“Magnificent Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Maspeth
Newark, New Jersey
“Magnificent Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

I enjoyed my stay at these specific holiday inn express in maspeth,
rooms and bathrooms were just outstanding. it was an easy access to city, the front desk people were really a helpful hand while giving directions to and fro.
Car parking was well lit and secured.
location is also good in a way as everything is near by 5 to 10 mins drive.
and its cheaper too!!!!!!!!!!!!
would definately go back !!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

This was our first time in New York for vacation and this hotel is nothing close to what was stated in some of the reviews!!!! I think the good reviews were from relatives of the owner/manager of this hotel. I paid over $1500 to stay for 7 days and let me tell you it was a waste of my hard earned vacation money. If you stay here be ready not to sleep at night because yes there is a light shinning so bright into the roonm and not to mention that on Friday and Saturday nights there is car street racing across the street at the gas station. that is where all the cars hang out for those two nights. the police came after four hours but still they did not stop it. The rooms are dirty, dutsy and the air conditioning does not work. There were other complaints about the air from other customers during our stay. If you like to exercise, the gym equipment is dirty, I think nasty is a better word to use. Also equipment does not work and also air and TV do not work in the gym and also smells like mold. Yes they do have a laundry room where you can wash your cloths but let me say this, I RATHER WHERE MY CLOTHES FOR A YEAR BEFORE I WAS IT THERE! The washer smelled, was nasty dirth inside, had pubic hair in it, gross. Made a complaint and they said they cannot control how people wash. TV in my room did not work and waited four hours before they came up to see what was wrong with it. Also our mattress was old and had a dent in the middle of it. Complained about that and they moved us to another room after aruging and waiting for them to confirm what we were complaining about wasted a whole day and was not able to do what we were supposed to do that day. Hair and dust in rooms. Only two cleaning people on duty during our stay there. Forgot my cell charger there and I called the day after i left and was told it was found and they would mail it to me and here it is 14 days after still have not received. The only good thing i can say is the lady who prepares and handles breakfast was amazing and clean. I will never stay there again I would rather sleep in the street.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Milanhiex, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Maspeth, Queen New York, responded to this review, October 20, 2010
Guest complained about the complimentary laundry service not working and dirty, we took their laundry right away and had cleaned and dry for them and the dryer was also cleaned for them at that same instance.
guest had problems with one of their bed and reported us after 2 days.
we did refunded half of the amount for their two nights.
Rest of his complaints we aere not aware off and neither were we informed
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

High quality for what was once a budget chain -- very high quality linens and comfortable beds; very good service at the desk; business center was great for printing directions; breakfast was plentiful and relatively decent; parking was free and even on-street parking seemed pretty safe; right on 495 so driving there is easy, though the highway noise was almost not there/unheard. Downsides -- too far from the subway stops to make it very usable, and not much in walkable distance for food and local color. But if you have a car, the city is close by, and we found parking in other parts of Brooklyn easy and free, so once you leave this hotel's immediate area, the world is your oyster. And we made an easy twenty-minute drive to a nice public beach at Jones point/ Ft. Tilden -- don't miss this.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

This hotel looks new from outside and in the lobby, but the staff must not be doing a very good job of cleaning it. There was a lot of black mold in the bathtub and surrounding the toilet. Disgusting! But that's not the worst problem.

If you stay here, you better hope that you do not get placed in the room with the blinding, baseball stadium-type light shining directly into it. Because if you do, there is no way to get out of that room and you will not get any sleep.

The room over the entry to the hotel has a gigantic spotlight shining directly into it which makes it impossible to sleep. When I checked in, I noticed the problem IMMEDIATELY, and asked to be assigned to another room. Instead of being assigned to another room, I was told that every room had that problem and that I just had to live with it. (A lie.)

To make matters worse, upon checkout, I mentioned the light to another clerk at the hotel and she denied any knowledge of the light - adding insult to injury. Both staff members gave me contradictory information about the room - one told me that it was useless to change rooms because all of the rooms had a bright light shining inside, while the other denied any knowledge of the light whatsoever. Judging from each of their immediate, defensive reactions, it seemed that both had dealt with this complaint in the past. What is disturbing is that neither of them had a response making a customer feel welcomed at the hotel.

It kills me that the hotel clerk had the power and opportunity to make my stay pleasant - by moving me to another room - but chose not to. I travel a lot on business and for pleasure and have never encountered such treatment. The message that the staff sent to me was: (1) the customer is not right, and (2) my comfort is not of their concern.

That wasn't my only problem with their hospitality. I requested a crib for my child and was told that they could not get it to my room until 11 pm. I paid close to $200 to spend the night here and could not get a crib for my child to sleep in before 11 pm? Outrageous.

It was clear to me that the comfort of customers is not a priority of anyone I encountered during my stay. I am awaiting a response from the hotel chain to find out if Holiday Inn Express cares to address this issue or if they will just look the other way.

One more thing to consider. The neighborhood surrounding the hotel is full of abandoned warehouses. A few blocks away, we saw people smoking crack outside on the street and saw people buying drugs in their cars.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Milanhiex, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Maspeth, Queen New York, responded to this review, October 20, 2010
none of our bathrooms have black molds. but there are few rooms which has iron rust, and they are very negligeble and not harmful. about the bright lights, there are flood lights to lit up the parking lot and the building for our guest safety but for that, there are 2 curtains on window which definately wont allow any light to come in the building. For my front desk representative attitude, I'll surely love to have a word with you before taking any specific actions against them.
i do apologize for the crib too, as if it would have been a prior request before arrival we would have surely done it but again I am not aware of the whole situation and if the request is made upon arrival the we have to wait for house man to come in to do it.
do appologize for the inconvenience you had.
would see on to the matter, if had a chance to talk with you
Sincerely yours,
Parth
Front desk manager
Holiday Inn Express
59-40 55th road,
Maspeth,NY 11378
Union City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

Delightful experience from checking in to checking out. Incredible staff provided excellent service. The hotel was Clean, Cozy and Comfortable. The hotel is just outside the city in a quite and romantic location. Overall it was an awesome experience and this was one of the BEST HOTELS in New York.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

I had a great time at this hotel! I visited New York for a couple of days with some of my friends and from all the hotels i looked into i decided to stay at this location. It is in a very convenient location and only 15 minutes away from the city, what can be usefull if you have a bunch of girls going out every night. The rooms were spacious and the frontdesk was helpfull in regards to recommendations to restaurants and other entertainment.

Would defenitely come back to this location and would recommended to all of my friends that are coming from out of state.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2010

See clearly the mail they sendig you, since they will cheat in mail which will confuse . Suppose by mistake if this hotel booked, when you check-in the hotel don't believe any words given by reception and ask for wrritern satements. Becos they are cheating ppls.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Express Maspeth, Queen New York? Share your experiences!