“Fulfilled my needs, nice little Quality Inn. Great value for near NYC.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Long Island City

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
East Providence, Rhode Island
“Fulfilled my needs, nice little Quality Inn. Great value for near NYC.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I was very pleased with my stay here.

I was on a trip attending conferences for work, and by coincidence my favorite band, Phish, was playing a 3 day concert on Randall's Island right after my conference was over on the 10th. So I booked a room here months in advance of the concert dates. Which were July 11th, 12th, and 13th over the weekend. I quickly went from work mode to vacation mode when I hit this hotel. Phish! Wahoo!

At first the area of LIC (Long Island City) this hotel is located in looked a little rough around the edges, but at just under $90 a night I couldn’t resist the price point for this hotel which is a quick subway ride to Manhattan where hotels are hundreds of dollars a night. But I discovered that looks can be deceiving, the area was actually fine whenever I was walking around. I never felt un-safe. I found a parking garage I could walk to seconds away, and the N/Q train runs right near the hotel mere minutes away. This hotel was also good for me since I could hop the N/Q up to Astoria to walk across the RFK bridge to the Phish concert on Randall's Island. Also the 7 train is a couple blocks away at Queensboro Plaza.

I was checked in by a friendly young lady working the front desk around 2PM on the 11th. I wish I could remember her name, but she was very friendly and helpful. She had black hair in her mid-to-early 20's and big gold hoopy earrings.

I had requested a room on a high floor far from elevators, and I was happy that I was put on the top floor in the corner. Nice and quiet for a city room.

My room was spotless minus a couple scuffs here and there and one stain in front of the mini-fridge where someone likely spilled a soda or something. I was in room 601. However these were minor offenses and scuffs and stuff are to be expected. I was very pleased with how the clean the room was overall. The bathroom fixtures were shiny and clean. The beds were firm but comfy and had crisp white sheets. HDTV, mini-fridge, safe, coffee machine, etc. It was a decent size for New York and the surrounding borough’s, so all in all I was very comfortable and happy.

My only complaint with the room I can think of was that the safe was not bolted down. It was a standard little hotel safe, but it was just sitting on top of the mini-fridge. I’m not sure what the point of a safe is when someone could simply pick it up and walk off with it.

All in all this was a good stay, and I would stay here again for sure.

Other things of note:
-Continental breakfast each morning.
-Ice machines are on lower floors, if that matters to you.
-The parking garage I found was $20 a day, I was there for 3 days so the guy said $60. This being NY I decided to haggle and said "how about $50 for the 3 days, huh pal?" and he said "sure." I gave him a couple soda's from my cooler and he kept me on the top floor of the garage.... so... always haggle and be friendly!

Room Tip: Request a room on an upper floor to be above street noise. Also train runs along East side of buildi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Bergen, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Spent eight nights at this hotel for a recent visit to New York. We arrived quite late in the evening and was a bit uneasy when the taxi pulled up next to the hotel. The area looked a bit sketchy, but later turned out to be quite ok afterall. We never felt unsafe walking between the hotel and the local subway station which is located about three minutes of walking from the hotel. Quite a perfect location if you're planning on spending the days at Manhattan as the subway stops at Times Square and also goes all the way to Coney Island. You can also take the subway further north in Queens if you want to look around the local area. The film studio Kaufman is located one subway stop past the hotel. There's also some museums around the same area.
The room itself was nice and clean. The size of the room was as expected due to New York being a big city. The beds are fine and the bathroom is clean.
Due to being located right by the subway there is some noice when the trains pass. For us it wasn't much of a problem but if you are very aware of sounds it might annoy you a bit. Try to get a room not facing the subway.
All in all an ok hotel for a rather cheap price close to New York.

Room Tip: Get a room that isn't facing the subway to avoid some noise
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

In town to visit family (in a small apartment), we chose this hotel and were very pleased. True, it is in sketchy area and it is small, but it was exactly what we needed, and the price was perfect. Everything was very clean (bathroom sparkled), bedding and towels were high quality, room air conditioner top notch (here during a spate of 90-degree days). Parking is on street and at one's own risk, but we had no qualms. Do be aware of limited parking times in some spots, though; we did get a ticket one night for not observing the 8pm to 6pm window. Front staff is most helpful and accomodating. Breakfast area is small but well-maintained and served its purpose. Selection covered all the basics, and the pastries were from a local bakery. There are three high-end hotels within this immediate area, but we will not hesitate to just stay here again. Weren't in town to be inside, anyway!

Room Tip: Hotel is near a train, which we could hear periodically; however, we had no issues with this nor wit...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Horseheads, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

The hotel is very clean, but in a somewhat industrial area with not much within walking distance. Rooms are small, but very clean. Had a City view on the 12th floor and it was awesome! Breakfast was good,,,standard fare. $750 for Fri-Sun night. Shuttle service to nearby train stop is where I had a HUGE issue. After returning from our day in Manhattan, we boarded the shuttle with our daughters, 17 & 8. We were then told to get off the shuttle because other passengers were being picked up at restaurants. The driver said he would return in 20 minutes, so we decided to walk back to the hotel. The next evening, the same thing happened, except this time, as we walked toward the shuttle, the driver said, "Don't even think about getting on this bus". Apparently for the same reasons as the night before. I felt that "I'm sorry, but the bus is full..." or something to that effect would be much more customer friendly. I could've ripped his head right off for his demeanor, especially when speaking to a family with children. Maybe I'm nit-picking here, but I do believe in customer service and this was a very poor example of it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Limburg, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

- Friendly and helpful staff.
- Manhatten is easily accessible through the Metro and I experienced no safety problems while taking the metro at 0:30AM while on my own.
- The neighborhood does look a bit run down as noted in other reviews, but this is not a problem in itself.
- The room was very clean overall (just minor dirt on light switches and such).
- Noisy room as the above ground metro railway is nearby. It was a bit annoying but I could sleep well. I can however imagine people not being able to sleep due to this. if only the hotel would place more noise resistant windows.
- Ok price.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Bydgoszcz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

First of all we booked it the same day as we went there (because of some problems- it was our last resort). So, we thought ourself lucky ( it was after all busy NYC Saturday). So, having in mind this- the hotel had a great location, quite near the subway. The place itself doesn't have a dining room- you just eat in the lobby. So, there is not enough room for everyone. Maybe because of that breakafast is only served till 9.30. Avoid juice from the machine- is just not for drinking.
The staff was quite friendly- we could leave our luggage in the reception office, even though the place was crowded with another suitcases, and the lady could not almost make any move...So, what the place really needs is a storage room.
The room was great. Big bed, and a jacuzzi in the room!!! We had a great fun ( especially our 4 year old son- we literally dragged him out of water:))

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Chennai (Madras), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for approx 3 weeks in the month of May 2014. Rooms were good. House keeping was also fine. The hotel is very close to queens plaza station hence well connected to most of the New york. All this was fine. But following aspects need serious improvement -

1. The WiFi facility is very poor. High unsecured network. Most of the apps couldn't connect easily. The speed was also poor. Devices kept giving security warning everytime we tried connecting and it threw us out of the network every 10 mins.

2. Inter room phone service wasn't working

3. The keys to be room would stop working every 3rd or 4th day.

4. The staff at the front desk wasn't courteous. Quite arrogant.

5. No consistency in breakfast menu.

Only good thing was that rooms were good and well designed. An average place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Quality Inn Long Island City? Share your experiences!