“hotel rating” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
potomac, United States
“hotel rating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Overall a good value for the buck. my room had minor issues, such as clogged bath tub drain, room lighting was a little dark, tv playback was not clear on both screen and sound. good breakfast. enjoyed the shuttle services.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Rio Rancho, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here as a stop on our honeymoon and were completely dissatisfied. It is not close to anything, and the shuttle service is unreliable! The room was like a 70's adult movie set with ridiculous mirrors taking up entire walls! The hallways, lobby, and worst of all, the room all smelled of generations of smoke. Cost was low, but spend the extra and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

First i'll preface by saying the good, their complementary breakfast, which I normally pass atother hotels was too good to resist. With that said, that was the ONLY positive thing about our experience. The hotel staff was unhelpful, and the room was DEPLORABLE. Had I not made the mistake of booking this for a two-night no refund special via hotwire, we would have run away! The bed was completely sunken in on the one side, right where someones middle region of their body would likely be. The refrigerator, alarm clock, and lights were all unplugged upon arrival. Being that we got their at bedtime, I decided to go downstairs and as soon as the gentleman saw me coming back down, he picked up the phone and immediately said, we only have one double bed room left sir on the phone. I got the hint. The next morning, we were told they have complementary shuttle service. Its actually a 'jitney' car service that they will call for you in the morning, but only after asking your room number to make sure you aren't checking out (see other reviews). After waiting for quite a while, the "shuttle" came. I use that term loosely. Upon coming back to the hotel after attending to our business in the city, I wanted to sit and do paperwork. Upon pulling out the chair at the desk, it was covered in various stains. You can leave your imagination as to what they were, as there were several, but I have my own views. The elevator is slow, the hallways stink of stale smoke. And to top it all off, its located in what appears to be an old orphanage building 100+ years old, with none of the charm, and across from a cemetery. We walked from the subway to the hotel the second night, its a good 20+ minute walk, and the neighborhood does appear to be pretty safe although no amenities nearby.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This hotel, like all the ones in Long Island City - offers a TON in location and proximity to lots of Sunnyside and other great, affordable restaurants. Also shares with the others: staff who don't really care one way or the other. Since this attitude prevails throughout the LIC area, none of the hotels has any incentive to improve.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Niagara Falls, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I booked this hotel for work as we were doing a job in mid-town Manhattan and it was close to where we needed to be. I realized I had made a mistake as soon as I walked in! The front desk is surrounded with bulletproof glass and the whole place is run down and dirty. The staff looked totally inconvenienced by our arrival and made little help to find parking which was virtually non existent. The rooms are dirty with the paint peeling off the walls and they have one elevator which is super slow. I was actually worried about bed bugs in this place and was getting nervous given the circumstances. I went down to the front desk the next day to tell them we were checking out early and I was greeted by a surly looking woman who actually said to me "what do you want?" when I approached the front desk. This place is miles away from the subway as well and the so called shuttle didn't leave when it was supposed to. If you walk it it will take about 1/2 an hour!! Do yourself a favor and don't stay here! Go stay in Brooklyn for less money and waaaaaay better quality hotels.

Room Tip: Give this place a miss! Go stay in Brooklyn at a nicer hotel for cheaper money and closer to the sub...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hermosillo, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

You get what you pay for. Location is out of Manhattan but still good as you may use the closest metro station (40th) that takes you all the way to Times Square in 12-15 minutes ride. Little old fashion, full breakfast, beds comfortables, all BW features we can expect from this hotel chain, clean, in a safe neighborhood, but in front a cemetery. In the downside you might think about transportation to and from the metro station, they say there is a shuttle service between hotel and metro station. As we were a party of 5 people (2 adults, 3 children) we never received this service because taxis don't ride 5 persons eventhough they are children. So, because of several reasons they refused to provide this "free transportation". My family was a little tired because of this and unless they offer a lower rate I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Please ask for a first floor room, only one elevator for the whole building
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Stone Mountain, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The combined airfare and hotel deal was great!!.However we did have a few issues. Our first room we were given had not been cleaned,the second room was filled with ants, the third room had no closets.We did end up with a decent room on the 4th fl.The staff was mostly friendly,and kudos to John the evening clerk who tried to fixed our problems right away. The breakfast was great and the free shuttle to the train was a big plus.The hotel would make a better impression if it would turn up the air in the main lobby and please sweep and clean the elevator.It stayed dirty with spilled stains on the floor for our entired week-end stay.If I had to do it again I may stay there it all depends on what the price would be.However I was in need of a place and it did fit all my needs!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth floor are better and I did not see rooms for kids activities.They may have been...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN City View Inn? Share your experiences!