“Hipster Paradise: Space, Trinkets Galore!” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Get 10% Off Mundo
Ranked #15 of 26 Hotels in Long Island City
New York City, New York
“Hipster Paradise: Space, Trinkets Galore!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

From its minimalist typography to its distressed-wood-errwhere thing, Paper Factory is surprisingly fun! It's definitely a hipster paradise, and while you're there, you're bound to see plenty of Toms and Rayban clad folk. Its decor is its own tourist attraction, whimsical and circus-like. Inset lighting, plenty of knick-knacks, and a few leather sofas top off the goodies you see upon entering. The area is industrial, which is to be expected of this area of LIC, and PF plays right into that. Once an abandoned warehouse/parking garage (or something along those lines), Paper Factory has imported all of Williamsburg's quacky but predictable charm to its lobby.

As for the rooms, I was staying in a corner suite, which offered amazing sunset and sunrise views of NYC in the distance, coupled with clean amenities and a trunk filled with - wait for it - an automated TV! My friends stayed in a standard room, and although much smaller, you can't hate on a place with huge windows and a view. Either way you shake it, you get more space for the buck out in LIC as opposed to its Affinia counterparts in NYC.

Location leaves a lot to be desired, and if you're not familiar with the city or subway lines, it can be quite a hassle. I do wish they had more than one main elevator for guests - although it was scarcely used during my stay, I could imagine it would get quite annoying if you're looking for a quick exit. Local neighborhood doesn't feel the safest for young ladies, probably due to the scarceness of people and sketchiness of those you do see. Other than that, this was a short stay, so not many complaints. Just a nice place to go if you know where you're gonna go in the city. If not, I'd suggest something much closer to major subway lines and not so.. in Long Island City.

Room Tip: Corner for the win! Ask for something facing the NYC skyline - you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Ron O, General Manager at The Paper Factory Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of the property and the wonderful moments mentioned. We are glad you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and already looking forward to your next stay.

Your suggestions for the next guest's are fantastic and very useful especially the location, etc.

Thank you once again and see you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Brand new hotel... amazing look. I was blown away walking in.

The staff at the desk were BEYOND friendly. Hands down some of the nicest staff I've ever encountered, especially in New York.

Room was nice, pretty big. Shower was bigger then expected. Bed was pretty comfortable. Was it loud? Not so much. It was things you would normally hear, like doors closing and opening. Other then that... it is not as bad as people think it is. Subway stop at the end of the street got us right to Times Square easily enough.

We spoke with the hotel staff and mentioned that we would also be traveling to Baltimore and the wonderful woman there gave us some suggestions and places to go whilst there AFTER helping us with travel and spots to visit in NYC.. They held our bags after check out while we went to the city one last time. Would 100% stay here again.

Room Tip: elevator was slow... try using the steps instead.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Ron O, General Manager at The Paper Factory Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Dear Christian7247,

Thank you much for taking the time to write about us and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. Some of the specifics you mentioned is extremely helpful not only to us but also to those other guest's that are just getting a glimpse of the experience.

Thank you again and looking forward to your next stay.
New Paltz, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I really wanted to like this hotel and although I really liked the public space, the room felt like the set for a mental institute/hospital. I know there are cozier warmer rooms by the pictures they advertise but it seems that the double rooms have been neglected. Cold concrete floors, rickety ikea furniture and kitschy minimal decorations.

If you plan to just crash for the night and maybe have some drinks on one of their big comfy couches in the main area this is a great place.

There is a fooseball table in the public area and a small cafe open in the morning with coffee.

Room Tip: No doubles unless you must.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Ron O, General Manager at The Paper Factory Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2014
Dear Sebo996,

Thank you very kindly for taking the time to write a review on the Paper Factory Hotel Long Island City for your most recent stay. We take all comments and suggestions very seriously and make it our mission to address these points.
With regards to the Double rooms we have brought back our designer team to see what can be done to liven up these rooms and we have come up with clever solutions to address this exact point.
We hope that the next time you stay with us you will see a drastic change when it comes to those rooms.
I want to thank you once again for your time and looking forward to seeing you as our guest.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

You get a lot of space for this price in NY but it's also far from everything.
Wifi worked only the first day and didn't for the rest of our stay even after talking to the reception about it. The service was a hit or miss; the receptionists were either very nice or very rude who would roll eyes when you ask a question. We also had an incident where they forgot to put the clean towels after the cleaning service so we had to wait for awhile to shower.
When we were checking out, the receptionist was very nice and asked if our experience was good. When we listed a few things, the manager came out right away, apologized, and treated us with a breakfast. I think the management is great but the staff needs better training and consistency in their hospitality.

Room Tip: Walls are very thin so try to ask for a room that's a bit isolated.
Dear Valued guest,

I want to thank you very much for taking the time to write about your most recent stay at The Paper Factory Hotel. We take every comment and suggestion very seriously and take the necessary steps to ensure it is either changed and/or resolved in a timely manner.

I am Happy to inform you that we have listened to not only you but many others on the challenges we HAD with the WiFi. This issue has been addressed and now a thing of the past.

Team members you mentioned that were not accommodating to your needs is completely unacceptable and we have taken the proper steps to re-train the entire team on service. I feel confident that with this needed training you and many of our other guest's will be very surprised on the level of service we are providing, because at the end of the day we are not selling rooms, views or even decorations, we are selling service.

Again, thank you for your time and we are looking forward to be of service again.
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We needed to make a quick trip to the NYC area and decided to make a mini-vacation out of it. I didn't want to spend a lot on a hotel room and decided to look outside of Manhattan for some options. We found The Paper Factory using Trivago and are very happy with the decision to stay there. Overall, it is a very clean property with a unique design. It will be even better when the bar/restaurant opens as there isn't too much else to do nearby. The room was a decent size (compared to some really tiny rooms we've had in the city for more money) and the amenities were fine. The staff was friendly too. And perhaps the biggest shock of all, we parked on the street for free. My suggestions for the property would include the addition of a bath mat...the shower current in our room did nothing to keep water in, making the floor very slick. The room featured a separate shower and sink/toilet area (which we liked) but the wet floor made for tricky walking. Also, get rid of the single ply toilet paper. That was a little too reminiscent of dorm life. Coffee shop in the lobby is great but you might want to consider some complimentary coffee in the morning. And the elevator....a little slow. We didn't mind the stairs to the 5th floor because that is what we would normally do...but I imagine older guests wouldn't care for that. We will definitely come again in the future and have already recommended to friends and family.

Room Tip: The elevator is very slow so if you don't like stairs, get a room on the first or second floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ron O, General Manager at The Paper Factory Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2014
Dear valued guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Paper Factory Hotel Long Island City. It was a pleasure having you as our guest and a pleasure reading your review. Some of the points you made are extremely important for our operation and we appreciate it, especially the suggestions in the restrooms and shower.

Thank you again for your time and looking forward to being of service yet again.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed at this hotel this past weekend with a large number of my family for a wedding. From the moment we checked in we experienced very poor management. We checked in after 3pm but our room was apparently not ready, we had reserved a "king executive". After 30 minutes of the desk person calling and radioing various folks we were given a room, however it was not what we had reserved instead it was a standard queen room. We weren't told anything by the desk about the switch. After we checked out yesterday my parents (my dad is in his 80's), who were also staying at the hotel and had a FAR worse check-in experience, were apparently double charged for their room. This was after they were forced to wait for hours on Friday to check-in because management couldn't get a room sorted for them and got confused because my father and I have the same first name. Apparently even though we have different contact info, different addresses in different states, used different credit cards, and WERE BOTH THERE AT THE DESK it was too complicated for any of the staff.

Now my mother is spending a substantial chunk of her morning trying to untangle the mixup that led to the hotel double charging her and also charging her for what should have been my "king executive" room (which remember I DIDN'T GET).

From check-in to check-out, my cousins being told they were too loud while playing the foosball table on Sat night because it is right next to the office (then why have a game room right next to the office?), a bar that had to send someone to get tonic water, and lots of littel things that all stem from poor overall property management and an apparently inept staff.

The property itself has a lot of promise and is very stylish (although as others have already reviewed, it is very loud and noisy in the rooms). We will not be going back though and will not recommend it to others. There are way too many really great places in the area to have to deal with this kind of experience.

Dear Rob S,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Paper Factory Hotel Long Island City. Your comments, suggestions and challenges are the only way we can improve our service's and for that I thank you once again.
I am not sure why your room was not ready and why you were given a room that you say was not what you were confirmed for, these are things I must investigate and figure out who, what and why. By the looks of things we have lost your trust and business and that is fine but I want you to know that we care, I care. That is the reason I would like to continue this dialogue with you and open a new chapter.
My name is Ron Oz and I am the General Manager of the property and would like the opportunity to speak with you further. Please contact me at your convenience so I can get some closure.

Thank you again and looking forward to be of service.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed at the Paper factory on a spontaneous whim and I was pleasantly surprised at all the little touches and attention to detail the hotel put into their decor. Everyone was very helpful and friendly when we were greeted. The location was also perfect for going out in the city. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and we'll be staying there again!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Yvette,

Thank you very much for taking the time to survey our hotel. We are so pleased that we were able to WOW you and surpass your expectations.

We can not wait for your next stay.

Been to The Paper Factory Hotel? Share your experiences!