a place I have vowed never to return to and I regret staying there as many times as I did.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you are allergic to smoke or dislike the smell!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

Check-in was not only efficient but also friendly, as always. Our non-smoking room was indeed non-smoking. Free W-Fi and Free Parking also were as expected.

The room was clean, comfortable, with a desk to work at planning the day's itinerary.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Lake City FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I really enjoyed the stay but was having problem with the air conditioner not working. I should have told the front desk and I'm sure they would have worked it out. Everything else was perfect! The breakfast was excellent!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Manassas, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Last minute trip to Long Island. The price of the room was not the lowest on Hotels.com but it was a good price. All they had left in a King Size was smoking but I booked it anyway on line.
When we got there pretty late on Saturday night they were able to with out question give me a non smoking room. The room was large the bed was comfortable and the staff was friendly and helpful. The remote didn't work for the TV, so the front desk went and found me a brand new remote.
The breakfast was fine and the ease of getting on the internet was great.
I would stay again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor at the back of the hotel, there was no noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Colebrook, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel...

However this hotel would need some updates, repair and renovation in public area... Dirty and smelly some place and their fitness center smell bad and is in very poor condition..

On the bright side, the room upgrade was a nice touch... I enjoyed the jacuzzi and the flat screen tv as well as the great wifi and comfortable King Bed... The only thing bad is the air from the A/C and the fan smell very bad and cause me headache each night and morning; filters should be clean or replace...

Good breakfast very standard as other Choice Hotel like this one...

Thanks a lot! Will stay again...

• Stayed March 2012
New York/Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

In the early morning hours of February 25, 2012, I was heading home when I suddenly realized my car's front left tire had burst. I struggled to get my car off the highway, and since the auto repair shops had closed for the night, I pulled into the nearest hotel from my position, which happened to be this Comfort Inn. I was booked into a room without a hassle, and the hotel staff even offered me tips on getting my tire replaced. I had a sleepless night, but that was not because of any problems with anything inside the hotel, but because of my guilty feeling over my busted tire combined with a stomachache that struck me during the night. The next morning, after I searched in vain for auto repair shops within walking distance, a hotel maintenance worker helped me remove my busted tire and install my spare tire, which enabled me to check out of the hotel and get back home around 10:30 am to eat a good meal and catch up on sleep. There was a good breakfast selection, although I didn't eat much due to my sleepless night because I didn't want to feel sleepy after filling myself up.

Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!