“Impressive For A Budgetel” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Impressive For A Budgetel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We wanted to find a place that was close to Manhattan that was reasonably priced. The Comfort Inn was just perfect for our stay. We were surprised to see that our room was equipped with a flat screen television, marble bathroom floors, climate control, closet, desk area, free wifi, and a comfortable queen sized bed. There were even 2 nightstands with lamps and an alarm clock, although there was a thin layer of dust on the lamp. The room was smallish, but we've stayed in much smaller elsewhere. They even offered a free continental breakfast in the lobby.

For $76/night, this place was the bargain of the century, especially considering it was only 2 stops from Manhattan. We would stay here again, especially if they decide to dust their furniture on occasion.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

268 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel when I for a week whilst on holiday in New York. The hotel is a quick train ride away from the main attractions and stops in New York such as 5th ave and Madison square gardens. The price is adequate for what it is, like a few if the other reviews have said though, although being close to the station after dark it doesn't seem to be the safest area to hang out in after, although I never had any problems whatsoever during the time I was there. The morning breakfast was basic and the seating area was very cramped. This is the sort of hotel that is good if you are looking for somewhere relatively cheap and close to the main town and will be happy to the bare necessities.

• Stayed November 2012
Henderson, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This motel is located across the East River from Manhattan in a largely bleak industrial area. One concern I had was that what appeared to me like neighborhood drifters would enter through the front door and avail themselves of the complimentary breakfast. I even held the door for one of them as he was entering! Otherwise, the rooms are on the small side but maintained OK. My room had a safe inside the wardrobe to lock up my valuables I didn't want to carry on me during the day. There was also a coffee maker and mini fridge. There are some other hotels nearby and the N train stops just one street away for very quick 24/7 access to Manhattan. If you stay here, beware of the train and car noise and also that the closest shopping and eating services are a stop or two north via the N line. If you have a vehicle, free street parking will be hard to find. The desk recommends a pay lot not far away. The desk clerk did provide me with a subway map but didn't have one for the bus routes which could be useful if you stay here. You can find the 32 bus a few blocks south fo the hotel on Queens Blvd and ride it down 5th Avenue all the way to Macy's on 34th.

Room Tip: I'm afraid you're going to hear the train noise from almost andy room.
Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for five nights basically because it was a cheap option for visiting NYC. The hotel is clean and comfortable and the breakfast is OK for the price.
It is well located for quick easy access into Manhattan and the subway stations are very close by for walking. However the area is industrial and dirty but we felt safe walking back from the subway late at night after a show.
The subway trains are very noisy from the rooms and I mean noisy although I did get used to the thundering rattling of the trains.
I would stay here again due to the cost being a third of the price of a very ordinary Manhattan hotel but the thing you do miss out on is walking about your neibourhood which is so enjoyable if you stay in Chelsea or midtown or the UWS. But that's the price I think you pay!

Room Tip: Bring your earplugs
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I travel to NYC frequently and have stayed in MANY different hotels in Queens, NJ, and Manhattan itself. This review is based comparatively. My daughter and I stayed here because of the 'convenient' location to Manhattan.

Let me start with the pros...
Nice, clean room, and a cordial front desk staff - albeit not too informed about getting to and from the city OR what's even in the city.

Now the cons...
-The breakfast is just eh. I've had many other 'continental' breakfasts and this one is on the lower end, albeit clean. They don't have cream for coffee, just milk? Wow. The seating area IS in the lobby and small, but we didn't have a hard time finding a seat.
-There is A LOT of train noise in the room. We were on the 5th floor and back and forth on a Sunday night the trains chugged. Fortunately we were exhausted from our trek through Manhattan that day so slept through the noise. If you're a light sleeper, I'd be wary.
-An employee was standing just outside the front door having a cigarette while my daughter and I carried our 5 bags in and didn't make any effort to hold the door open for us as we struggled with our bags to open the door.
**Although the location is a short walk to the subway, the subway station the front desk clerk directed us to, took us to Queens Plaza which is the E train. My daughter and I walked there about 1 in the afternoon, to spend the day in the city, and knew then and there, it WAS NOT an area to walk back through after dark. Very desolate, lined with dilapidated buildings, and empty fenced in areas lining the entire walk back to the hotel. The train station is NOT manned and is VERY deserted, even in the afternoon. I'm not a wimp by any means. I have stayed in so many questionable areas around the city and have never felt 'nervous' about walking around at dark before. I was nervous.
I believe there may be another station in the opposite direction of Queens Plaza that may be more inhabited. However, even after driving around the immediate hotel neighborhood the next day, I'm GLAD we took the train that night to Astoria and back tracked via taxi back to the hotel. It's VERY sketchy day and night...just be careful.
THAT said...if I knew definitely there was another route to walk to a different train station that was inhabited by people, I would probably stay there again and give it a try because of the cleanliness of the hotel and the reasonable price. AND I stress....only stay there if a REASONABLE price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel is really near to the subway and just 4 stations from Times Square. So is a good place to stay. If you look around is not the best place, but I felt really safe there and as it is really near to the subway you don't tak long walks from one to another. I got back from Broadway late at night and felt really safe.
The room is not huge but with enough space for New York. As most of the turists don't spend a long time in the room you will enjoy the confy bed and the clean bathroom. There is a huge TV and a wardrobe. I didn't put my things on the wardrobe, let everything on my baggage, what gives you and idea of the area of the room, I had 2 Giant bags and 2 middle, and I could let everything open and still walk in the bedroom.
The staff were helpful, for new Yorkers... At least they gave us good advices. And the breakfast is good, thinking about New York that is difficult to find a hotel with this.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Quality Inn Long Island City? Share your experiences!