“Comfortable room, service is sketchy” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Long Island City
Florida
“Comfortable room, service is sketchy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

My family and I checked into the BW City View hotel on Friday, July 12th and stayed for 2 nights. The rooms were big and comfortable for 4 people. The breakfast was adequate. The location is not as close as they claim it is. It is NOT walkable from the 40th/Lowery St. 7 Train. It is far and not an easy walk. They do claim to have a shuttle but it is not actually a shuttle van; it's a cab company they use to shuttle people. Even though I'm a rewards member, they would not shuttle my son who came to visit me for the day because he wasn't staying. Kind of petty.

The biggest problem here is the guest service. There wasn't any. Not one person we came in contact with smiled or said good morning or can I help you? It was like they thought we should know where everything is. The only reason we really stayed at this location was to be near the Bantry Bay Public House to attend a party.

I will say that the evening front desk guy was the only one who was remotely pleasant to speak to when spoken to. Like most everyone else, you had to initiate all conversations, questions and information.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who really wants to be in the city. But if you need to stay outside the city and want a big, clean room (and really that's part of the most important thing) then this hotel would be ok for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Latham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here 3 times in the last 2 years, its affordable and close to Brooklyn where my daughter lives.
$20 for private car service to Williamsburg.
This last time we were given a room on the 5th floor.
When we entered the room, we both laughed - it looked like a dorm room, slanted walls, small window overlooking rooftops. There was mold and peeling paint on the corners on the wall - looking like a water leak from the roof at some point that they failed to fix. (see pics)
We didn't bother asking for another room since we were only there to sleep. We had 2 very busy days out in the city.
The staff is very very helpful and nice but this room was the pits.
Just be sure to check out your room before unpacking.

Room Tip: Choose 2,3,4 floor and view the room before settling in.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Unsure what to expect after reading mixed reviews here. Arrived and was told that we had a free upgrade due to the duration of our stay for free. Was really impressed with our king size room. Nicely decorated and fresh looking, superb views too.

The area is mainly industrial, we found it safe to walk at night although not many places to buy food after 8pm. The subway wasn't too far to walk, used the shuttle once, and ordered it for a set time so no need to wait.

The complimentary breakfast was excellent, with coffee machine and fridge in the room. We loved that we had a microwave too which was really handy.

We had an issue with our travel agent, which the reception staff sorted for us quickly and efficiently. The staff were very friendly and helpful, rooms clean and comfy.

Would definitely choose this hotel again if I come back to New York.

Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We took an overnight trip to NYC and wanted a hotel that was conveniently located to where we were going and had at least basic amenities. I wasn't expecting a five star hotel.

The good: the location, for one. If you need to take the subway, I can see how it'd be a problem but since we drove everywhere, it worked out great. We were in close proximity to all of our destinations. The breakfast was very good--well, the coffee was so-so but everything else was fine. The staff weren't overly friendly but they were professional. The room was adequate in terms of amenities. It's always useful to have a refrigerator and the wireless internet worked perfectly. The bed was reasonably comfortable.

The bad: the parking lot is very difficult to maneuver around in. I'm grateful it's free and space is limited but I was worried I was going to back into the wall. And the other complaint is our "non-smoking" room reeked of stale smoke. Finally, the elevator is RIDICULOUSLY slow. I know it's an older building but it should be updated, if possible.

All in all, it served the purpose and was OK for one night but I wouldn't want to stay any longer than that.

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Good News:

Room 4/5
The room was big, clean, and the A/C worked and wasn't too noisy. Included was both an empty fridge and a micro-wave, as well as a new coffee maker and a fully stocked coffee/tea tray. Very nice. The bed was firm, the pillows new. Considering we're talking New York, or at least NY adjacent, very good value for your money.

Very nice multi-national clientele. French, German, Indian - lots of interesting people from interesting places.

Great breakfast: bagels, croissants, donuts, do it yourself waffles, juice, hard boiled eggs, cold cereal. Unexpectedly good for a hotel of this class.

Bad News.

When you arrive the first thing you'll notice is the reek of old cigarettes and the thick bullet proof glass around the receptionist. In the hallways the cigarette smell is much stronger, though in the room there was none at all.

The alarm clock was broken and there was no light bulb in the lamp by the bed. In three days neither of these things were fixed. There was no hot water, but plenty of warm water.

The nearest subway (line 7) is a 20+ minute walk away, and taxis never, NEVER, pass by. The neighborhood is grim. Transmission shops, medical supply stores, gas stations, and the Long Island Expressway. The enormous graveyard across the street was weirdly engaging, especially for Tim Burton fans.

The hotel management is client hostile.
- They will tell you it's a ten minute walk to the subway. It's a ten minute job if you're in good shape.
- They'll tell you they have a free shuttle to the subway, that is on demand with a five minute wait. When you actually need it, it "just left, you just missed it." and it will be back in twenty or thirty minutes. In reality, I waited nearly an hour before giving up. I never saw the shuttle in three days at the hotel.
- DO NOT try to use the shuttle on your last day at the hotel. It is for guests ONLY, and even the morning of your last day (checkout time noon) it is NOT available to you. (If it ever actually shows up. It must, right? My timing was just bad luck, I'm sure.)
- The will tell you they have called a cab for you. Actually, they will call a town car. That means 2x or 3x the cost, if they will even take you. The town car they called for us refused to take us because our trip was too short.

BOTTOM LINE

New York is expensive and you can save money staying here. The rooms are good, even if the location is challenging. If you don't ask reception for anything, and don't mind walking a little, you can have a good stay here and save some money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We decided take our 2 kids to NY for Spring break. We decided to find an affordable hotel that was close to Manhattan. We have stayed at a few Best Westerns and they were ok. We read the reviews of this hotel and we thought it would not be bad. We arrived to the hotel at 2:00 a.m and let me tell you... we were extremely disappointed when we saw it...It was VERY dark outside and the building is very old. (I think it used to be and old school or something) OMG When my son saw the building he kept asking Mommy is this the hotel? (My daughter wouldn't even allow me to answer) she kept responding to him no, that's a house!
We were already there so there was nothing we could do at that point!

The Staff:
When we arrived we were warmly greeted by one of their male front desk staff members.
(The male Front Desk were a lot nicer to my husband and I than the female ones).
The female Front Desk attendants were VERY mean and disrespectful so were the Breakfast staff members. ALL (front desk, breakfast staff, housekeepers) of the female staff were mean, miserable and short. Would not look at us when they spoke and acted like we bothered them when asked questions. One of them (I think her name is Mena am not sure) was so rude and disrespectful that when my husband requested a final receipt she responded that we could print it out online. We travel very often and never had we been so disrespected by hotel staff.

The rooms:
The rooms are outdated have old looking, yellowish wall paper. The good thing is that they are spacious and clean.

Beds:
Not too comfortable and to make things worst it was 30 degrees in New York that night and they only had regular sheets on the beds, when we requested some quilts from the Front Desk we were told that they did not have any at the time. Long story short we ended up having to sleep in long johns and sweaters that night.

The bathroom:
Nice and clean.

Breakfast:
Regular complimentary continental breakfast (mean staff).

Shuttle:
Complementary-reliable

Cabs:
Yellow cabs are very hard to come by and rarely stop in that area. We had to call one of their subcontracted cabs once and they charged us $35 to Manhattan.

Elevator:
Super slow.

Neighborhood:
Not too clean and we did not feel safe.

Parking:
Complimentary but tight

Internet:
Good

The main reason why we will never go back to this hotel is because of the mean women staff, especially that Font Desk lady I mentioned before. We value customer service and unfortunately this people give Best Western a bad name.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN City View Inn? Share your experiences!