“Very Aggressive Maids” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 23 hotels in Long Island City
Anaheim, California
“Very Aggressive Maids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for a week while relocating her to live in Queens, NY.
I wanted to stay in the city since we would also be tourists, but finding an affordable room with two beds was impossible. Since she was going to live in an apartment in Queens, we chose this La Quinta Inn.
Of course, with our luck, we arrived just before hurricane Irene. The hotel was clean, the breakfast two doors down at the diner was better than anything the Inn offered and they delivered, so you know we ate from the diner. Although the service was pretty non-existent at the Inn (hopefully you have some strong folks with you if your luggage is heavy, the lobby is set up very strangely with some stairs before you get to the real elevator. They have a supposed handicap "lift" to substitute for these stairs but it barely holds one person plus one suitcase.).
My issue was with the maid service. The Inn did not supply a "do not disturb" sign for the door. The maids would loudly knock very early in the morning and when you would ask them to come back later, first they would pretend to not understand you. Then they would complain that their work time was almost over. I ended up sending them away several times and just asking for fresh towels and toilet paper. Especially since we were stuck in the room while the trains and buses were shut down for the hurricane, the maids still knocked several times very early in the morning both days. Certainly they must have known about the hurricane!? When they did service the room during our stay, different numbers and types of towels were left each time and written requests left by us for coffee or other items were ignored.
The Inn was a few blocks from the 7 train, but not that close. There was an amazing Italian restaurant up the street called Daizies, definately would recommend that! I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: The 7 train was right outside our window on the front of the hotel. Ask for a room in the middle or...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

707 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Hebrew first
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Let's start with a plus, it's 2 blocks from the 7 train (20 minutes into 5th Ave) & 1 block away is Pete's Grill which is a great value for great food.
Don't waste your money, for what we paid in taxis and 7 train I could've used toward a hotel closer to the city. When originally booking the hotel, there were a few problems and when trying to reach a manager for assistance; he was "never there"; and they would not assist me to help with problem. To my surprise when I had to take the trip at a different date, the manager is at the hotel. I experienced problems checking in which they asked me for a CC even though it was under a company card, they charge my personal CC twice and if I would've not followed up with them I probably would not have recieved credit. I had to call my boss, who was out of the country, to reauthorize everything. Surprise, my room wasn't ready & not wanting to carry my luggage around, reluctantly left it in the lobby for 1 hr while I walked around the area. The breakfast is limited; and I think they reheated the same eggs and sauage everyday, ceral stale, not much of selection as in ad and the fruit was brown banannas. I'm pretty sure there were bed bugs but not being an expert can only assume the daily coffee grind looking pieces in my bed were from them. The housecleaning staff needs a lesson on proper cleaning procdeures. I had recieved a dirty towel on my 2nd day, and don't think they actually cleaned the room during our stay. We didn't bring our car, and thank goodness becuase it's limited and tight parking. I'm usually a traveler that takes these reviews with a grain of salt; but PLEASE reconsider staying here. Give this a pass & two thumbs down! Sorry La Quinta but you need some improvements; obviously took some short cuts.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

The purpose of our trip to NY was to attend the U.S. Open Tennis tournament. For that, this location was perfect. The hotel is right on the 7 train line, 20 minutes from Billie Jean King Tennis Center. It is also about the same distance to Manhattan going the other way. Customer service is not this hotel's strong point. When we returned to our room the first night, tired and hungry, our room key did not work and we were told that we had to switch rooms. We had to pack everything up and move, delaying our dinner by another half hour -- not a pleasant experience for tired, hungry and overheated people. No apology was offered for the inconvenience. Room 201 was in the back of the building at the end of the hall. We did not hear much street noise even though we were in a low floor, but we were right by the fire exit to the back of the building. The exit door slams loudly, but is not heavily used, so it was tolerable. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. For the disabled, the room is wheelchair-accessible and the bathroom is outfitted with lots of grab bars and no vanity or place to put one's toiletries. Free breakfast was blah. The neighborhood is safe and offers many ethnic dining options for cheap prices. We usually got food from one of the many kebab, falafel and shwarma places to take to the tournament rather than stand in line for hours and pay ridiculous prices for junk food at the event. When we first booked our reservation, I was worried about the "ick factor" and what we might find. My expectations were low and so I was pleasantly surprised at what we found. We were only in our room to sleep and shower, so the low end accommodations were enough. Overall, it was a good value and we would consider staying here again if it means we can afford to visit NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor in back of building
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

This hotel is great value for money. We stayed for five days and had made the reservation about 3 weeks in advance, via their website.
I was a bit worried after reading some of the reviews here, but we had no complaints at all. On the contrary, we were very satisfied.

Room: nice, clean, quiet, good size (considering it's NY).

Parking: It is indeed small (maybe 15 cars), but they let you park at "unmarked" spots as long as you don't block any other cars. For reference, we got there on a weekday, around 5pm.

Location: Very close to the subway. This was incredibly convenient both for getting to Manhattan and to Jackson Heights for some excellent dinner options. We usually returned to the hotel around 10pm and felt very safe walking back from the station.

Other: wi-fi worked fine. We could only get very few channels on TV but we didn't really go to NY to watch TV so we didn't care :) .Breakfast was very good. Oh, make sure you get there early, as the breakfast room is not very large and the tables fill up quickly. The staff were very very good at refilling the bagels trays, milk etc.

Overall we were very satisfied with our stay.

General tip for staying in NY: always pick a hotel close to the subway. You do NOT want to waste time getting to your destination every day.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Welland, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Good value and a great location made this hotel a winner for us. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the room was clean. We did have a ground floor room near a door that opened to the back parking area, so it was a little noisy at times - but nothing that interupted the enjoyment of our stay. Very close to two subway stops in an area that felt safe for myself and my son - even at night. Breakfast was adequate and included in the price - what more could we ask for? Parking was a little dicey as it was first come/first served ... we were lucky and got a spot in the cramped parking lot. With our close proximatey to the subway we didn't use our car during our stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I made a reservation with this hotel a month in advance at $110/night. I gave them all my credit card information correctly because I asked them to read it back to me. A day before leaving for Queens I called to confirm my reservation. I also told them I would be arriving in New York at 3am in the morning. They said not a problem. when we got there the guy at the front desk ( I DO remember his name but I won't mention it here) said my reservation was canceled because my credit card had been declined. I told him it wasn't possible but we could pay the whole amount right then and there in cash anyway. He said if we wanted the room we would have to pay a new rate of $189/night. When they showed me the paper sent by the credit card company with the decline I realized they spelled my name wrong (which is why it was declined). I tried to explain but they said they spell names wrong all the time but the credit card still processes it. He told us to call the central reservations. We did so, explained the situation to them - and they hung up on us! We were appalled - so at 4 am in the morning we walked out of there. We went to a Quality inn nearby- great service- they let us do an early checkin (at 7am) rather than make us pay for the whole night.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I had a conference in Manhattan so stayed at this La Quinta for a long weekend. It was cheaper than most hotels in the city and had nice and clean rooms. It took about an hour to get to the financial district by subway everyday; Times Square would be about 30-40 minutes. The area was not as scary as I thought it would be, and there were a few nice fruit stands and markets next door. The best part is that it is right down the street from the 40th St. Subway station. It's a good option if you don't mind the commute time and want a reasonable place to stay at a reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to La Quinta Inn Queens New York City? Share your experiences!