“Not bad for the price!!” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #21 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Stone Mountain, Georgia
“Not bad for the price!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The combined airfare and hotel deal was great!!.However we did have a few issues. Our first room we were given had not been cleaned,the second room was filled with ants, the third room had no closets.We did end up with a decent room on the 4th fl.The staff was mostly friendly,and kudos to John the evening clerk who tried to fixed our problems right away. The breakfast was great and the free shuttle to the train was a big plus.The hotel would make a better impression if it would turn up the air in the main lobby and please sweep and clean the elevator.It stayed dirty with spilled stains on the floor for our entired week-end stay.If I had to do it again I may stay there it all depends on what the price would be.However I was in need of a place and it did fit all my needs!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth floor are better and I did not see rooms for kids activities.They may have been...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

231 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My family and I checked into the BW City View hotel on Friday, July 12th and stayed for 2 nights. The rooms were big and comfortable for 4 people. The breakfast was adequate. The location is not as close as they claim it is. It is NOT walkable from the 40th/Lowery St. 7 Train. It is far and not an easy walk. They do claim to have a shuttle but it is not actually a shuttle van; it's a cab company they use to shuttle people. Even though I'm a rewards member, they would not shuttle my son who came to visit me for the day because he wasn't staying. Kind of petty.

The biggest problem here is the guest service. There wasn't any. Not one person we came in contact with smiled or said good morning or can I help you? It was like they thought we should know where everything is. The only reason we really stayed at this location was to be near the Bantry Bay Public House to attend a party.

I will say that the evening front desk guy was the only one who was remotely pleasant to speak to when spoken to. Like most everyone else, you had to initiate all conversations, questions and information.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who really wants to be in the city. But if you need to stay outside the city and want a big, clean room (and really that's part of the most important thing) then this hotel would be ok for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Latham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here 3 times in the last 2 years, its affordable and close to Brooklyn where my daughter lives.
$20 for private car service to Williamsburg.
This last time we were given a room on the 5th floor.
When we entered the room, we both laughed - it looked like a dorm room, slanted walls, small window overlooking rooftops. There was mold and peeling paint on the corners on the wall - looking like a water leak from the roof at some point that they failed to fix. (see pics)
We didn't bother asking for another room since we were only there to sleep. We had 2 very busy days out in the city.
The staff is very very helpful and nice but this room was the pits.
Just be sure to check out your room before unpacking.

Room Tip: Choose 2,3,4 floor and view the room before settling in.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Unsure what to expect after reading mixed reviews here. Arrived and was told that we had a free upgrade due to the duration of our stay for free. Was really impressed with our king size room. Nicely decorated and fresh looking, superb views too.

The area is mainly industrial, we found it safe to walk at night although not many places to buy food after 8pm. The subway wasn't too far to walk, used the shuttle once, and ordered it for a set time so no need to wait.

The complimentary breakfast was excellent, with coffee machine and fridge in the room. We loved that we had a microwave too which was really handy.

We had an issue with our travel agent, which the reception staff sorted for us quickly and efficiently. The staff were very friendly and helpful, rooms clean and comfy.

Would definitely choose this hotel again if I come back to New York.

Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We took an overnight trip to NYC and wanted a hotel that was conveniently located to where we were going and had at least basic amenities. I wasn't expecting a five star hotel.

The good: the location, for one. If you need to take the subway, I can see how it'd be a problem but since we drove everywhere, it worked out great. We were in close proximity to all of our destinations. The breakfast was very good--well, the coffee was so-so but everything else was fine. The staff weren't overly friendly but they were professional. The room was adequate in terms of amenities. It's always useful to have a refrigerator and the wireless internet worked perfectly. The bed was reasonably comfortable.

The bad: the parking lot is very difficult to maneuver around in. I'm grateful it's free and space is limited but I was worried I was going to back into the wall. And the other complaint is our "non-smoking" room reeked of stale smoke. Finally, the elevator is RIDICULOUSLY slow. I know it's an older building but it should be updated, if possible.

All in all, it served the purpose and was OK for one night but I wouldn't want to stay any longer than that.

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Good News:

Room 4/5
The room was big, clean, and the A/C worked and wasn't too noisy. Included was both an empty fridge and a micro-wave, as well as a new coffee maker and a fully stocked coffee/tea tray. Very nice. The bed was firm, the pillows new. Considering we're talking New York, or at least NY adjacent, very good value for your money.

Very nice multi-national clientele. French, German, Indian - lots of interesting people from interesting places.

Great breakfast: bagels, croissants, donuts, do it yourself waffles, juice, hard boiled eggs, cold cereal. Unexpectedly good for a hotel of this class.

Bad News.

When you arrive the first thing you'll notice is the reek of old cigarettes and the thick bullet proof glass around the receptionist. In the hallways the cigarette smell is much stronger, though in the room there was none at all.

The alarm clock was broken and there was no light bulb in the lamp by the bed. In three days neither of these things were fixed. There was no hot water, but plenty of warm water.

The nearest subway (line 7) is a 20+ minute walk away, and taxis never, NEVER, pass by. The neighborhood is grim. Transmission shops, medical supply stores, gas stations, and the Long Island Expressway. The enormous graveyard across the street was weirdly engaging, especially for Tim Burton fans.

The hotel management is client hostile.
- They will tell you it's a ten minute walk to the subway. It's a ten minute job if you're in good shape.
- They'll tell you they have a free shuttle to the subway, that is on demand with a five minute wait. When you actually need it, it "just left, you just missed it." and it will be back in twenty or thirty minutes. In reality, I waited nearly an hour before giving up. I never saw the shuttle in three days at the hotel.
- DO NOT try to use the shuttle on your last day at the hotel. It is for guests ONLY, and even the morning of your last day (checkout time noon) it is NOT available to you. (If it ever actually shows up. It must, right? My timing was just bad luck, I'm sure.)
- The will tell you they have called a cab for you. Actually, they will call a town car. That means 2x or 3x the cost, if they will even take you. The town car they called for us refused to take us because our trip was too short.

BOTTOM LINE

New York is expensive and you can save money staying here. The rooms are good, even if the location is challenging. If you don't ask reception for anything, and don't mind walking a little, you can have a good stay here and save some money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN City View Inn? Share your experiences!