“great for cheap stay in NYC. easy to city” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn a $50 Gift Card
Watertown, Massachusetts
“great for cheap stay in NYC. easy to city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

Stayed here last night with my boyfriend as he is moving to the city for a few months for an internship. We are both on a budget, but wanted to spend a night in NYC before he moved in on Sunday. the reviews we read were ok, but better then everything else in the area for the price, so we were a little hesitant but figured it was only one night... what the heck...We arrived at the hotel 1 hr after check in time. Our room wasn't ready but the front desk girl was very friendly. She offered us homemade cookies and said we could wait in the cafeteria where there was TV and coffee. About 20 minutes later our room was ready. after check in, the woman at the front desk took about 10 minutes talking to us about all the places we should go and how to get there. It was very helpful and greatly appreciated. when we got in the room, It actually exceeded my expectations for the price- there was a jacuzzi, which after a night in NYC, we took advantage of. Microwave, refrigerator, huge TV, king size bed, AC and the room actually smelled clean (like cleaning products), complimentary breakfast (although only to 9am was there breakfast, so kind of pointless if you are on vacation in NYC- no way are you waking up to make that deadline). Hotel also offers a shuttle (car service) which they said was free but it only goes to 10pm... who is back by 10 when on vacation in NYC? but it was a nice touch. All in all, if you don't want, or can't afford the ritz or hilton like us, this is definitely recommended as the staff was friendly and helpful, rooms were clean, and about a 15 minute walk to the Metro or cheap taxi ride.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

215 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
BRATISLAVA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

I chose this hotel because of the affordable price that also included breakfast and had a jacuzzi in the room. Upon my arrival the lady at the reception was very grumpy and could not be bothered with anything. At the same time there were some works being done on the elevators so the rooms could only be reached by staircase. While I was walking up I also noticed side entrance to the hotel, which was unlocked and not guarded, so anybody could really walk into the premises. The room, on the other hand, was very spacious and clean, with a nice view and very comfortable bed, big TV, lovely bathroom and free wifi. Even though my rate included the breakfast I didn't have it because it was only served until 9am. The hotel is quite far from Manhattan, the nearest subway station is about 20 minutes walk on not so quite safe streets, especially in the evenings. The subway journey takes about 20 minutes, although there were some diversions, so it can take a lot longer. There are a few restaurants and take-outs in the area. Upon check-out the lady at the reception (same as before) seemed in a much better mood and was friendly. I made a local call from my room which she said I didn't have to pay for. I also asked about the free shuttle to the subway station, but it does not go very frequent, and I would have needed to wait another 45 mins since there were already some people waiting before me. Overall, it is an ideal place to stay if you want to save some money and don't mind the longer distance to the city.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

We are presently staying at this property. We are so very pleased with their service that I thought I should write a review Immediately. Except the location ( they make up for this by providing FREE pickup and drop once a day to the nearest Metro station ), I cant think of any shortfalls with this hotel. The staff ( specially Mr. Ali and an African American gentleman whose name I dont know ) is very helpful and provided us with all the info required to travel by metro to Manhattan and back. The rooms are very clean and breakfast also is good.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

Maybe this hotel was recently renovated, but I had one of the cleanest rooms I have experienced in this area. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom spotless. Very good accomodations for the $$ in NY city area.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

We were stranded in New York during the recent volcanic ash fiasco and ended up in the City View Inn. We were a party of 7 in two rooms for one week. What could have been a very unpleasant stay turned out to be much more pleasant mostly due to the treatment we received at the City View Inn. The rooms were immaculate and the women who cleaned them were very accomodating. The front desk staff were also extremely helpful. Although this hotel is a little way from the center of New York, it is only a fifteen minute walk to the subway and the hotel provides free transport. Also a fifteen minute walk away were some really interesting restaurants. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Panama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

I have been to this hotel several times in the last three years, because they pick you up at the Laguardia Airport and take you back, take and pick you at the Metro station and had a hot breakfast. Now the hotel has no van, got rid of the drivers while we were there and try to make you walk to the metro (takes 30 minutes) and denies you service to the Airport even though it's still included in the Best Western Hotels website.
Guests had to keep asking for the manager to be taken to the metro station or back to the Airport. The manager didn't want to show his face due to the lack of service..
It's a pity since the hotel has very attentive corteous employees and to no fault of their own the impression of the hotel is lacking.
Had to tell by phone to the manager that I was an old client since they didn't want to honor the website offer of travel back to the Airport. This is not the way to spend a vacation. Therefore beware.
If you want to go anyway to his hotel anyway be prepared to argue and get mad as I saw several other guests doing. I heard it in English, French and German.
Everyday was an adventure since you didn't know if they would order a taxi for you or if you had to walk. I had to walk four days out of six days.
Beware also that if you get a taxi ordered by the hotel you have to tell them to include your bags, because otherwise you end up arguing with the taxi drivers that when you travel you do have suitcases, since the taxi driver told us the coupon just covered persons. Not a way to end a vacation travel. As soon as I arrived home I checked the website of the hotel, and they still offer transportation from and to the La Guardia Airport which you have to argue to get and transportation to and from the Metro station which they didn't give me four times out of six.
Maybe if you take the fact sheet printout of the hotel you have better luck than I did. Good luck with it, because the justification for the lack of service was that they had cheaper rates.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Triad, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2010

There were 4 of us -- my teenage son, 22-yr-old son and his girlfriend, and me. My sons had never been to NYC and I hadn't been in years. We wanted to visit the city but didn't want to spend a fortune, so we checked w/friends who had been and did a lot of searching. Found this place, but wasn't sure it would be safe/clean, etc. even after reading other reviews. Got there Saturday afternoon and were greeted w/freshly baked cookies in the lobby! Checking in was no problem, and when we realized we only had enough towels for 3 people all we had to do was call the front desk and more were brought up right away. We wanted to go into NYC, so checked to see what we needed to do to get the shuttle. It was available within minutes, and we found this to be true each day. We were there Saturday, Sunday and Monday and went into the city each morning and came back later in the evening (9 - 11 pm). We called the hotel as soon as we arrived at the subway station and the van was there to pick us up within 10 minutes or so every time. All staff was very courteous and responsive. In fact, the first morning we were there, I had a bag and my camera on my shoulder. As I was getting out of my seatbelt and leaving the van, I must have dropped my camera. I didn't realize it until I got off the subway, though. I immediately called the hotel, and as soon as I identified myself the person at the desk said, "We have your camera." What a relief! If/When we visit the city again, we are extremely likely to do exactly the same thing we did this time. It was a real bargain, the rooms were clean, breakfast was fine, the shuttle service was great, and staff was wonderful. We could be into the city at the site we were visiting within half an hour of leaving the hotel. We saw all the sights and didn't feel like we spent an arm and a leg doing it. We were looking for a comfortable place to sleep that didn't cost a lot, but was conveniently located -- and this was it for us!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN City View Inn? Share your experiences!