“scamed” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Charleston, West Virginia
“scamed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I made a reservation and of course they want a credit card number to reserve it. 5 days later I opted to stay a another Best Western so I canceled the reservation.Well some one at the hotel decided to keep my credit card number and charged me for a room that was not even the date of my original reservation.BEWARE OF THIS HOTEL DO NOT GIVE ANY INFORMATION TO THEM. Also the maniger refused to talk to me or return my phone calls. My bank is curently investigating them for credit card fraud.

Room Tip: I dont know I never stayed there.
Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

212 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

The name of the hotel is very adequte to the reality. You go to sleep and You see Empire State Building, when you get up in the morning and You see lower Manhatan.
It is real nice.
Transportation takes a bit from the Manhatan, but the metro "7" goes diractly from Times Square to the Greenpoint Avenue, and then you can take a bus /only 2 per hour/ or walk 15 min.
The hotel sees as it should be the 4star, but it is needed renovation.
Rooms are not perfect clean but is ok.
Breakfest is not bad compare to other places

Room Tip: ask form the manhatan view to the south
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Varese, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The hotel is located in the suburbs of Long Island City and it is approximately 1 km far from the metro station, so if you come back late at night you have to take a taxi from the metro station to the hotel (and maybe you also have to tell the way to the taxi driver because he doesn't know where to drive you). The rooms are quite big, but not very clean, the beds are uncomfortable and there is always a smell of smoke in the room, in the elevator and in the hall. The wifi doesn't work when you're in the room, it only works in the hall and in the breakfast room. The breakfast in ok. The staff is not very kind. The good things are the view (if you have a room on the western side), from our room we could see the skyline of Manhattan and the free shuttle that, once a day, drives you to the metro station.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room on the third or fourth floor and on the western side so that you can enj...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Lithuania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed in this hotel at the end of our 2,5 week long trip in USA. Actually considering the hotel name we expected a better one. We booked three double nonsmoking rooms in advance, but two of them we got with a strong smoker smell… our friends could change the rooms only next day.
Breakfast is not plenty but enough to start a day in NY. The hotel staff seemed lazy and didn’t show any effort to refill breakfast menu.
The hotel is approximately 15 min. on foot from the metro station. But if you will not walk you can order a transfer at reception. They do it for free. The hotel location is quite good, only 20 min. from Time Square (one change needed)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
baie comeau
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

the front desk clerk was so rude my wife was almost scared, a tall black guy with no manners at all, room are terribles. just dont go there, spend m,ore and go in a better hotel. i hope best western will take care of the problems in this hotel or their name might suffer from it

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

I thought the bulletproof glass surrounding the front desk said something about the neighborhood. But after dealing with the staff, it is more likely they have been shot at by guests, who were tired of being forced to deal with these jerks.
I have never seen, or even heard of, such a ridiculous staff in all my life. I swear I though I was on a hidden camera show, and someone was going to pop out with a microphone any minute, to tell me everything was a joke.
They lost our room reservation, and tried to double charge us fir a pos room that smelled like an ash tray, and broken dreams. I went back down to the lobby, and said we weren't going to stay in that room, and John at the desk said... "So what do you want?" I said, a refund, and a taxi. At 1am we had to book a new hotel using our phones. Take another $50 cab ride across town.
It eventually took over one month to get all our money back, because they tried to keep the money for the first night as a penalty... (for not having the room we reserved two months in advance.)
After 9 separate conversations, between three different staff members, over 37 days, who were all condescending, rude, arrogant, unhelpful, deaf, blind, and all seemed to have brain damage of some sort. (Manager Bibi, Manager Muhammad, Staff member John) I wanted to hang myself out of frustration. I couldn't care less about the money. I just didn't want one dime to go to that business.
I eventually got my money back, and although I am sure it wasn't the fault of Best Western the franchise, it is their responsibility to police and protect their brand, and at the very least, to know who they employ. And a room full of monkeys throwing poo and rotten fruit would make a more helpful and hospitable staff than those pricks. So I will never stay at a Best Western again, for as long as I live.
Thank you for reading, I hope you find a better hotel, that isn't this one.

• Stayed September 2012
Ramat Gan, Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Very bad hotel with bad location, next to a cemetery!!!!!!
Very scary to walk at night in the neighborhood,
There were bed bugs and now my whole family is sick and with allergy.
The hotel is not good at all, do not go there!
Better to pay more money and sleep in Manhattan

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN City View Inn? Share your experiences!