“Depends what you're looking for” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Depends what you're looking for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I travel to NYC frequently and have stayed in MANY different hotels in Queens, NJ, and Manhattan itself. This review is based comparatively. My daughter and I stayed here because of the 'convenient' location to Manhattan.

Let me start with the pros...
Nice, clean room, and a cordial front desk staff - albeit not too informed about getting to and from the city OR what's even in the city.

Now the cons...
-The breakfast is just eh. I've had many other 'continental' breakfasts and this one is on the lower end, albeit clean. They don't have cream for coffee, just milk? Wow. The seating area IS in the lobby and small, but we didn't have a hard time finding a seat.
-There is A LOT of train noise in the room. We were on the 5th floor and back and forth on a Sunday night the trains chugged. Fortunately we were exhausted from our trek through Manhattan that day so slept through the noise. If you're a light sleeper, I'd be wary.
-An employee was standing just outside the front door having a cigarette while my daughter and I carried our 5 bags in and didn't make any effort to hold the door open for us as we struggled with our bags to open the door.
**Although the location is a short walk to the subway, the subway station the front desk clerk directed us to, took us to Queens Plaza which is the E train. My daughter and I walked there about 1 in the afternoon, to spend the day in the city, and knew then and there, it WAS NOT an area to walk back through after dark. Very desolate, lined with dilapidated buildings, and empty fenced in areas lining the entire walk back to the hotel. The train station is NOT manned and is VERY deserted, even in the afternoon. I'm not a wimp by any means. I have stayed in so many questionable areas around the city and have never felt 'nervous' about walking around at dark before. I was nervous.
I believe there may be another station in the opposite direction of Queens Plaza that may be more inhabited. However, even after driving around the immediate hotel neighborhood the next day, I'm GLAD we took the train that night to Astoria and back tracked via taxi back to the hotel. It's VERY sketchy day and night...just be careful.
THAT said...if I knew definitely there was another route to walk to a different train station that was inhabited by people, I would probably stay there again and give it a try because of the cleanliness of the hotel and the reasonable price. AND I stress....only stay there if a REASONABLE price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel is really near to the subway and just 4 stations from Times Square. So is a good place to stay. If you look around is not the best place, but I felt really safe there and as it is really near to the subway you don't tak long walks from one to another. I got back from Broadway late at night and felt really safe.
The room is not huge but with enough space for New York. As most of the turists don't spend a long time in the room you will enjoy the confy bed and the clean bathroom. There is a huge TV and a wardrobe. I didn't put my things on the wardrobe, let everything on my baggage, what gives you and idea of the area of the room, I had 2 Giant bags and 2 middle, and I could let everything open and still walk in the bedroom.
The staff were helpful, for new Yorkers... At least they gave us good advices. And the breakfast is good, thinking about New York that is difficult to find a hotel with this.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is an efficient way to stay in NY, which can save you up to 50% compare to a 3* hotel in Manhattan. This hotel is located 5 min walking distance from the subway station and additional 15 min metro ride from the Times Square (direct line). Trains are running every 5 min, which is great, but they also make lots of noise that you can hear from the hotel.

The neighborhood is ok. The rooms are good and clean. Breakfast selection is small yet enough to start your day. The service is very good and the staff is very helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 1st or 2nd floor (or in the basement, if you don't mind to have very small...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for six days and we were fairly happy.

Pros:
- Very close to metro station so you're in Manhattan in no time
- Clean sheets and towels every day
- Breakfast was simple but nice. Donuts, bagels, croissants, bread, cereal, oatmeal, bananas and apples. All of it was fresh, except for the apples. The yoghurt was delicious and had three kinds of flavors
- Staff was very friendly and accommodating

Cons:
- Because of the proximity to the metro station and the lack of double windows there was quite some noise. But we were so tired at the end of every day that we slept right through it.
- Breakfast got slightly dull after six days. The apples were too ripe and not tasty.
- We suspected one of the cleaning ladies used (expensive) bathroom products of my girlfriend. Not sure though.
- Neighborhood looked a tad dodgy, but we never felt unsafe.

Price - quality ratio is excellent. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to visit New York.

Room Tip: Rooms on the southwestern side are located away from the metro station and are probably a bit quiete...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Quality Inn Long Island City? Share your experiences!