“HEADS UP: It's a TANDEM bike tour!” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 10 Attractions in Mattituck
New York City, New York
9 attraction reviews
“HEADS UP: It's a TANDEM bike tour!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

My friends and I purchased vouchers from Living Social for the vintage bike tour on the north fork of Long Island and were extremely disappointed. After spending $44 each on round trip on transportation to the tour (and going out of our way because the voucher had an outdated address) we learned that the bikes for the tour were first come, first served and there were only tandem bikes left.

My friend was especially nervous about the tandem which made me not want to give it a try. One of the women was really nice and tried to make us feel better about riding a tandem, but watching my other friends struggle to get going made us even more nervous. I asked if maybe they could ask some of the riders who got there early enough to secure a single bike if they were willing (not force them, but never hurts to ask...) to swap, but they weren't willing to even ask.

The manager was not as nice and argued that we should have known this would be tandem ride. In fact, nothing in the write up mentioned that: https://touch.livingsoci… I was able to find a note about it on the FAQ section of the vendor site -- a little buried, considering it's such a big part of the experience.

They offered us to ride our own tandems with no second rider the bikes were just too big for me (I am 5'0) to ride safely. We ended up leaving the tour and making the best of our time on the north fork. The vendor offered to honor our certificates at a later date but thankfully, we were able to get a refund from Living Social instead.

Visited August 2012