“Out of the city, but affordable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of City View Inn

You added City View Inn to your Saves list
City View Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33-17 Greenpoint Avenue, Long Island City, NY 11101 (Formerly BEST WESTERN City View Inn)   |
Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
Munich, Germany
“Out of the city, but affordable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Hotels in New York City are quite expensive, but this hotel is value its money. You can reach the city quite easily by metro. The neighbourhood is ok, we felt save, but there is not much to see there. The hotel rooms were a bit old but clean. But who stays in the hotel room when visiting New York City?

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
PHILADELPHIA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I'm a seasoned traveler who has never stayed overnight in New York. I was there on business one of many female engineers. My company made the reservations for me and some of you know that can be scary. But I was throughly pleased upon my arrival. As I was approching the hotel on Greenpoint I felt a calmness, The building looked very quiet a little nostalgic like an old coverted convent Very nice. My check-in experience was very nice front desk personel very pleasant the lobby was clean and fresh smelling. My room oh boy very very nice. I do a white sock test on the carpets and they were still clean by the time I went to bed they get a triple AAA for that one. the jucuzzi nice touch bathroom small but the jucuzzi made up for that, flat screen TV a little fuzzzy on a few channels but it was a flat screen microwave 2 fridges wi-fi nice closet space good, plenty of chairs table, view from 3rd floor side entrance picture perfect and the bed very comfortable Staff very nice Didn't get to do breakfast woke up to late. I will surely stay here again the price is right and I felt safe Highly Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Stay in rooms on the odd side low numbers there is a view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel with my friend and brother. we stayed in a large twin room with double beds for 5 nights.

The room was good, clean (except underneath the beds), had 2 fridges in it, a safe, plenty of storage, tea and coffee making facilities, which were in a tray in the bathroom, which we didn't mind, the room also had a tiny view of Manhattan(it was overlooking the back of the hotel).

The hotel offered a continental breakfast, served between 7 to 9 am, which was very early for us, but it was a good thing as it helped us to wake up early and take advantage of our short stay in New York. The breakfast consists of coffee, tea, bread, scrambled eggs, doughnuts, cheese, yoghurt, some fruits, butter, waffles and an appliance to make them, and apple and orange juice.

The hotel is about 15 minutes walk from the nearest station, but the hotel offers a shuttle every half an hour, you can use it just once a day, but usually you have to wait longer as most people queue for it, so we were walking to the station most of the time. The nightmare was when there were weekend works at the nearest station and we had to walk all the way to a further one Queens Plaza, which was half an hour away. But once you make it to the station, Manhattan is only few minutes away :)

The area is really quiet, there is nothing to do around, except if you like visiting old cemeteries. The hotel itself faces one called Calvary Cemetery, but if you take a bus towards Brooklyn, you will be amazed by how many cemeteries you find!!! Each has a different architecture. But I found the one nearby the hotel the most special.

The hotel is an industrial area, we walked around in mornings, late nights... I would say that it is safe.

The staff at the hotel are friendly, the cleaners, the ones at the breakfast section...
The reception staff are ok, one of them had a strange vibe and asking her about something seemed like a disturbance to her, I don't remember her name but she was looked Asian (India, Bangladesh..).
When we checked in, the receptionist (a male) did not tell us anything about the shuttle or breakfast, we had to ask...

There is just one lift for the whole building, and it takes so long... We were in the 4th floor.

The breakfast area can be crowded, sometimes you have to wait for a table, but you can take your breakfast to your room.

Above all, I would recommend this place, and I would probably stay in it again if I am part of a group or driving. It is a good value for what you pay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Titusville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I made a reservation and of course they want a credit card number to reserve it. 5 days later I opted to stay a another Best Western so I canceled the reservation.Well some one at the hotel decided to keep my credit card number and charged me for a room that was not even the date of my original reservation.BEWARE OF THIS HOTEL DO NOT GIVE ANY INFORMATION TO THEM. Also the maniger refused to talk to me or return my phone calls. My bank is curently investigating them for credit card fraud.

Room Tip: I dont know I never stayed there.
Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The name of the hotel is very adequte to the reality. You go to sleep and You see Empire State Building, when you get up in the morning and You see lower Manhatan.
It is real nice.
Transportation takes a bit from the Manhatan, but the metro "7" goes diractly from Times Square to the Greenpoint Avenue, and then you can take a bus /only 2 per hour/ or walk 15 min.
The hotel sees as it should be the 4star, but it is needed renovation.
Rooms are not perfect clean but is ok.
Breakfest is not bad compare to other places

Room Tip: ask form the manhatan view to the south
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Varese, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The hotel is located in the suburbs of Long Island City and it is approximately 1 km far from the metro station, so if you come back late at night you have to take a taxi from the metro station to the hotel (and maybe you also have to tell the way to the taxi driver because he doesn't know where to drive you). The rooms are quite big, but not very clean, the beds are uncomfortable and there is always a smell of smoke in the room, in the elevator and in the hall. The wifi doesn't work when you're in the room, it only works in the hall and in the breakfast room. The breakfast in ok. The staff is not very kind. The good things are the view (if you have a room on the western side), from our room we could see the skyline of Manhattan and the free shuttle that, once a day, drives you to the metro station.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room on the third or fourth floor and on the western side so that you can enj...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends