“Queens is a Bargain, yet almost in Manhattan” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #22 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
United States
“Queens is a Bargain, yet almost in Manhattan”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This hotel, like all the ones in Long Island City - offers a TON in location and proximity to lots of Sunnyside and other great, affordable restaurants. Also shares with the others: staff who don't really care one way or the other. Since this attitude prevails throughout the LIC area, none of the hotels has any incentive to improve.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

230 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Niagara Falls, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I booked this hotel for work as we were doing a job in mid-town Manhattan and it was close to where we needed to be. I realized I had made a mistake as soon as I walked in! The front desk is surrounded with bulletproof glass and the whole place is run down and dirty. The staff looked totally inconvenienced by our arrival and made little help to find parking which was virtually non existent. The rooms are dirty with the paint peeling off the walls and they have one elevator which is super slow. I was actually worried about bed bugs in this place and was getting nervous given the circumstances. I went down to the front desk the next day to tell them we were checking out early and I was greeted by a surly looking woman who actually said to me "what do you want?" when I approached the front desk. This place is miles away from the subway as well and the so called shuttle didn't leave when it was supposed to. If you walk it it will take about 1/2 an hour!! Do yourself a favor and don't stay here! Go stay in Brooklyn for less money and waaaaaay better quality hotels.

Room Tip: Give this place a miss! Go stay in Brooklyn at a nicer hotel for cheaper money and closer to the sub...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hermosillo, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

You get what you pay for. Location is out of Manhattan but still good as you may use the closest metro station (40th) that takes you all the way to Times Square in 12-15 minutes ride. Little old fashion, full breakfast, beds comfortables, all BW features we can expect from this hotel chain, clean, in a safe neighborhood, but in front a cemetery. In the downside you might think about transportation to and from the metro station, they say there is a shuttle service between hotel and metro station. As we were a party of 5 people (2 adults, 3 children) we never received this service because taxis don't ride 5 persons eventhough they are children. So, because of several reasons they refused to provide this "free transportation". My family was a little tired because of this and unless they offer a lower rate I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Please ask for a first floor room, only one elevator for the whole building
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Stone Mountain, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The combined airfare and hotel deal was great!!.However we did have a few issues. Our first room we were given had not been cleaned,the second room was filled with ants, the third room had no closets.We did end up with a decent room on the 4th fl.The staff was mostly friendly,and kudos to John the evening clerk who tried to fixed our problems right away. The breakfast was great and the free shuttle to the train was a big plus.The hotel would make a better impression if it would turn up the air in the main lobby and please sweep and clean the elevator.It stayed dirty with spilled stains on the floor for our entired week-end stay.If I had to do it again I may stay there it all depends on what the price would be.However I was in need of a place and it did fit all my needs!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth floor are better and I did not see rooms for kids activities.They may have been...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My family and I checked into the BW City View hotel on Friday, July 12th and stayed for 2 nights. The rooms were big and comfortable for 4 people. The breakfast was adequate. The location is not as close as they claim it is. It is NOT walkable from the 40th/Lowery St. 7 Train. It is far and not an easy walk. They do claim to have a shuttle but it is not actually a shuttle van; it's a cab company they use to shuttle people. Even though I'm a rewards member, they would not shuttle my son who came to visit me for the day because he wasn't staying. Kind of petty.

The biggest problem here is the guest service. There wasn't any. Not one person we came in contact with smiled or said good morning or can I help you? It was like they thought we should know where everything is. The only reason we really stayed at this location was to be near the Bantry Bay Public House to attend a party.

I will say that the evening front desk guy was the only one who was remotely pleasant to speak to when spoken to. Like most everyone else, you had to initiate all conversations, questions and information.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who really wants to be in the city. But if you need to stay outside the city and want a big, clean room (and really that's part of the most important thing) then this hotel would be ok for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Latham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here 3 times in the last 2 years, its affordable and close to Brooklyn where my daughter lives.
$20 for private car service to Williamsburg.
This last time we were given a room on the 5th floor.
When we entered the room, we both laughed - it looked like a dorm room, slanted walls, small window overlooking rooftops. There was mold and peeling paint on the corners on the wall - looking like a water leak from the roof at some point that they failed to fix. (see pics)
We didn't bother asking for another room since we were only there to sleep. We had 2 very busy days out in the city.
The staff is very very helpful and nice but this room was the pits.
Just be sure to check out your room before unpacking.

Room Tip: Choose 2,3,4 floor and view the room before settling in.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN City View Inn? Share your experiences!