“four letter word - dive” 2 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn Queens New York City
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   37-18 Queens Blvd, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #20 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Murrieta, California
“four letter word - dive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Oh boy, not up to the typical LQ standard. We have this room that is best described as lower level. Our window is about 6 feet up and we see the ankles of people walking on the street. Tub with shower but shower doesn't work, bath only. This lower level room gets lot's of street noise so don't expect a quiet nights sleep. I woke up to f-bombs coming from the street. We didn't know what we didn't know, with that said, we now do know what we didn't know and we know we won't visit this place again. I rated as 2 star, it could be worse. Staff is nice, room is clean and smells very nice.
I do realize that it is a price budget property, I'd have preferred to pay a little more for an upgraded property.
Not all is bad, the location is great. 2 blocks from subway station and a very well lit and safe street. Adjacent to McDonalds which is nice for a quick bite and popular with my child. % minutes via subway to Manhattan and just a 20 cab fare to LaGardia (less than 10 minutes).

Room Tip: ask for a room on floors 2 through 5
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

707 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Hebrew first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed for four nights on a friends recommendation. The location is great, and the price is ok. Breakfast is not as good as we expected. The fridge was so noisy we had to unplug it. The bath exhaust fan didn't work. We asked for more towels and the man was rude. The paint in bath was peeling and moldy. My daughter was grossed out by hair in the bath. The sheets were actually a foot too short. The wifi connection was entirely inadequate. We would not stay there again

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Granite Falls, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

Goods: subway purple line is close. Good view of Manhattan Skyline. Good price. 24 hour front desk.

Needs work: had to dry myself off with a hand towel because there were no bath towels. Breakfast doesn't have much. Maid did not bother to make the beds. Have to get our roomkeys re-coded every night because they don't work. Beds are small and lumpy. Bed sheets are stained and old. Pillows are very small!

• Stayed March 2013
Minnetonka, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Rooms are okay. The location is decent. The service is a bit lacking. It started with not being able to get towels in the rooms. It took a while but we eventually got that taken care of. During breakfast, they are receiving deliveries but they leave the door wide open while several guests freeze in the dining area. Additionally, the toaster is plugged into a cheap power strip with a low amp circuit protector that will not handle the machine. It constantly trips and the guests can't figure out how to make it work. It was pointed out to the attendant and he just shrugged. The breakfast area was busy but the attendant didn't try very hard to keep it clean and stocked. Quote disappointed in the service. Staying 3 more nights so we can see if it improves.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a week with my family. The price was great for NYC and it was so close to the city. While planning our trip, my primary concerns were safety, cleanliness, location and value. I spent days reseraching the reviews on TripAdvisor and other websites, as well as the neighborhood in general. I brought along with me household cleaners and my own sheets, just in case. Here's my opinion:

Safety: The neighborhood felt very safe. There were some nights where we returned after midnight and still felt like it was okay to the hotel from the subway station. The hotel seemed to be filled with other visitors just like us.

Hotel/Cleanliness: Everything was very clean. I did not even use my own sheets. The bathroom was clean and newer looking. I did notice that some people talked about the rooms near the train being loud. We are NOT light sleepers but we were in one of these rooms and did not hear a sound.

Transportation/Parking: If you want to grab a parking spot, get there early. We found a spot as soon as we arrived but we got there on a Sunday around 11am when alot of people were checking out. As far as transportation into the city, we purchased 7-day metro cards at the 40th Street Station for $31.00 ($1 for the card $30 for unlimited rides)

Breakfast: The free breakfast saved us a little bit of money and it was nice to have but we could not eat it every day. There were bagels, english muffins, toast, donuts, cereal and microwaved eggs and sausage. There is also jelly, butter, cream cheese, coffee, hot cocoa and juice.

Area: There is a 24-hour McDonalds directly next to the hotel. The lobby and drive-thru are both open all night long. We ate at Pete's Diner; the food was amazing and the portions were huge. There is a White Castle just past the subway station.

I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Lago Vista, Texas, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

So we only stayed here one night due to being rewards customers and the location and easy access to Times Square, but I was completely disappointed. I dont think this was up to LQ standards. The room was tiny, cold, horrible mattress (seemed broken). When we checked in we were given a room, opened it only to find someone else's luggage. SCARY. All I could think was what if they give someone a key to my room. The women behind the counter was helpful in finding right train to take to get to 911 memorial, but other than that cold greetings. No elevator to ground level, and you either have to carry luggage to 2nd level to get it to elevator then to room or have employees assist with luggage lift, which they seemed put out if you asked. Don't think this room was worth $193.

Only pro is location to very convenient train 7 to Times Square.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to La Quinta Inn Queens New York City? Share your experiences!