“Great location, perfect (NYC) price” 4 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn Queens New York City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   37-18 Queens Blvd, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #19 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Frankfurt, Germany
“Great location, perfect (NYC) price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

I have visited New York City before - in October 2006 I opted to stay at the Red Roof Inn in Secaucus, NJ - I liked price and location at the time, but in retrospect, getting to Manhattan was troublesome: the NJTransit bus only drove once or twice per hour, it didn't drive late nights, well, I just had to plan carefully. So this time I was looking for something easier, something closer. Looking at price lists (I was planning a visit for mid-december!), reading reviews, I once again found myself lost. Manhattan is too expensive alltogether, or the places look really weird - so off to Queens or Brooklyn it is. The LaQuinta Inn immediatly caught my eye, physically and transportation-wise close to Manhattan, acceptable price (certainly not cheap), great reviews. I made my reservation and wasn't disappointed - to the contrary, for everyone unwilling or unable to pay Manhattan prices, this is THE place to stay.
In the weeks prior to my arrival I was a little unsure about how I was going to get to and from the hotel. I would be arriving with a rental car, returning the car to JFK shortly after, and on my final day head out to JFK for my flight home. The name "Queens Blvd" led me to believe that traffic and parking was really going to be a pain - boy was I wrong. I drove Queens Blvd all the way from I-678, several miles, on a sunny Saturday afternoon. It took a while, but traffic was light - arriving at the LaQuinta Inn, almost at the western end of Queens Blvd, I found a parking space right in front of the property, there was a lot of parking available under the (elevated) subway as well. Well, to be fair, the situation was different during the week with all parking spaces occupied during daytime.
The hotel is well maintained, clean, but could use new furniture sometime in the future. I did not spend a lot of time in the hotel, so I can't say anything about breakfast, fitness center etc. The only things I used were my room, wireless internet and the vending machines - no major complaints except for a tricky shower switch and a freezing refridgerator. The front desk staff was very friendly and allowed me to leave behind my luggage on the last day before heading to the airport late afternoon. However, I was not all that happy with housekeeping, it seemed to be the same crew working every day and everyday I found myself a little unhappy about something. One day they did not put the pillows back on my bed, another day they didn't leave new coffee for the coffee maker, it all led me to belief that we were disagreeing on appropriate tips...
My room was facing east to 38th street, a little elevated. In December 08 I was overlooking the (re-)construction site of the McDonalds restaurant next door. It was mostly quiet at night (not much traffic anywhere, a little rumble from passing subway trains), during daytime there was some traffic outside the window. Oh, speaking of windows, from the 40th St subway station as well as 47th Ave you have a great view of Manhattan's skyline: Empire State Building, United Nations, its all there.
Now to the location: The 7-Train (Times Square, Grand Central Station) runs right outside the hotel - the 33rd St and 40th St stations are about the same (5min walk) distance from the hotel. Judging by the green light, at least 40th St has assistants on duty 24/7. The trains run in very close intervals but can become crowded during morning and afternoon hours - please keep in mind, that express trains DO NOT STOP. Also note, that the subway runs above ground in this part of queens, be prepared to walk up some 40-50 steps to reach the track, no elevator on either station. The train takes roughly 15min to Times Square.
If you're hungry, just head east on Queens Blvd. The neighborhood may look a little strange at first, but I had no worries walking in the dark, there were constantly people entering and exiting the subway (although I do suggest staying on Queens Blvd). There are multiple restaurants and diners within walking distance.
If you're looking to go to JFK without a cab or rental car, consider the subway. I used it for my return trip. Just use the 7-train eastbound, switch at 74th St to E-train all the way to Jamaica Station (use AirTrain JFK to get to airport). It takes about an hour.
Looking back, I would stay here again in an instant, unless someone offered to pay a high quality hotel in Manhattan...

• Liked — location and price (NYC area)
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

567 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Hebrew first
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

Booked two rooms here in early Dec 08 for musicians playing in NYC. Its a real bargain and very very convenient. The property manager, Mr. Patel, is a good man and very helpful to hotel guests. I recommend this hotel to anyone who wants fast access to Manhattan on the train (right outside the hotel) and great pubs and restaurants in the neighborhood. Also...very clean at 1/3 Manhattan hotel prices.

• Liked — Convenient to Manhattan at 1/3 pf the price
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hinesville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

I stayed at LaQuinta Inn July of 2007. It was my first trip to New York, and I was going alone. Being female and diminutive in size (4'10"), this was an overwhelming process for me as I wasn't sure what to experience. My kids (12 and 13 at the time) were visiting their father in Hawaii, and this was the first real trip that I had away from them. I had planned the trip quite spontaneously getting airline tickets, and I was trying very hard to get good prices to make the trip as cheap as possible without regretting it. I was going to stay from Saturday morning and leave the next Saturday morning. When I arrived at the hotel, I was surprised at the order and cleanliness of the room and the lobby. They had a breakfast area (I didn't use it). I had planned on using the subway (again, for the first time) for the entire week and so decided to get started and the hotel reps directed me to the closest station. It was within walking distance and I had no problem getting my metro card. I used it to go to Manhattan and Brooklyn. There's a McDonald's right next to the hotel if you have to eat and run. There were a few times in the morning where I did that. I found the hotel very convenient. The subway was the #7 which made a lot of other areas in New York very accessible. Overall, my week was so great because of being at this hotel. Although I always tried to be back at the hotel before dark, there was one time that it had turned dark on the way back. No one bothered me and nothing major happened. Overall, this was a safe area along the main sidewalk running along in front of the hotel. For me, the subway running wasn't a problem, but you can hear it at night and early in the morning. The bed was comfortable and the TV worked well. The bathroom was very clean, and I am very picky about that. The carpet was clean too. I would stay here again even with my two children.

• Liked — Cleanliness and Convenient to subway and Safety
  • Disliked — Hard to understand the accents of the hotel reps
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2008

We had a great time at La Quinta Inn-Queens overall. This is a great hotel if you are on a budget and can't afford to stay in Manhattan. The location was not that great as we had to take the train into the city every day and it got kind of old and took some time away from our sight-seeing. It would've been a lot better if we would've stayed in Manhattan, but we didn't want to pay $300-$500 a night. We think next time we will spend the extra $ and stay in Manhattan. The hotel had many pros, and a few cons. It was very clean and quiet. The staff was friendly and helpful. There was a refrigerator in our room, which was very convenient since we could buy groceries down the street and save a little $ on food. The king suite was VERY roomy and had a sofa. The bed WAS comfy and the pillows too. It was very cozy and I felt a great value for the price. The breakfast was also ABSOLUTELY wonderful. They had all kinds of things, and you can see them on the website. It was so nice to have one meal paid for and it was plentiful. The staff also let us keep our luggage there while we went into the city one last time after we checked out, which was very nice of them and we appreciated it a lot. One con was that there was no hot water in the bathtub. It was almost totally cold and therefore very unpleasant as we had walked around all day in 30 degree weather, and all I wanted to do was come back and take a hot bath. I did not tell the staff about this until we left, so I cannot blame them for not fixing it before we left. We also had to hold the toilet handle down for a few secs each time, but it was not that bad. Another VERY frustrating thing was the very last day when we asked the front desk guy to call a cab to take us to Laguardia. Well he called a driver that arrived in a Lincoln with leather seats, which cost us $12 more than a regular taxi!!! Please, please CALL YOUR OWN TAXI unless you don't mind paying the extra money for a nicer one. If you can afford it great, but we didn't appreciate that at all. I had read it in a review before we went but had forgotten, so please write it down that you need to call a taxi on your own. Those are the only cons I can think of. Bottom line is we would stay there again in a heartbeat if we couldn't afford to stay in Manhattan itself. I will definitely call my own taxi from now on! It is great if you are on a budget. Good luck and have a great time!

• Liked — cleanliness, great price, flexibility, breakfast
  • Disliked — no hot water in bathtub, expensive taxi
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
quizzz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

Hotel La Quinta Inn is a real find for travellers looking for decent quality accommodation at a good price.
We booked via e bookers and secured a 4 night break from 4th to 7th December 2008 inclusive (from Heathrow, London) with direct flights to JFK for just under £500 each. We would have paid almost double this to stay in Manhattan.
We flew with American Airlines, which we found to be basic but adequate
The La Quinta is a $40 (hair raising) yellow cab (ignore any other touts at the airport!) ride from JFk that takes about 20 mins.
Hotel rooms are fairly spacious with large King or Queen beds, television, good bathrooms and the added bonus of a fridge. A free ice machine was available on the 2nd floor.
Cleaned daily with fresh linen. Helpful front desk, open 24hrs for those awkward flight arrivals.
The hotel throws in a basic breakfast of fruit juice, toast, bagels, simple cereals, jam and cream cheese. The coffee aint great but a decent cup of tea can be had.
The immediate area (out of the Hotel and turn right) has a large number of restaurants and bars. As stated by so many others, Petes Grill and Diner is only 2 blocks walk and provides excellent (very large) meals at a decent price. We also ate at the Asian Fusion restaurant on the opposite side of the road to Petes. The menu here cant decide what to be but all of the food was excellent. Walking around the area felt safe at all times.
The Subway is accessed via an elevated station approx 2 blocks away (out the hotel and turn right...opposite Petes diner...so easy to find. Trains here call every 5 mins or so and run to Times square, Grand Central etc. A weeks unlimited travel costs $24 and is well worth it for any stay of 4 days or more.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Kent, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2008

Booked through Ebookers.com, flew with Delta airlines, great flight, clean plane, friendly air crew, got a cab from JFK to the hotel $40, and took about 30 mins. La Quinta is in a great location, just hop on the number 7 train and it takes you into times square in the city, it costs $7.50 for a all day train hopper pass is great value and you get to see all of the city, we bought one for each of our 3 days that we stayed. We also took a bus to the New Jersey "Jersey Gardens" outlet, we got some really good bargains there, the bus from times square is about $11 return and takes 30 minutes. You get a breakfast at the hotel every morning, toast, bagels, pastries, coffee, juice. If you want a cooked breakfast then Petes Grill is a great place to eat, and is great value in the evening too. It is just down the road from the hotel. I can reccomend this hotel 100%

• Liked — Location and Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
SW London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2008

We stayed at La Qunta from 25th nov-dec 2nd.
Was very happy with hotel. Room extremely clean and tidy and maid service everyday,made beds,lots of clean towels and rubbish bins emptied.
Only problems really was that we specified 2 large beds as we (2 adults and 14 year old son) were sharing a room. When we got there,there was only 1 large bed,but no problem as we were imidiately moved to another room. Breakfast wasnt anything special...2 lots of cereal,donuts,brown bananas and watered down orange juice. The toasters didnt work very well either.Would reccomend Pete's grill down the road if you want a change. Despite this,wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
Staff very friendly and location fantastic.

• Liked — Near subway,reasonably priced
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to La Quinta Inn Queens New York City? Share your experiences!