“almost scary” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
baie comeau
“almost scary”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

the front desk clerk was so rude my wife was almost scared, a tall black guy with no manners at all, room are terribles. just dont go there, spend m,ore and go in a better hotel. i hope best western will take care of the problems in this hotel or their name might suffer from it

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

231 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

I thought the bulletproof glass surrounding the front desk said something about the neighborhood. But after dealing with the staff, it is more likely they have been shot at by guests, who were tired of being forced to deal with these jerks.
I have never seen, or even heard of, such a ridiculous staff in all my life. I swear I though I was on a hidden camera show, and someone was going to pop out with a microphone any minute, to tell me everything was a joke.
They lost our room reservation, and tried to double charge us fir a pos room that smelled like an ash tray, and broken dreams. I went back down to the lobby, and said we weren't going to stay in that room, and John at the desk said... "So what do you want?" I said, a refund, and a taxi. At 1am we had to book a new hotel using our phones. Take another $50 cab ride across town.
It eventually took over one month to get all our money back, because they tried to keep the money for the first night as a penalty... (for not having the room we reserved two months in advance.)
After 9 separate conversations, between three different staff members, over 37 days, who were all condescending, rude, arrogant, unhelpful, deaf, blind, and all seemed to have brain damage of some sort. (Manager Bibi, Manager Muhammad, Staff member John) I wanted to hang myself out of frustration. I couldn't care less about the money. I just didn't want one dime to go to that business.
I eventually got my money back, and although I am sure it wasn't the fault of Best Western the franchise, it is their responsibility to police and protect their brand, and at the very least, to know who they employ. And a room full of monkeys throwing poo and rotten fruit would make a more helpful and hospitable staff than those pricks. So I will never stay at a Best Western again, for as long as I live.
Thank you for reading, I hope you find a better hotel, that isn't this one.

• Stayed September 2012
Ramat Gan, Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Very bad hotel with bad location, next to a cemetery!!!!!!
Very scary to walk at night in the neighborhood,
There were bed bugs and now my whole family is sick and with allergy.
The hotel is not good at all, do not go there!
Better to pay more money and sleep in Manhattan

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Maribor, Slovenia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Me and my wife have been here for 4 days, and in generaly there is nothning really wrong with hotel. You can not get better hotel for such a solid price.

Pros:
Solid price for NY
average breakfast,
free shuttle BUT only once a day in only one direction!!!
friendly stuff,
15 min walk to nearest metro station

Cons:
- After very long flight we were exausted....at 3-4 am receptionist waked up us with the telephone telling us that there is a car service waiting for us....we must convinsed him that it is misunderstanding and we did not order anything....however he waked up us...
-Spooky district...we rather took a taxi to metro than walk even at day,
-room smelled on cigaretes....even that we reserved nonsmoking room
-a drank woman start screaming very lound at 3am in the reception, but...receptionist did not stoped her at all...
- you can hear almost everything through the walls
- restaurant should be 5 times larger...we were eating in the room

Room Tip: rooms near reception and restaurant are very lound
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Crema, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Surely not the best hotel in town, surely not in the best location, surely not to spoil someone BUT it's a cheap and ok hotel for one/two nights stay if you are not scared of being in front of a cemetery (added value the neighbors are quite).
Having said so, lobby staff have been very kind and will to help, the room was not small, clean and the breakfast good.
Furthermore, it tooks only 15 mins by taxi to go to Times square and the subway could be reached on foot in 10-15 mins.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Some of the reviews made me very concerned when I reserved a room through Hotwire. But my experiences were very positive. It is an inexpensive hotel, but the breakfast was good, the computer center had a printer, the room was clean and the walk to the subway seemed safe. It was less than a mile and a shuttle ran during the day. If you are expecting the Hilton, you will be disappointed. If you are expecting an inexpensive hotel in an expensive city, you should be satisfied.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

We came from italy,a friend of mine booked this hotel wich was the worst I ve ever been to,and I traeled a lot.
The neigborhood is really really bad,the staff of the hotel is rude (plus once I didn t understand a sentence over the phone and the guy started screaming),the rooms are ok but the door didn t locked well...
Yeah but the worst thing is the neighborhood. Just,really,don't go!!!

• Stayed December 2011

Been to BEST WESTERN City View Inn? Share your experiences!