“Comfortable Hotel in ideal location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
UNITED KINGDOM
“Comfortable Hotel in ideal location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

We have just returned from a 5 night trip to NY for my husbands 40th. I booked a room with a King Size bed and paid an extra £40. This was well worth it, the beds and pillows were so comfortable, we had 5 great nights sleep. You also get complimentary breakfast so the bagels and donuts set you up nicely in the morning. The hotel is a couple of minutes walk to the Subway which takes 10 - 15mins into Times Square and are every 5mins. It is well worth paying for the 7 day unlimited subway ticket for $27 as soon as you arrive at the airport subway., you'll save a fortune.
The area where the hotel is situated does look very run down but it is perfectly safe. There is a coffee shop that sells all sorts right at the subway which is so convenient. There's also a Brazilian /bar around the corner which at first we thought against trying it out but on the last day we were pleasantly surprised and wished we'd have gone sooner. The Staff are very friendly and food and drink prices mush cheaper than in Manhattan.
We went to see the Lion King show which was fabulous and Shrek Forever at the cinema on 3D which I'd highly recommend. Probably best to get tickets for the shows out there as I ended up paying on Broadway.com and paying over the odds but it was memorial weekend. The weather was great, in its 70's most days but can get a little cool at night. Take the free Staten Island ferry as you get great views of the Statue of Liberty. We had an amazing time and can recommend this hotel for its comfort and location.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
United kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

Tidy and clean hotel for those that want to be near Manhattan but not pay the exhorbitant prices currently being charged.

The rooms were clean, the staff helpful and although the breakfast wasnt great it was OK .

Hotel is about 200 metres from the Subway and about 10-15 minutes into Times Square, good subway access from both JFK & La Guardia.

Only downside was it was a bit noisy, but then again it is new york

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

Arrived May 14, 2010... stayed in room 602 (i think). We didn't get 1 hour of sleep all night. The bed was hard and the pillows were awful!! There is a taxi service behind the hotel. All night.... every 15 minutes or so, a male kept making announcements over a loud speaker. **we actually thought there was construction going on all night. This went on until we heard... "that's a wrap" around 5am. We thought... "finally, we might get a few hours to sleep. Then the sun started to come up around 5:15am. The sun came directly in our room. Our room did not have thick curtains to block light. It only had the sheer white strips that are see-through.
I went down to the lobby at 5:30am to report this. The attendant on duty stated... we could check out if we like and he wouldn't charge us a cancellation fee. GREAT... but EVERY HOTEL in the surrounding area was soldout. (i did the research already.) **I'm sure he wanted us to leave because they were oversold as well - which would open a room and make it easier for the 2nd shift instead of having to walk a reservation. I left my name and phone number and told him to have the general manager call me. He stated... "he's not going to do anything. We can't control what goes on outside." This was the most shocking response! To EVER say this to a visitor is unacceptable. If he isn't allowed to make decisions to change rates, offer another room when others check out, find us a new hotel (which would be going above and beyond) ... then he should never make a statement like that. I went back to the room, laid down on the bed and covered my head with the pillow. Our day for wake up early to get in line for standby tickets to see SNL - ruined!! We were too tired to go anywhere. We were exhausted when we went to the Yankee's Game. Our whole Saturday was completely ruined!! On Sunday when I was checking out... a new attendant asked how our stay was. I told him the story. He apologized and stated he would have the general manager call me. I still havent recieved that phone call. However, Quality Inn sent me a comment card email today. I've never wrote a report for trip advisor, but I've never been treated so unprofessionally either. I told them... if I didn't hear from the general manager - or if they didn't make it right... I would tell about my experience. I have pictures too!! ***Complimentary parking is offered on the website... when we got there - we were told there was no comp. parking lot. We had to park on the street. **i will add my pictures tomorrow.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

First cant belive to get hotel in such a good rate near to manhatten ,,,,,staff is very helpful and rooms are clean ,,,travel lot and seen many hotels but ,,,this best for price in new york,,,

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
SF bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

We booked our trip to NY in the last minute and our plan was to stay outdoors most of the time. Quality inn fit our bill very well - it was close to the subway (5 min walk) and about 10 min subway ride away from downtown manhattan. The service was great - we arrived at the hotel long before the check in time and the staff was very friendly and they tried to accommodate us as quickly as they could. The breakfast was decent. And about 3 blocks away, we could find lots of places to eat. Although this is not the best looking location, it was very convenient for our purpose and well within our budget. The rooms weren't perfect - there was a musty smell probably coz of the incessent rains in NY the week before. But, I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to have fun in NY by being outdoors and do not want to spend big bucks on heavy hotels in the downtown. Being close to the subway is all that matters in NY. :)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Rolla, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

I had a little trouble finding the place, but, once I figured out where it was, it turned out to be less than a 4 minute walk from the Queens Plaza subway station. If you take the subway exit labeled "Northern Boulevard and Queens Boulevard North", you'll be walking in the right direction on the right street. Go about three blocks and turn left on 40th Ave. (not Rd.).

I was very disappointed by the breakfast (no eggs, waffles, toaster, or cappuccino machine), and the TV lineup had some odd omissions (such as NBC), but everything else was fine. The bed was comfortable, the water temperature and pressure were fine, and everything else was in working order. The vending is very limited (no diet soda that I could find) and there didn't seem to be a convenience store nearby so come with provisions if you think you'll need them. There is a public-use computer near the registration desk.

I got an incredibly good price so I don't begrudge the minor deficiencies. I'm glad I stayed here and I will probably stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

As the flights from the UK to the US tend to be fairly pricy, we sought out a cheap alternative for accommodation and found this one. Since we weren't planning on spending any time in the hotel except for sleeping of course, we weren't particularly fussed but this did the trick! It's near the subway and only a few minutes away from the centre of Manhattan. Staff were very friendly and although the amenities are minimal, we wanted for nothing (except it would have been nice to be able to get something to drink and eat when we arrived very late in the evening - however thanks to the closeness of the subway it was fine!). It's handy that they have a PC available for guests in the lobby and the coffee was surprisingly good for coming from a machine. The breakfast isn't impressive but with so many fantastic places in the city to eat, who needs it? :)

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Quality Inn Long Island City? Share your experiences!