“Not as good as before” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
Flintstone, Georgia
“Not as good as before”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have stayed at the La Quinta Inn Queens on a few occasions and each time it's gotten progressively worse. I'm not saying it's awful, because it's not, but it's not great either.

Pros:
-Location is great. I love Sunnyside and all of the shops, restaurants, entertainment, etc. It's a great place to use as a base for NYC. The 7 train is a couple blocks walk in either direction and only a 15 minute trip into Manhattan.

-Free breakfast. It's not great but it is included. If you don't like it their is a McDonald's right beside the hotel and even better, Pete's Diner and Grill is just a couple blocks away.

-Free Parking. If you drive in NYC, you know what a plus free parking is. Not a large lot, but you'll get in somehow.

-The cleaning staff did a great job during my stay. I always received clean towels and they always made the beds, cleaned, etc.

-Beds are comfortable

Cons:
-The receptionist, managers, staff (not including the cleaning staff) are just not friendly. I'm not saying they're rude, they just don't do the things that most recommend in the hospitality industry, things like smiling, greeting guest, just a simple glance and a hello might be nice from time to time, but you won't get much of that here. I wouldn't let that stop me from staying here of course because I'm not in NYC to make friends with the hotel staff, but it would be nice if they were a little more welcoming I guess.

-The bath tube never drained properly in our room during our stay and our shower knob was broken and never fixed.

-The rooms on the Queens Blvd and the 7 train side of the hotel might be a problem for light sleepers, but I've never noticed it.

All in all, this is a decent choice to use as a base for NYC. It's close to all the main attractions with use of the subway and the Sunnyside area is a nice, safe area to explore as well. If you can get the hotel for a good price then don't hesitate to book it.

Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Hebrew first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Hotel very clean and cleaning staff friendly. Breakfast bar was nice. The only bad thing was at exactly 11:00am the front desk started calling to get us out of the room. We were heading out anyway at that time and went back to answer phone. Lobby then filled with people who had no where to go at the present time luggage and people everywhere.

Stayed August 2014
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

We were leery after a horrible hotel stay (at a competitor) in Highland, NY.
Upon walking in and seeing the lobby and checking in we knew that this would be a much better stay. Staff was professional, parking was free and our room - although small - was clean and nice. Updated and matching furniture, fridge, iron/board, clock radio, coffee maker, hair dryer etc. Extra blanket in the cabinet which I needed because the cooler worked really well. The room was really quiet. We never heard anyone else. Breakfast was good and included eggs, sausage, cereal, bagels, English muffins, bananas, toast, juice, coffee etc. The hotel is in an area with lots of restaurants, bars and shopping (CVS pharmacy, Fresh Market etc) all within walking distance. The #7 train is an easy walk and takes you to and from Manhattan very easily.
All in all we were very happy with our stay and the money we saved by avoiding hotels in Manhattan. Would happily stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Don't come here if you have allergies to feather pillows. I called a week in advance to make sure they had poly filled pillows. The staff told me that they didn't have feather pillows. Upon arriving and checking in room, I looked at pillows and found them to be feathers. I called down to desk and was told "oh well, sleep without pillows", after hearing this I called the 800 number 3 times. Finally, they got pillows. The room was clean and spacious otherwise. Breakfast was all carbs, choose to go down street to a diner and had a great breakfast.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Close to subway. Great helpful Staff. Bit pricy..but you get what you pay. Worth it....Quick service. On second night I went to the room and saw that A/C wasn't cooling down enough. I called front desk , and withing 7 Minutes my A//C was replaced.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Room was clean, staff was helpful. In the washroom you have to pull a gold ring underneath the faucet in the tub to turn the shower on. I found that kinda strange.

We took the subway into town. It took about 1/2hr on subway or a bus took us down 5th ave. That took about 40mins.

Small shops around, McDonalds beside it for a late night snack. Breakfast was pretty good. The only fruit I saw were bananas. Few cereals, bagels, scrambled egg and sausage.

Personally my biggest concern was the commute into Manhattan. Going in was fine but we ended up taking cabs back most of the time. If you are going to take a cab, try going North near Central Park. The ride was the cheapest from there. Average was $20-$30 for a cab.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Sanford, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

So upon a arrival we immediately noticed there was only one towel in the bathroom. When asked to bring towels up to the room the manager acted as if there was a major towel restriction. Ironically the next night we had no wash cloths. When asked for the manager said they ran out of them. I know this sounds pity but to actually run out of towels is a bit crazy. We also noticed very limited parking in the rear. The staff appeared very busy at nothing and could care less about basic needs. Furthermore someone elected to allow construction at the only front entrance during regular business hours. This looked very unprofessional and just tied the lobby up for two days. If I were you I would find another place to stay.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to La Quinta Inn Queens New York City? Share your experiences!