“Just OK” 3 of 5 stars

Earn a $50 Gift Card
Niantic, Connecticut
“Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

When I saw in the hotel description that this was a repurposed school, I was hoping for a room with a little more character. On the outside, the building looks architecturally interesting, but inside, it houses some of the most generic, boring hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. Carpet, curtains, and bed linens are dated. 37" flat screen on the wall is fed with fuzzy analog cable with spotty service. Internet strength is weak. Parking is scarce. Neighborhood is sketchy, which you will quickly realize when you walk up to the front desk surrounded by bulletproof glass. Housekeeping was just OK. I had no issues checking in (and as a Best Western Diamond Elite member I would be very unhappy if I did) but the few times I walked through the lobby, each time I heard people trying to check in and the front desk clerk arguing with them about whether or not they had valid reservations. Overall, a marginally acceptable alternative to the high rates in NYC, but I'm not sure I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

216 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Hotels in New York City are quite expensive, but this hotel is value its money. You can reach the city quite easily by metro. The neighbourhood is ok, we felt save, but there is not much to see there. The hotel rooms were a bit old but clean. But who stays in the hotel room when visiting New York City?

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
PHILADELPHIA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I'm a seasoned traveler who has never stayed overnight in New York. I was there on business one of many female engineers. My company made the reservations for me and some of you know that can be scary. But I was throughly pleased upon my arrival. As I was approching the hotel on Greenpoint I felt a calmness, The building looked very quiet a little nostalgic like an old coverted convent Very nice. My check-in experience was very nice front desk personel very pleasant the lobby was clean and fresh smelling. My room oh boy very very nice. I do a white sock test on the carpets and they were still clean by the time I went to bed they get a triple AAA for that one. the jucuzzi nice touch bathroom small but the jucuzzi made up for that, flat screen TV a little fuzzzy on a few channels but it was a flat screen microwave 2 fridges wi-fi nice closet space good, plenty of chairs table, view from 3rd floor side entrance picture perfect and the bed very comfortable Staff very nice Didn't get to do breakfast woke up to late. I will surely stay here again the price is right and I felt safe Highly Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Stay in rooms on the odd side low numbers there is a view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel with my friend and brother. we stayed in a large twin room with double beds for 5 nights.

The room was good, clean (except underneath the beds), had 2 fridges in it, a safe, plenty of storage, tea and coffee making facilities, which were in a tray in the bathroom, which we didn't mind, the room also had a tiny view of Manhattan(it was overlooking the back of the hotel).

The hotel offered a continental breakfast, served between 7 to 9 am, which was very early for us, but it was a good thing as it helped us to wake up early and take advantage of our short stay in New York. The breakfast consists of coffee, tea, bread, scrambled eggs, doughnuts, cheese, yoghurt, some fruits, butter, waffles and an appliance to make them, and apple and orange juice.

The hotel is about 15 minutes walk from the nearest station, but the hotel offers a shuttle every half an hour, you can use it just once a day, but usually you have to wait longer as most people queue for it, so we were walking to the station most of the time. The nightmare was when there were weekend works at the nearest station and we had to walk all the way to a further one Queens Plaza, which was half an hour away. But once you make it to the station, Manhattan is only few minutes away :)

The area is really quiet, there is nothing to do around, except if you like visiting old cemeteries. The hotel itself faces one called Calvary Cemetery, but if you take a bus towards Brooklyn, you will be amazed by how many cemeteries you find!!! Each has a different architecture. But I found the one nearby the hotel the most special.

The hotel is an industrial area, we walked around in mornings, late nights... I would say that it is safe.

The staff at the hotel are friendly, the cleaners, the ones at the breakfast section...
The reception staff are ok, one of them had a strange vibe and asking her about something seemed like a disturbance to her, I don't remember her name but she was looked Asian (India, Bangladesh..).
When we checked in, the receptionist (a male) did not tell us anything about the shuttle or breakfast, we had to ask...

There is just one lift for the whole building, and it takes so long... We were in the 4th floor.

The breakfast area can be crowded, sometimes you have to wait for a table, but you can take your breakfast to your room.

Above all, I would recommend this place, and I would probably stay in it again if I am part of a group or driving. It is a good value for what you pay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Charleston, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I made a reservation and of course they want a credit card number to reserve it. 5 days later I opted to stay a another Best Western so I canceled the reservation.Well some one at the hotel decided to keep my credit card number and charged me for a room that was not even the date of my original reservation.BEWARE OF THIS HOTEL DO NOT GIVE ANY INFORMATION TO THEM. Also the maniger refused to talk to me or return my phone calls. My bank is curently investigating them for credit card fraud.

Room Tip: I dont know I never stayed there.
Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to BEST WESTERN City View Inn? Share your experiences!