“Good French Onion Soup” 4 of 5 stars

Description: http://www.yelp.com/biz/donovans-steak-and-ale-malone
Albany, New York, United States
“Good French Onion Soup”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Easy to find restaurant. Had great french onion soup and the prime rib/roast beef sandwich. I got my peanut butter explosion dessert to go. It was also delicious. Great service too.

Visited October 2013

Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

This meal was awesome. Both my husband and I ordered the Delmonico grilled rib eye steak topped with a maple bourbon demi glaze. It was cooked exactly the way I ordered and was extremely tender. I was disappointed that it came with fries (my fault for not noticing in the menu), however, the waitress returned with a side plate of mashed potatoes without making me feel like it was an effort. We were a group of 16 people and I was impressed with the service. The servers were friendly and knowledgeable and it was nice that the manager also stopped by to ask how things were. I look forward to returning there again if I in the area.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Virginia Beach, VA
“Surprisingly delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I say surprisingly because Malone is a very small town and there aren't a lot of choices here. So on the strength of reviews I read here we decided to try D's. I have to say, the food was amazingly good. Pricey but good. What we liked:

Very attentive service. Sarah, our waitress, was wonderful.
Background music was lovely and not too loud
Scallops with mango sauce - Wow! truly makes your mouth happy. Grated red onion offsets the sweet. Just perfect.
Hot bread with some type of whole grain in it and maple infused butter - had to force myself to stop at one serving and it was mighty difficult at that
Oh my goodness, the filet mignon with shrimp and this scrumptious sauce and mashed potatoes.

It was a very good meal.

What we didn't like:

Paying $10 for just two scallops. Really? Only two?
As tasty as the sauce was over the beef/shrimp/potatoes, it was strong; some diners might reject it for this reason and for the liberal use of pepper. My table mate felt this way and I was leaning toward saying "too strong" as well, but the filet was so buttery tender I pretty much ignored everything else.
Salads are delicious and portions are ample, but they are served on very small plates; it's difficult to take a bite without slopping lettuce on the table.

I wish I could rate D's 4.5 stars, but I cannot and I don't want to bump it down to 4--so it's 5.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Belfast, Maine
“Great Local Steak House”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The village of Malone is not noted for fne dining, but Donovan's is the exception. I recently visited for a golf vacation and was recommended to this excellent restaurant. My waitress was friendly, prompt and very helpful. I enjoyed a special that night of steak tips whith mushrooms and garlic in a Gorgonzola cream sauce. It was excellent and came with salad at a very reasonable price. The entire menu, which features steaks and several seafood items as well, was very moderate. I will return again if I am in the area.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Malone, New York
“"Best Meal I've ever had in my Life"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I went to Donovan's recently and had a steak dinner with friends. Our waiter immediately came to our table and took our orders,... no waiting. He was also very friendly, efficient and polite. We ordered and in what seemed like no time our food was served. It was one of the best meals I've ever had in my entire life !!! (although,... that's coming from a guy who's never had a bad meal !) Seriously though, it was great all the way around and the price was good too ! BRAVO !!!

• Visited August 2013