It's a travel inn, and as such, this hotel has absolutely no glamour, and no sophisticated service in dining or reception.
But you do get:
*A good price compared to Manhattan
*A very spacious room compared to Manhattan, with views of midtown two or three miles away
*Clean and functional facilities, albeit a little bit knocked about in places
*A hot and cold buffet breakfast
*A running machine or two, vending and ice machines, and free internet access in reception
*A shuttle bus to and from the subway, followed then by a 20 minute ride into Grand Central Station
What you may not enjoy:
*Breakfast self service on paper plates with plastic knives. So it feels cheap but you do get used to it. There was plenty to eat, though the same every day, and nice touches were fresh fancy doughnuts and a DIY waffle iron (which became fun in itself).
*Shuttle service to the subway was a bit hit and miss. It was often right there, and you can call the hotel to arrange it to pick you up from the station anytime day or night too. But sometimes it was being used on airport runs so you had to wait a considerable time. As an alternative, a bus route outside the hotel will take you in 10 minutes to the same subway line, but a station or two further from Manhattan. The hotel seem keen to promote the use of the shuttle bus and did not advertise the public bus at all, but it's there. Walking is an option, of course, but takes at the very least 20 minutes through the shortest residential routes and we were advised by the hotel to avoid cutting through industrial areas nearby, especially at night. The residential streets felt perfectly safe, however.
Guests were of all ages, mainly tourists, with a few workmen mixed in. There was no disturbance at night and the aircon, though a bit noisy, coped with the steamy heat.
So there it is, a perfectly acceptable means to an end if you are visiting NYC on a budget. Maybe save the money on luxuries and splash out the sights instead?
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Otel so you can book your BEST WESTERN City View Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western City View Hotel Long Island City
- Best Western Long Island City
- Long Island City Best Western
- BEST WESTERN City View Inn Long Island City, New York