“Great hotel right outside of the city” 4 of 5 stars

The Paper Factory Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   37-06 36th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101   |
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Long Island City
Columbus, Ohio
“Great hotel right outside of the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We needed to make a quick trip to the NYC area and decided to make a mini-vacation out of it. I didn't want to spend a lot on a hotel room and decided to look outside of Manhattan for some options. We found The Paper Factory using Trivago and are very happy with the decision to stay there. Overall, it is a very clean property with a unique design. It will be even better when the bar/restaurant opens as there isn't too much else to do nearby. The room was a decent size (compared to some really tiny rooms we've had in the city for more money) and the amenities were fine. The staff was friendly too. And perhaps the biggest shock of all, we parked on the street for free. My suggestions for the property would include the addition of a bath mat...the shower current in our room did nothing to keep water in, making the floor very slick. The room featured a separate shower and sink/toilet area (which we liked) but the wet floor made for tricky walking. Also, get rid of the single ply toilet paper. That was a little too reminiscent of dorm life. Coffee shop in the lobby is great but you might want to consider some complimentary coffee in the morning. And the elevator....a little slow. We didn't mind the stairs to the 5th floor because that is what we would normally do...but I imagine older guests wouldn't care for that. We will definitely come again in the future and have already recommended to friends and family.

Room Tip: The elevator is very slow so if you don't like stairs, get a room on the first or second floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Ron O, General Manager at The Paper Factory Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2014
Dear valued guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Paper Factory Hotel Long Island City. It was a pleasure having you as our guest and a pleasure reading your review. Some of the points you made are extremely important for our operation and we appreciate it, especially the suggestions in the restrooms and shower.

Thank you again for your time and looking forward to being of service yet again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed at this hotel this past weekend with a large number of my family for a wedding. From the moment we checked in we experienced very poor management. We checked in after 3pm but our room was apparently not ready, we had reserved a "king executive". After 30 minutes of the desk person calling and radioing various folks we were given a room, however it was not what we had reserved instead it was a standard queen room. We weren't told anything by the desk about the switch. After we checked out yesterday my parents (my dad is in his 80's), who were also staying at the hotel and had a FAR worse check-in experience, were apparently double charged for their room. This was after they were forced to wait for hours on Friday to check-in because management couldn't get a room sorted for them and got confused because my father and I have the same first name. Apparently even though we have different contact info, different addresses in different states, used different credit cards, and WERE BOTH THERE AT THE DESK it was too complicated for any of the staff.

Now my mother is spending a substantial chunk of her morning trying to untangle the mixup that led to the hotel double charging her and also charging her for what should have been my "king executive" room (which remember I DIDN'T GET).

From check-in to check-out, my cousins being told they were too loud while playing the foosball table on Sat night because it is right next to the office (then why have a game room right next to the office?), a bar that had to send someone to get tonic water, and lots of littel things that all stem from poor overall property management and an apparently inept staff.

The property itself has a lot of promise and is very stylish (although as others have already reviewed, it is very loud and noisy in the rooms). We will not be going back though and will not recommend it to others. There are way too many really great places in the area to have to deal with this kind of experience.

Dear Rob S,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Paper Factory Hotel Long Island City. Your comments, suggestions and challenges are the only way we can improve our service's and for that I thank you once again.
I am not sure why your room was not ready and why you were given a room that you say was not what you were confirmed for, these are things I must investigate and figure out who, what and why. By the looks of things we have lost your trust and business and that is fine but I want you to know that we care, I care. That is the reason I would like to continue this dialogue with you and open a new chapter.
My name is Ron Oz and I am the General Manager of the property and would like the opportunity to speak with you further. Please contact me at your convenience so I can get some closure.

Thank you again and looking forward to be of service.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Paper factory on a spontaneous whim and I was pleasantly surprised at all the little touches and attention to detail the hotel put into their decor. Everyone was very helpful and friendly when we were greeted. The location was also perfect for going out in the city. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and we'll be staying there again!

• Stayed July 2014
Ron O, General Manager at The Paper Factory Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Dear Yvette,

Thank you very much for taking the time to survey our hotel. We are so pleased that we were able to WOW you and surpass your expectations.

We can not wait for your next stay.

St. Petersburg, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Right next to the subway station in Queens, yet you can easily walk past this very industrial looking building. Inside it is just beautiful - if you are into this kind of things. We are, so we liked iron and wood, high ceilings and big spaces. It was something different and unusual. There is no breakfast - you can have a cup of coffee in the lobby or it in a small diner nearby. Still, you are not far away from Manhattan. Big thanks to the staff for letting us leave our luggage, while we were out in New Orleans for a few days. From three hotels we stayed in New York this one was, i guess, the most distinctive and interesting one.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Isabella,

Thank you much for your review of the Paper Factory Hotel, Long Island City. It is a pleasure reading your review personally and I'm sure for others as well.

I am glad we exceeded your expectations and are looking forward to seeing you as our guest once again.

Thank you for your review and for the pictures as well.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Me & My Husband stood here it was great & when you walk in you Smell the Nicest smell Ever coming From this Hotel & it's all over but anyways Lol.Our stay was wonderful Nice bathroom, Great Big Room, Comfortable Bed, Just a Awesome stay at a New Hotel The Paper Factory

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Nicole,

Thank you for your review and the pictures (they look great).

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we are already looking forward to your next stay.

St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I found this hotel online for a ridiculously affordable amount considering it was in New York. I was sceptical that the price was so good, but boy was i impressed!! The atmosphere just walking into the hotel alone was incredible. The industrial theme was a great choice for decor, the decorations throughout the lobby were impressive and cool. The music in the back ground was a great vibe. Our bedroom was fantastic! If I had to live in a dorm room for school or decorate a guest bedroom in my house, I would model it after the room we stayed in. The shower in the bathroom was a great size, overall the room was clean and tidy and just perfect all around. If you have a family and do not want to be right in the middle of the hustle and bustle of New York, but close enough that transportation does not cost you an arm and a leg, then this is the place to stay. Don't even get me started on the staff, they were absolutely AMAZING!! Specifically one staff member named Maria. She was on top of everything for us, anything we asked, in a blink of an eye she had it for us, she took pictures for or, and was probably the only person who pointed us in the right direction every time we needed to go somewhere. She was welcoming, always had a smile on her face, and overall just a lovely girl!
The only negative thing I have to say is that there is no restaurant in the hotel, but that is only because it is brand new and just opened in december. I did see it being built and it looks as amazing as this hotel. I cannot wait for us to come back and see what the finish product looks like!!!
Thanks for making our trip even that more special The Paper Factory Hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor when booking your room so you can have a good view!
Nadia,

What a wonderful read! You completely felt and experienced exactly what we are offering to all of our guest's on a daily basis- SERVICE.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and please make sure to be on the look out as Mundo; our Restaurant, Bar and lounge will be opening its doors very soon.

Thank you again and looking forward to being of service.
Fort Mill, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I stayed here with my daughter and her friend this past Wed-Sat. Her friend was invited last minute but I didn't want to pay for a cot. The 3 of us shared a HUGE, COZY bed. This hotel is just plain cool and the customer service is beyond excellent. It is very creatively decorated. The rooms are huge and full of beautiful light. The outside sounds were very muted. The bathrooms are big, clean and gorgeous. The rooms are decorated in a way that combined my love of all types of art AND recycling. I was basically in hotel heaven. The M and R trains were right across 36th st and an easy trip to the city. My biggest advice is about the subway. If you take the M or R, you can get off at 36th and Northern. Getting off another train (R) you will need to get off at 39th. Be aware that there is a 36th ave aif you are looking at a map. Getting off at the 39 station you must walk towards Northern. Walk down to 36 STREET. We got turned around the first day because we were unfamiliar with the area. Look at your door key. The subway lines and stops you need are on the key, and a map. It was very helpful. There is parking for 13$ per night at 30-30 Northern. They were great as well! Stay here!!!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Khloe,

It was a pleasure reading your review and we are so glad that you, your daughter and her friend enjoyed your stay.
Some of your suggestions were spot on and would certainly help that next guest who needs some assistance.

Thank you again and looking forward to your next stay.

Been to The Paper Factory Hotel? Share your experiences!