“For Queens, it meets expectations” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Long Island City
United States
“For Queens, it meets expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

If the Management and Supervisor persons were as friendly and helpful as their subordinates, this would be the nicest place to stay in Long Island City. And it would be easier to overlook "little" things, like no TV guide channel for the unfamiliar viewer, uninvited but ever-present "6-legged visitors" in the room (leave the bathroom lights on 24/7 if you don't want to see them). Much routine maintenance is not performed until a guest requests it . The free internet service/guest computers are a joke - slow, cumbersome, not much use. But everything is adequate, generally speaking. And upon leaving, while the Management never wishes you a safe journey or thanks you for coming, the Shuttle Van driver always does! There are some wonderful restaurants in the area - Bliss Station is one, Bandy's (just 2 doors away, is EXCELLENT) - Victoria II pizza one mile East, on 46th street just off Queens Blvd has the best crust we've ever experienced!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

Let me say, I don't usually write a review unless I was really bothered by something. However, I plan to start writing reviews more often since I stay in hotels a lot in NYC.

I travel to NYC a lot and I've found deals as low as $115 for the Milford in the heart of Times Square, which has a big comfortable bed like a Hilton and was a great experience. I've also found slightly higher prices at other nice hotels in Manhattan. To me, if you are going to stay in Long Island City the accommodations should be pretty good and convenient. I've found rates as low as $80 in hotels in LIC that were 2 or 3 blacks away from the subway. I'm saying all of this to justify my title. Now getting to the Best Western.

I thought I would try it out because I've had good experiences in LIC. This was the worst hotel I've stayed at in LIC for a number of reasons. 1) the hotel is not walking distance from the subway. They have a hotel van that will pick you up, but what if you are coming back at an odd hour of the night after having fun in Manhattan? Also, it's better to be able to walk from the train than have to wait for a van that may or may not come soon enough. 2) I used the van to drop me off at the subway in the morning. The van was filthy inside. This might have been an omen if I had used it coming as well. 3) The furniture in my room was old. You can only vacuum a carpet so many times b4 it needs to be replaced. The same thing for other items as well. The facility has a grimy feel about it. I didn't want to walk on the carpet and I slept with the lights on because I've slept in enough hotels to sense when I want the lights on. 4) The bathroom was pretty clean, but the tiles and such were uneven and looked like they had been put together by an amateur. One thing that really turned me off about the bathroom was that I saw a ROACH in the bathroom in the morning. This could be because I was staying on the first floor and the kitchen is on the first floor so the smell of the food brought them out. Either way, I don't expect to see roaches in my hotel room. That was a deal breaker for me.

In terms of positives, the room had a microwave and small fridge, which I didn't open. The fridge was pretty noisy and I didn't look inside to see if it was clean or not. The TV was OK. The bed was decent, but the spread looked dated. The hotel has a decent size area for parking, if you are driving.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2009

We needed a place to stay for one night, near LGA. This was about $40 cheaper than anything I could find in the area! I couldn't even find anything on Priceline auctions. For the price, I was willing to put up with anything. The hotel turned out to be a great choice. They have a free shuttle to and from the airport and quite a nice breakfast included in the price. The location is safe with some deli's and small shops within walking distance. The room was nice, clean and had been remodeled very well at some point. The front desk people were very helpful and hooked us up with a driver we continued to use throughout our stay in NYC. I would have stayed there for more than one night! It turned out to be a better value than the condo we had rented. And it even had a small fridge and microwave. This is not a five star hotel, but for those who want a decent, safe, place to stay in this area, I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Battle Ground, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

This weekend was a surprise for my 30th birthday. We arrived at Laguardia airport in the morning on Friday 12/15. After a small misunderstanding with the woman at the front desk. (Our reservation was somehow deleted.) The woman was a little short with us and not very helpful. Once this was cleared up she sent the free airport shuttle to pick us up. It arrived promptly and we were greeted by a very friendly young man. He helped us with all of our luggage and was very pleasant on the way to the hotel. When we arrived, the rude woman on the phone was very pleasant to us in person. She immediately gave us our room even though we were several hours before check in. Our room had a king size bed and was a very good size (for New York) After taking a long nap we woke up and ordered pizza from a nearby pizza delivery recommended by the night desk clerk. It was excellent. The bed was comfortable and the room was quite. We found that the room was in need of a little updating. Also the cleaning could have been a little more thorough. We took the shuttle first thing in the morning to the nearby Subway stop. On the way the shuttle driver stopped so I could pick up a coffee. I found the free shuttle to be very convenient. We would call the hotel a few stops away from our Subway stop. The shuttle driver was always waiting for us. He took us to a grocery store so we could pick up some things for our room. This is not a luxury hotel but for the money, $129 a night in December. It was a great deal. We ate the complimentary breakfast every morning. They had waffles and eggs and was kept up very nice. I am rating this a 3 only because I don't think any Best Western would earn a 4 or 5. For the price I feel that this is a terrific hotel for a trip to New York. We will stay here again in the future! Enjoy!

• Liked — Price! Large Room! Most of the employees were fantastic!
  • Disliked — Cleanliness....Decor
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ocala, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

We stayed at the Best Western Motor Inn for 5 nights over the Thanksgiving holiday. After reading reviews here I knew what to expect and knew we were not checking into a luxury hotel that might go for $300-$400 a night. I booked the room through their hotel website at a government rate for only $129 a night.

Upon arriving at LaGuardia I called the hotel and we were picked up in less than 15 minutes by a very friendly driver.

The room we had served our purpose very well. We had a fridge, microwave and coffee pot--we even had an exercise bicycle. The room was clean and quiet. One day we stayed in because of the weather and ordered Chinese takeout that was delivered right to our room in less than half an hour. The microwave and fridge came in handy for the leftovers. Breakfast was very good with eggs, sausage and make your own waffles---and my favorite, a large variety of donuts. With the large breakfast we had, we saved time and money by not having to stop for lunch.

When we wanted to go into the city we would only have a short wait for the shuttle which would take us to the subway entrance. The #7 train took us directly into Times Square in about 20 minutes. We purchased an all day subway pass for $7.50 so we were able to visit other areas of the city without getting a cab. No matter what time we returned on the subway all we had to do is call the hotel and we were picked up in about 10 minutes.

The neighborhood appeared to be residential and safe.

The staff were all very friendly-from the front desk to housekeeping to the shuttle drivers.

I would absolutely stay at this hotel again. I gave it a five rating even though it was not a luxury hotel--it was everything we expected and more.

If going into Manhattan to see all of the sights I would recommend the City Sights bus--just look for the guys on the corner with the yellow jackets as soon as you exit the subway station.. We purchased a 48-hour pass for $49 each and it included a tour of downtown and uptown Manhattan, Brooklyn, Harlem and a 75 minute harbor cruise. You can hop on and off of the bus as much as you want and there is always another bus to pick you back up in about ten minutes. On the bus there is a tour guide who lets you know about the city.

• Liked — The price and the closeness to Manhattan
  • Disliked — Nothing that comes to mind
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
panama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2008

This a hotel we have been to several times in the last two years. The personnel are friendly, speak english and spanish.
Your are picked up at La Guardia Airport when you arrive and your are taken back when you need to get back and are ready with your bags.
You get a hot breakfast and at night warm cookies and whatever is leftover from the breakfast.
You can see Manhattan from upper rooms at a distance. A vision to behold. Rooms have microwave, fridge, coffee maker.
There is individual air conditioner or heater depending on your needs.
If you forget toiletries, they are provided by hotel.
You get extra towels if needed.
Make reservation through website and then phone the hotel directly, they might lower your rate.

• Liked — friendliness of personnel and desire to help you
  • Disliked — waiting for the shuttle in the airport
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

We stayed for $125/night for 2 adults and 1 child. The location is okay, I don't recommend walking at night but during the day is fine. Not much in a close radius. The closest subway stop (and restuarants) is about a 25 minute walk. The have a shuttle that is good when it is available but if you need to be somewhere by a specific time, its best to use a car service. We used Java car service (you can google the ph #), and they were always there in 5 minutes and charged only $6 to the subway stop, $15 to the airport. ~~~ Hotel interior: we had a king nonsmoking on the even side of the building - great views of the city at sunset!! This hotel has been completely renovated and our room was excellent. Bed was brand new, comfy, good pillows. There was a little living room area with a sofa (had a SINGLE size pullout bed), table, desk and microwave. Everything was very clean and comfortable, although the sq footage was tight. ~~~~ Amenities: they had 2 computers that were fairly fast, the printer was broke. The breakfast was great: scrambled eggs and sausage, cook your own waffles, Dunkin doughnuts, muffins, fruit and cereal. There seemed to be ample parking for a car. Overall, I highly recommend this hotel if your looking to stay at an affordable rate.

• Liked — The value for the money
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN City View Inn? Share your experiences!