“good only if you have a good rate” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #15 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Singapore, Singapore
“good only if you have a good rate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stayed here on 2 occasions during the same trip, which we had our bags stored with the reception for a fee in between. Arrived from JFK via Sky train -> Queens Plaza, and on the 2nd stay, via LGA in a taxi for $18 before tips. Hotel is 10 mins walk from Queens Plaza, and 15 mins on the 'E' train gets you into the heart of Manhattan.

1st room was on high floor facing the taxi depot, can only hear minimal noise from the subway
2nd room was low floor facing 40th Ave and a construction site. During day time, we could hear noise from machines and workers, at night, subway was very audible. Rooms were pretty small, aged, but clean and functional. For the low rate we got, we had low expectations and were fine with the limited service and decent continental breakfast. Freshly made-to-order waffles was a pleasant surprise and coffee was decent.

Overall, we found it to be excellent value for NYC, only because we've got low rates. However, it is not recommended if you are a light sleeper unless you can confirm a good room facing away from the subway

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms facing the subway
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

255 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Houston, Texas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Hotel should do a better job in taking care of was is important to the guest. As a choice member guest that ask for a late checkout I was told it would be and additional $20 per hour. Also the hotel has a complimentary continental breakfast that ends at 9:30 am. Two days in a row I came down for breakfast at 9:10 am and there was very little items left. I ask the attendant for more eggs and he said NO. And Saturday moring the breakfast attendant was sitting to the side eatting himself. I wonder did he get some eggs? I ask front desk about the location of a drug store and was told blocks away on Broadway, but I found one near the hotel on 36th street. I guess they didn't know the area. Most hotels make the guest their priority, but NOT here.

• Stayed May 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

We got an amazing price--about $400 including taxes for 4 nights over Memorial Day weekend. Very friendly staff, though mostly the staff is there for checking in and out; you won't spend much time at the hotel.
Rooms are in good shape, comfortable beds, clean. There is definitely some subway noise, but our room (on the front side) mostly we could just hear rumblings of the trains, nothing too bad. We slept fine.
2 of our 4 days, when we went to take showers, there was NO hot water. Not really acceptable in a newish hotel.
Breakfast would be ok if not for a few issues: Saturday, there was some fresh fruit (bananas and apples). Sunday, when those were empty, I asked the (friendly) worker at breakfast. He shrugged and answered, "It's Sunday." Umm, I do believe that there are fruits sold on Sundays in NYC. Monday, again no fruit. Didn't bother asking. Other than that, there was plenty of coffee, and actually the baked goods (variety of bagels and donuts) was of high quality from a local bakery. Best bagel I've ever had in a hotel!
Location is quite good: From LGA, take M60 bus to Atsoria, then the N/Q train to 39th Avenue Stop. It's about 1 block from there. From JFK, simply take the E train to Queens Plaza and walk the 2 blocks to the hotel. Super easy!
So while at the price we got, we'd recommend it--it's a great deal and we were very happy, I'm seeing rates of $120-200 for some nights and I could see where I'd be expecting hot water if I were paying higher rates.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
California City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

had to book this room because it was a reasonable price from booking right in manhatton. it ended up being conveniently located to a subway station we took to manhatton everyday. the room was clean and the service was good. the breakfast was good. the only thing about this hotel is it is near subway tracks so if your a light sleeper this might not be the place for you.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a few days in April and May 2014. The hotel is what you can expect for the pretty cheap rates (we paid $84 per night), which isn't to say it was bad.

Pros
+ REALLY close to several subway stations (N and Q trains right around the corner, 7, E, M and R trains within 500 meters), so you can used almost any Queens-bound train from and to Manhattan
+ Rooms are clean and spacious enough
+ Staff is very friendly
+ free Wi-Fi (which is generally quite good but has some hiccups when it is really slow)

Cons
- REALLY close to the subway, like right outside the window. If you are a light sleeper, this will be a problem for you
- Breakfast is subpar. It's typically American but only few items and no real selection
- staff is a bit clueless. In our room we had a problem with the Sharp Aquos TV which displayed closed captions (subtitles) for every show. We asked the staff how to turn it off but the guy they sent had no idea.I had to find the solution on the web myself (if this happens to you: request the original remote, it has a hidden compartment at the bottom with a CC button to turn them on and off)

The area looks like a rundown neighborhood but it's actually pretty okay, no problem walking the streets at night or anything.

We would probably stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Binghamton, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Staff was nice, breakfast was pretty good (could have used bacon though), and the room was very nice and clean - only serious complaint was a major lack of hot water. Location was pretty convenient for me since I was using the 39th Av subway a lot. Stay off the local Chinese place though - not so impressive.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
College Park, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Quality Inn for two nights during the weekend and although I had my doubts about this place because of other reviews (such as noise), I was steered wrong. This hotel is right off of 39th Av subway station, literally a block or two away. Even at night I felt comfortable enough to walk to the hotel and from the station. To avoid the high prices of downtown NYC, look out in the suburbs that are subway accessible, such as this hotel in Long Island City (aka Queens).

This hotel was really clean and well kept. The complimentary breakfast was a nice touch as well!

The downside was the lack of information by staff, I was simply checked in and got my credit card swiped and told to go to my room, not much more. I wish I would have received some info about like whats around the hotel, where to go, what to do, I had to find this in a drawer that had the info (which I was not told about). The cleaning was unannounced and someone just showed up at the door to do it. But besides that, it was a great stay and I definitely recommend the pizzeria next door!

• Stayed March 2014

Been to Quality Inn Long Island City? Share your experiences!