“Affordable, clean, relatively friendly, but no longer worth it for me” 3 of 5 stars
Review of City View Inn

You added City View Inn to your Saves list
City View Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33-17 Greenpoint Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Formerly BEST WESTERN City View Inn)   |
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Affordable, clean, relatively friendly, but no longer worth it for me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2010

I've stayed here a couple of times when visiting Manhattan. For about $100 less than you'd spend in the city, you get a clean, secure hotel room in a decent part of town and it's only a 20-30 minute subway ride to get into town. In the past they had a 24-hour FREE shuttle from the hotel to the 40th Street subway stop. I discovered on my last stay (10/2010) that while they still offer the shuttle free, it's no longer 24 hours. I can't remember exactly when the cut off is, but we got back from the city around midnight and had to pay $10 for the same exact shuttle from the subway to the hotel. In the past, the shuttle was a hotel-branded minivan that was free all the time. Now they appear to hire out to a livery service and while the cars are very very nice, I don't want to pay $10 every single night when I get back late (which most people do in NYC). I suppose the demand for the shuttle wasn't enough to keep it going 24 hours.

But that being said, if you want a clean, affordable hotel without NYC prices, it's a good bet.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

I called before I booked at this hotel and was assured it was pet-friendly. When I arrived, they informed me that I could not stay there with my dog. The man at the front desk then yelled at me for about 10 minutes, refused to give me a refund (even though I could not and did not stay the night there), and would not give me his name so I could complain to management about the bad service.

I filed a formal complaint with the national office, who informed me that the manager would contact me within a week. When that did not happen, I called the national office again. They told me that the manager had "done a thorough investigation and determined that no such incident had occurred." After about three weeks, I was finally able to get a refund. I was astonished by how unprofessional and rude the proprietor of this property was.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

We arrived at the hotel @ 7 am after a 15 hour flight from India. Check in is at 3 pm, but the very kind reception got us into a room by 9 am (at no additional cost). They even advised that we could wait in the breakfast room, and to help ourselves to coffee/breakfast. Breakfast was very good, with waffles and scrambled eggs. A nice perk, is a free shuttle to the subway. Pick up wait was less than 10 minutes. Rooms are a bit shabby, but clean. Elevator very slow. Good Hotel for spending time in Manhattan Easy access, but not much for restaurants or stores around the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
St. John's, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

We stayed at this hotel from Sept 16-18 (2 Nights). When we arrived at the hotel we were told by the front staff that our room was available however when we went to the room cleaning staff were still inside so we had to wait in the hall. The bed was comfortable. The bathtub in the room was dirty (hair etc) we brought our own cleaner to clean this out. The hotel was clean overall. The service was good. The breakfast was fine-basic. The shuttle service to and from the subway was not quick and one driver was friendly the other was not.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2010

I chose the hotel due to the free parking and cost, which was a tad high (US129) but acceptable since it was the long labor day weekend. Service seemed cold when I arrived early (busy day maybe?), but improved tremendously after lunch when I was allowed to check in early and got a room change to a twin double room which I had requested. The front desk was friendly and one can get free cookies too (late afternoon). The room itself was comfy, and well stocked with the amenities one would expect.

The breakfast was nothing special, ending a tad early (6am-9am) so do not sleep in if you want catch it. My friend who had a more selective tastebud did not see anything he liked.

Maybe due to feedback or cost, they have changed the shuttle service to a taxi service, and each room only gets to use it once a day. So one must always walk one trip between the metro. While it is a 15min walk, i do not recommend people to stay out too late due to the quiet streets that one has to walk through between the hotel and the station, Certainly do not recommend for people with families or young ones or even single female travelers.

While the area is not an touristy spot, it has a nice charm and overlook a quiet and beautiful cemetery. The architecture of the hotel itself is also quite interesting.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a 3 night - 4 day visit to the Big Apple. Our stay at the Best Western City Inn View was very pleasant. I had read the reviews ahead of time and was not disappointed by anything we experienced there - the hotel is old, the elevator is slow, the breakfast was adequate (mostly carbs) but for the price, was a great value. We used the hotel's free shuttle service to the 40th Street train everyday, which proved to be very helpful after walking and sightseeing all day. When you return you can call the hotel and they will send a car to pick you up at the same station. Shuttle service ends at 10 pm, however. Our king size room was very spacious, clean and the beds were comfortable enough. It is worth asking for a room with a view - it is spectacular. The staff was very friendly and helpful when needed. I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone who is looking for a decent hotel for a "cheaper-than -Manhattan" price and a good location for any sightseeing you may want to do. Overall, we enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

had to book it on short notice, was the only affordable place for those dates.
located in queens, metro station can be reached walking about 15 minutes, from there's a train directly to time square, so it was pretty easy to get into the city.
the area is pretty uninteressting except for this very, very huge old cemetary across the street which is great to take beautiful pictures as it has thousounds of statues and old tombstones. if you don't have a room facing manhattan you can get into the staircase and can take great photos of manhattan skyline.
the hotel is relatively clean even though the interior and furniture are quite old. breakfast is good.
there's a free shuttle to laguardia airport and to the metro station if you don't want to carry your luggage all the way. the driver was a very nice and funny guy ;)

not my favourite place but if you don't expect too much, it's a good place.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Been to City View Inn? Share your experiences!